divine

Strawberry plants

Feed the inner hippy in you....

Strawberry plants

Postby Fenrir » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:39 am

I have heard that I can keep my plants which are in pots and use them again next summer, is this true and if so how should I go about it so they produce a decent crop next year.
For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
Fenrir
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Strawberry plants

Postby Sidebyside » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:11 pm

Fenrir wrote:I have heard that I can keep my plants which are in pots and use them again next summer, is this true and if so how should I go about it so they produce a decent crop next year.

They will keep and they will produce a crop next year , whatever you do they will not usually produce as good a crop as new plants though .
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Strawberry plants

Postby mathspete » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:41 pm

Each plant should produce about 4/5 runners, a long thin stalk with a mini plant on it (or several). Make sure these plants come into good contact with some soil. I use small pots of compost and peg down the stalk and push the plant just into the compost. These will very rapidly root up when you can cut the stalk and pot them on as they fill the pots these will be your plants for the next couple of years. I replace mine when they have produced 3 crops as the crop tends to drop off as they get older. They can still be used as donor plants to produce many more replacements, this way you can produce more plants than you actually need to keep replacing your stock and these can be passed on or sold :thup:
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Grow your own / smallholding / the good life / alternative fuels / etc