divine

Chilli growing

Feed the inner hippy in you....

Re: Chilli growing

Postby Sidebyside » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:22 pm

Beer Hunter wrote:
Sidebyside wrote:I don't grow peppers anymore they really attract whitefly....

I've had the same problems with greenfly, but spraying with a decent insecticide gets them.
The trick is using the insecticide correctly - whitefly and greenfly have a very short life cycle of about 3 weeks. So using a chemical method you have to repeat the treatment every 3 or 4 days for at least 3 weeks.

I also use an insecticide smoke bomb after cleaning the greenhouse in the autumn and one again after cleaning in the spring - my job for this weekend :)

Kev.

Thanks for the advice Kev , I couldn't believe how many whitefly were on each plant ,they must multiply with an urgency .
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Born Again » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:02 pm

No sign of my chillies yet, I only put them in two weeks ago though as I wasn't sure what was happening with the weather.

Tomatoes, courgettes and beans are away to a good start though. Aubergines and radish have just gone in.
Born Again
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Beer Hunter » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Some take longer than others - I've seen some take 40 days :shock:

Mine are all on their second pots now and I'm awaiting delivery of "grow pots" to house the extras this year.
If you've not used grow pots before, they are well worth the small investment - especially for tomatoes where the yields are much higher with them.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby RichardH » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:42 pm

I cant talk about my secret garden in the attic ;)
RichardH

Postby Beer Hunter » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:00 pm

RichardH wrote:I cant talk about my secret garden in the attic ;)

Hydroponics or is that where you keep your ladies?

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby martinmoreton » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:45 pm

got some good ones on the go. ill post a pic when they ar worthy. :thup:
martinmoreton
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby Born Again » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:24 pm

Both the sweet chillies and the hot ones are up now, potted on and sitting in the greenhouse. If they all survive I should have sackloads.
Born Again
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Born Again » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:33 am

The Cayenne peppers are doing really well in this lovely weather, they seem to love the heat as there are loads of fruits on all the plants. The sweet peppers are just starting to set fruits, they didn't flower until much later than the Cayennes which is just as well as they appear to cross-pollinate. I have one Cayenne plant covered in long thin cayenne peppers with a solitary sweet pepper growing on it :shock:

I can't wait to see what the hybrid tastes like.
Born Again
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Sidebyside » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:49 am

Had my first lot of tomatoes from the greenhouse today , :thup: :)
Last edited by Sidebyside on Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby humperdingle » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:57 am

I've got 4 different chilli plants on the go - Planted them in April (I think) from seeds. They're not in a greenhouse or protected in any way - Just on a south-facing balcony. Tallest is still only around 8", with no signs of any chillis yet. Any idea of harvest time? I'm assuming up here isn't the best climate to be growing chillis :oops:

They look healthy enough plants, though. :thup:
humperdingle
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shaun A. » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:49 pm

I was given plants from Kev(Beerhunter), the jalapeno plants have fruit about 2" long and the pepper ones have fruit that don't seem to be getting any bigger, how and when are they ready to harvest :oops:

Shaun.
Go fetch to me a pint o wine,
And fill it in a silver tassie;

Robert Burns, 1789.
Shaun A.
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Born Again » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:06 am

humperdingle wrote:Tallest is still only around 8", with no signs of any chillis yet. Any idea of harvest time? I'm assuming up here isn't the best climate to be growing chillis :oops:

8 inches ? It must be cold up there :grin: I took the tops out of mine when they got to about 4 foot tall. They're covered in Cayenne chilis, I've given spares to friends and neighbours because so many shot up tall and I don't have room in the garden for them. They seem to love the hot weather we've been having.
Born Again
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Fenrir » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:02 pm

All are now harvested in, the freezer is half full of a variety of different chillis. Ate a whole scotch bonnet tonight by mistake, will try not to repeat that one again. :grin:
For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
Fenrir
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby alan108 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:03 am

Born Again wrote:No sign of my chillies yet, I only put them in two weeks ago though as I wasn't sure what was happening with the weather.

Tomatoes, courgettes and beans are away to a good start though. Aubergines and radish have just gone in.

Steve gave me a chilli plant earlier this year,and i've had around thirty chillies so far, I think that they are jalapino?
not sure.But, they ain't 'arf 'ot,mum!!! :thup: :thup: They are growing in a large pot on my back wall which is south facing, and well protected from wind and cold.It might also help that I have the boiler outlet flue about 8ft away and the plant is under my all night security light. THANKS Steve :grin:
DSCF0265.JPG

Alan :)
alan108
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Born Again » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:30 pm

alan108 wrote:
Born Again wrote:No sign of my chillies yet, I only put them in two weeks ago though as I wasn't sure what was happening with the weather.

Steve gave me a chilli plant earlier this year,and i've had around thirty chillies so far, I think that they are jalapino?
not sure.But, they ain't 'arf 'ot,mum!!! :thup: :thup: They are growing in a large pot on my back wall which is south facing, and well protected from wind and cold.It might also help that I have the boiler outlet flue about 8ft away and the plant is under my all night security light. THANKS Steve :grin:
DSCF0265.JPG

Alan :)

The Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets are coming along well, I planted them very late but the greenhouse is still warm. Cayennes are still growing in the garden, some are still flowering despite being loaded with ripe fruit. I've already picked more than I can eat fresh or fit in the freezer, so the excess are threaded on cotton drying out.

Alan, I'll start some more varieties early next year, I now have electric propagators and paraffin heaters from an eBay greenhouse clearance ( bargain ) so we can look forward to a bit more variety next year, :grin: :grin: :grin:
Born Again
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Grow your own / smallholding / the good life / alternative fuels / etc