divine

Experiment with solar power.

Feed the inner hippy in you....

Experiment with solar power.

Postby 1066 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:59 pm

Thought you guys might be interested in my little experiment with making a solar tracker - This is just built of wood to test the concept, it is very simple and can easily be scaled up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w2GX1OXu4w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T-uCl0jrG4
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Re: Experiment with solar power.

Postby Shootist » Mon May 12, 2014 1:27 pm

Interesting, but the word 'why' keeps coming to mind. It's ok for setting fire to small things that are out of the way, but what else? Perhaps a Green Party approved cremation device for deceased hamsters?
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Mon May 12, 2014 6:54 pm

Shootist wrote:Interesting, but the word 'why' keeps coming to mind. It's ok for setting fire to small things that are out of the way, but what else? Perhaps a Green Party approved cremation device for deceased hamsters?

No, imagine a small kettle of water of other low heat volatizing liquid producing steam that could be used to power various devices. Could be a serious toy that could produce free work with bit of up scaling.

http://greensteamengine.com/
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby 1066 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:48 pm

flintlok wrote:
Shootist wrote:Interesting, but the word 'why' keeps coming to mind. It's ok for setting fire to small things that are out of the way, but what else? Perhaps a Green Party approved cremation device for deceased hamsters?

No, imagine a small kettle of water of other low heat volatizing liquid producing steam that could be used to power various devices. Could be a serious toy that could produce free work with bit of up scaling.

http://greensteamengine.com/

That's the idea. The parabolic mirror was just made up to test the system really and to demonstrate how quickly and exactly it would align. Instead of a mirror you could easily mount a standard solar panel, photovoltaic or water heater on the tracker. Having the panel track the sun, even a simple single axis tracker will increase the efficiency of the panel by 36%.

With a parabolic mirror you can create flash steam in seconds or drive a sterling engine directly to generate electricity.

Another idea I have been thinking about is using it to purify water - ditch water in/drinking water out. I have a continuous flow system sorted out but snowed under with other commitments so this project is on the back burner at the moment.
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Postby flintlok » Wed May 14, 2014 8:52 pm

1066 wrote: Another idea I have been thinking about is using it to purify water - ditch water in/drinking water out. I have a continuous flow system sorted out but snowed under with other commitments so this project is on the back burner at the moment.

I'd be careful with ditch water as a source for drinking water. You would need to know some of the origins of the ditch water as certain organic compounds will easily carry over with steam from a simple distillation process.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Triffid » Wed May 28, 2014 11:40 am

1066 wrote:That's the idea. The parabolic mirror was just made up to test the system really and to demonstrate how quickly and exactly it would align. Instead of a mirror you could easily mount a standard solar panel, photovoltaic or water heater on the tracker. Having the panel track the sun, even a simple single axis tracker will increase the efficiency of the panel by 36%.

With a parabolic mirror you can create flash steam in seconds or drive a sterling engine directly to generate electricity.

Another idea I have been thinking about is using it to purify water - ditch water in/drinking water out. I have a continuous flow system sorted out but snowed under with other commitments so this project is on the back burner at the moment.

36% is a big gain in efficiency for the solar panels. As there are plenty of mid-size soalr installations round here (SE England), particularly farm-sized or B&Q roof size, you'd think that such an alignment system would be more popular. I guess it makes the system more vulnerable to wind damage.
Triffid
Triffid
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby 9mm » Wed May 28, 2014 3:53 pm

I like it, I would mount a web cam on a small one and have the camera look away from the sun - perfect shadowless image and an ever changing view :)

Years ago I made a twin-pir rig that was designed to track a person round a room. Similar idea, but I suspect this design is more elegant.
Browning Silver semi-auto 12g, Side-by-side .410, Brno semi-auto .22lr, Smith Wesson 559 semi-auto 9mm, Walther PPK .22lr. NRA RCO & FAW Instructor
9mm
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Grow your own / smallholding / the good life / alternative fuels / etc