divine

Slug control .............

Feed the inner hippy in you....

Re: Slug control .............

Postby TheSquire » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:02 am

Copper bands round the tops of pots is supposed to deter them, (some electrical interference?) I imagine you could do something similar around raised beds?
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target.........
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." General John Sedgwick
TheSquire
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Linegeist » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:16 am

Yeah .............. I'd seen those things. The problem is, now things are getting a bit tough financially and folks aren't spending their money on dodgy tarmac and pretend roof repairs, we're starting to see more and dodgy-looking Mancy Pikeys driving through the village on their transits looking for anything that's not bolted down.

I'm not sure installing something that repels slugs, but attracts famished gyppoes, is a good idea ................ ay? ;) :grin:
.........und die power wird mit dir sein.........

Feror cupidine partium interdum Europae vincendarum magnarum
I get this urge to conquer parts of Europe and, sometimes, large men
Linegeist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Punchsteve's neighbour ........ on glorious Anglesey!

Postby Keef » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:47 am

Linegeist wrote:I'm not sure installing something that repels slugs, but attracts famished gyppoes, is a good idea ................ ay? ;) :grin:

It is if you wire the copper to the mains! You get to fry both pests!
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Oaken » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:58 pm

The slugs natural predators (other than nematodes) are hedgepigs, toadies and froglets. You could try to encourage these.
Nematodes do work, I have used them on my spud patch, expensive though. They do kill the tiny grey slugs that do so much damage underground.
Dont kill the really big slugs, they only eat decaying veg and are the good guys.
The latest fad at the garden centre/ trinket shop is for pelleted sheeps wool, it expands back to normal sheeps wool when wet and aparently deters slugs.
You could strap a torch to your shotgun and reload your carts with salt.....
atb
Rup
Oaken
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tommo » Sun May 01, 2011 2:10 am

Linegeist wrote:.....I think I'll go and roll in nettles .................. :cry:

Spoken like a true catholic.. :lol: :razz: :lol:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby Linegeist » Sun May 01, 2011 7:41 am

Oaken wrote:You could strap a torch to your shotgun and reload your carts with salt.....
atb
Rup

Actually Rup, I HAD thought of doing that - but I need a lot more practice before I can get the hang of that Leading-The-Target thing shotgunners do. I never seem to give the slugs enough aim-off .............. ;)

Tommo wrote:Spoken like a true catholic.. :lol: :razz: :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :hmm: ;)
.........und die power wird mit dir sein.........

Feror cupidine partium interdum Europae vincendarum magnarum
I get this urge to conquer parts of Europe and, sometimes, large men
Linegeist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Punchsteve's neighbour ........ on glorious Anglesey!

Postby Trex » Sun May 01, 2011 5:19 pm

took me awhile to figure out why my beer reserves kept depleting, turned out that her indoors was using the stella for the slug traps.

Had to point out that the same result could probably be had by buying yeast and mixing it in water, at least that what I have read. So hopefully this year she will do the yeast thing and I will do the drinking thing. :grin:
Trex
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Hares Ear » Sun May 01, 2011 6:03 pm

Empty yoghurt pots!

Put a sprinkling of slug pellets into clean empty yoghurt pots, place them on their sides all round your garden. It keeps the rain off the pellets, stops the pellets from getting into the soil and onto your food, and you can move them to other places when needed.
Robin.
A Snider squibbed in the jungle,
Somebody laughed and fled,
And the men of the First Shikaris
Picked up their Subaltern dead
Hares Ear
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby FXL5 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:16 pm

If you've been machining any copper recently, an alternative to the bands of metal that are easily nickable is swarf. Plenty of it, in a band about an inch wide around whatever you want to protect. It won't do anything about stuff underground, but it poisons them (slugs and snails consider copper viciously toxic), offends their sensibilities (I'm told they don't like metals, something to do with electrical sensitivity), and best of all, if it's sharp little pieces it will cut their 'foot', without which they can neither eat nor move.
Last edited by FXL5 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve Order in the world as well as property . . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." -

