divine

CHICKENS FOR THE TABLE

Feed the inner hippy in you....

CHICKENS FOR THE TABLE

Postby Deallad » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:47 pm

I have been keeping chickens for eggs for quite some time and looking to start raising birds for the table.

Does anyone know where I can get chicks to raise to eat?

Located near Dover Kent

Regards
Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: CHICKENS FOR THE TABLE

Postby Viperteks » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:40 pm

I have two HUGE chicken farms on my doorstep, sadly I don't think they can fly to Dover - If I see Paul (the Owner) I will ask him..... :thup:

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Deallad » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:54 pm

Your a gent.

It will give me an idea on cost per day old chick

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby hungryrob » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:09 pm

Deallad wrote:Your a gent.

It will give me an idea on cost per day old chick

Mike

Wouldn't it be better to take the older birds off their hand. They normally give them away free after they stop laying well at around a year and a half...
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby Nick T » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:18 am

Best thing I did was get an incubator. Keep a few cock birds for broth/stews. Quite strong tasting-unlike supermarket birds, the meat is also a lot denser :thup:
Nick T
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Viperteks » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:49 am

Nick T wrote:Best thing I did was get an incubator. Keep a few cock birds for broth/stews. Quite strong tasting-unlike supermarket birds, the meat is also a lot denser :thup:

Agreed!

Proper free range chickens, corn and meal fed are very tasty, the old adage of 'tastes like chicken' no longer applies. The Flesh is also a good yellow colour, unlike the bland neutral of intensively farmed birds!

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby leadpig » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:19 pm

aye, i grew up on a small farm, my dad watched the good life once to often me thinks, by the time i was 8 i could catch kill pluck and behead a chicken :grin: , the taste of true free range chicken and eggs is completely different to the stuff you get from tesco ect.
catching them was easy, while my dad would spend all morning chasing them around, i came up with a far easier method, put a handful of corn inside a bailing twine noose simple but effective :grin:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Ray7756 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:11 am

leadpig wrote:aye, , i came up with a far easier method, put a handful of corn inside a bailing twine noose simple but effective :grin:

sneeky bugger but i like the ingenuity :thup: :thup: :thup:
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Postby 9mm » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:35 am

I kept some Blue Orpingtons a few years back, good layers and an excellent weight for a table bird.
Browning Silver semi-auto 12g, Side-by-side .410, Brno semi-auto .22lr, Smith Wesson 559 semi-auto 9mm, Walther PPK .22lr. NRA RCO & FAW Instructor
9mm
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby hungryrob » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:56 am

Ray7756 wrote:
leadpig wrote:aye, , i came up with a far easier method, put a handful of corn inside a bailing twine noose simple but effective :grin:

sneeky bugger but i like the ingenuity :thup: :thup: :thup:

All a bit clumsy... ;)

Throw the feed at your feet.. wait til they're eating, remember NOT to bend down; they've got eyes in the backs of their heads and quickly stand on one of their feet.

Sorted, no fuss!
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby noppy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:11 pm

Finally something i know my stuff about (still a novice with firearms)

Right firstly you will be wasting your time with ex-laying hens at peak weight they average about 1.8-2kg which is way to small for eating, as its mainly bones at that weight. Dont get me wrong rehome them for laying as when the farmer is giving them away for free its due to them moulting for 6 weeks, after which they will lay again.

now that laying hens are out of the way you have two real options. Rearing purely for consumption or both for laying and consumption. The latter is achieved by using what's called a dual purpose breed, sussex, rhode island reds and marans to name a few. Compared to laying hens which will achieve around 300-320 eggs per year dual purpose may reach 220 or there abouts, but due to there increased size and other factors less energy is used for egg production. However the average weights are far superior and the cock birds can easily reach 5kg and the hens usually reach around 3kg.So there is actually something worth eating.

And finally rearing purely for consumption. My local supplier sells day old cobb cross chicks for £1.30 each. These should be culled at approx 11 weeks as if they are allowed to grow longer, are unable to hold themselves due to weak leg muscles in comparison to the body weight.

If you have any more questions just ask and i can go into more details, as if you hadn't guessed i like chickens :roll:
noppy
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby leadpig » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:20 pm

bloody hell ;) :thup: :thup:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:48 pm

I agree with noppy , I found that the old Rhode Island Red crossed with a Light Sussex gave you a good laying bird and also a good table bird too , the Morans don't lay a very large egg but they make up for that when it comes to a table bird :thup:
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:19 pm

Sidebyside wrote:I agree with noppy , I found that the old Rhode Island Red crossed with a Light Sussex gave you a good laying bird ...........:

That's why I like red heads!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:56 pm

flintlok wrote:
Sidebyside wrote:I agree with noppy , I found that the old Rhode Island Red crossed with a Light Sussex gave you a good laying bird ...........:

That's why I like red heads!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

You really are a tart Flintsy :hmm:
who me.gif
who me.gif (8.78 KiB) Viewed 22508 times
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Grow your own / smallholding / the good life / alternative fuels / etc