divine

Chilli growing

Feed the inner hippy in you....

Re: Chilli growing

Postby khazarmac » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:39 am

Guys,

as a regular chilli grower, don't forget that chillies are perennials and your plants can be kept growing over winter. Bring them in, prune them back (not too hard) and put in a sunny, frost free room of conservatory and keep them watered. Then, come February/March next year, re-pot them and and give them s much sun as you can (indoors). As soon as the risk of frost is over, you can get them out and you will get chillies months before before people growing fresh plants from seeds.

I also have a small Thai chill that I have on my kitchen window sill that has been growing, and fruiting, for 5 years or more and produces fruit all the year round (small but potent).

Malc
khazarmac

Postby Dean0 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:13 pm

Beer Hunter wrote:
Sidebyside wrote:I don't grow peppers anymore they really attract whitefly....

I've had the same problems with greenfly, but spraying with a decent insecticide gets them.
The trick is using the insecticide correctly - whitefly and greenfly have a very short life cycle of about 3 weeks. So using a chemical method you have to repeat the treatment every 3 or 4 days for at least 3 weeks.

I also use an insecticide smoke bomb after cleaning the greenhouse in the autumn and one again after cleaning in the spring - my job for this weekend :)

Kev.

:mad: a tablespoon of fairy liquid (the original green seems to work the best) in 5 litres of water and used as a spray is deadly to green, white and black fly, (in fact will almost instantly kill any insect including wasps) but is harmless to plants and you. It is also cheap and can be re-applied as frequently as you need.
Aye, no bad for a sassenach !
Dean0
Pea shooter
Pea shooter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Born Again » Fri May 31, 2013 10:27 pm

Dean0 wrote: a tablespoon of fairy liquid (the original green seems to work the best) in 5 litres of water and used as a spray is deadly to green, white and black fly, (in fact will almost instantly kill any insect including wasps) but is harmless to plants and you. It is also cheap and can be re-applied as frequently as you need.

Timely advice, my Dorset Nagas have been hit my greenfly, although strangely the other varieties are untouched.
Born Again
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Hovannes » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:47 pm

I've got some Anaheims in and will probably add Fresnos and Hungarians to the mix this weekend.
Hovannes
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Hovannes » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:38 am

So far I've got 7 Anaheim and 2 Fresno in the ground, and one of the Anaheim has blossoms! :grin: I need to add a few Jalapenos.
Hovannes
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Hovannes » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:40 pm

Added two Armenian Longs to the pepper garden. I've got six little green Anaheims and four little green Armenian long peppers, but so far no Fresnos have made an apprearence :(
Hovannes
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Fenrir » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:51 pm

Off to visit this place tomorrow all being well.

http://www.edibleornamentals.co.uk
For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
Fenrir
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Previous

Return to Grow your own / smallholding / the good life / alternative fuels / etc