Meat is murder. Tasty, tasty murder.
FXL5
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby zzrpilot » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:12 am

Linegeist wrote:
Oaken wrote:You could strap a torch to your shotgun and reload your carts with salt.....
atb
Rup

Actually Rup, I HAD thought of doing that - but I need a lot more practice before I can get the hang of that Leading-The-Target thing shotgunners do. I never seem to give the slugs enough aim-off .............. ;)

Tommo wrote:Spoken like a true catholic.. :lol: :razz: :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :hmm: ;)

You do realise that Victorian kitchen gardners used shotguns to kill catapillars on their fruit bushes :)
they would shoot down the rows and the concusion wave killed the catapillars so should work for slugs too :grin:
Tika T3 Super Varmit .308
Winchester 94AE .357
Savage 93R BTV .22 WMR
Armi Sharps .54
2 x 1858 remmington .44
2 x Dragoon pistol .62
Blunderbuss 12ga(ish)
Brown bess
2 x Arquebus 20ga
Pole gun
Cannon
Armstrong 12Ga S/S
Hatsan MPA 12Ga semi
zzrpilot
Trade Member
Trade Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby FXL5 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Presumably with salt loads? That would do for slugs - I can't imagine lead is good for fruit bushes, in the soil OR smashing through delicate stems.
"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve Order in the world as well as property . . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." -

Meat is murder. Tasty, tasty murder.
FXL5
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby sploot » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:19 am

flintlok wrote:
Sidebyside wrote:Buy 25kg of animal feed grade salt and make a perimeter line with it around your said vegetable plot , you have to keep topping it up but no slugs or snails will cross it and if they do it proves fatal , I have a 100kg of the stuff and it is a guaranteed solution to crop protection , if you want some PM me .

If you use salt in such a manner, wouldn’t that cause the ground water salt (sodium) levels to increase? That may not be a problem if you do not have well water. As I understand nemotodes, they are attracted to the plant roots by the carbon dioxide that the roots produce however minuscule. Also nemotodes tend to burrow deep in a garden. Lime (calcium hydroxide) readily absorbs carbon dioxide and can be used to adjust soil pH. Excessive lime will “burn plants” but just might be useful to create a barrier under and around plants or small gardens to produce a similar effect as the salt on pests. It's a little like playing chemistry with your garden to defeat the little buggers.

Its true, salt proper f***s 'em. My dad used to pour a little on each slug and they dissolved. He used to use slug pellets too. I have heard bowls of beer in strategic places are excellent as slugs are irresistibly attracted to beer.. Me too!!! I just cant find a bowl big enough to drown in lol.

Sodium imbalance in the soil effects the ability of the plant to take up potassium and may even lead to reverse osmosis within the plant.

However. Ducks are still used in developing countries to remove these and other pests from crops, you get eggs and they fertilise the soil!!!
Cupar weather http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... uery=cupar
Goa weather http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/43192.html
Escape to paradise http://www.vaastuvillagoa.com
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
I like things that go
BANG!!!
sploot
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby waterford103 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:53 pm

Slugs won't cross bare copper wire/tape ,I put copper wire around our strawberry tubs and they were left alone,I made raised beds for the veg and did the same ,same result .It's gone a bit green now so a quick rub with some steel wool to shine it up should restore it.

:thup: :thup: :thup:
waterford103
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Dean0 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:21 pm

A copper strip around your produce will send them looking for an easier meal, they will not cross it at any cost. No need to shine it up, verdigris (copper oxide/salt) covered tape or wire will work better than new copper. Just remember that copper in high concentration is poison to plants, so it must be at least 6" (150mm) away from crops.
Aye, no bad for a sassenach !
Dean0
Pea shooter
Pea shooter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Previous

Return to Grow your own / smallholding / the good life / alternative fuels / etc