divine

Cooking Trout Fillets????

Game, non-game, even meringues if you want!

Cooking Trout Fillets????

Postby Viperteks » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:30 pm

Just caught (groan :roll: ) the mobile Fishmonger, bought two lovely Rainbow Trout fillets.

So, what is the easiest, tastiest way of cooking them please - nowt fancy, grilled or baked with some seasoning.

Steak - I can do - fish, I have no idea!!!!!!

Cheers

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Re: Cooking Trout Fillets????

Postby TheSquire » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:52 pm

If it was me I would put them with salt, pepper, slices of lemon and knobs of butter, flesh sides together in a lightly oiled foil 'tent' in the oven for about 15 mins. If the skin comes off easily its cooked. Nothing complicated.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target.........
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." General John Sedgwick
TheSquire
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby gun nut » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:56 pm

TheSquire wrote:If it was me I would put them with salt, pepper, slices of lemon and knobs of butter, flesh sides together in a lightly oiled foil 'tent' in the oven for about 15 mins. If the skin comes off easily its cooked. Nothing complicated.

That is exactly what I tend to do! I must try to get out and catch a few brownies this weekend! :thup:
A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range. - Paul Kirchner
A few acorns up the arse'd do 'em the world of good. It might even make them walk upright for a change. - Linegeist
gun nut
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Shaun A. » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:30 pm

Brush them with a seasoned beaten egg, coat them in oatmeal and fry :thup:

Shaun.
Go fetch to me a pint o wine,
And fill it in a silver tassie;

Robert Burns, 1789.
Shaun A.
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tommo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:00 pm

Brush with melted butter, then pack with thinly sliced tomato and wafer thin slices of garlic. Wrap in oil brushed foil and cook in oven until skin comes off easily... Nom, nom, nom... :grin: :thup: Serve with ICE COLD proseco.

Can't believe I've contributed to this thread... I'm Nil By Mouth until tomorrow afternoon and, having just finished the first litre of MOVIPREP.. with the second litre to commence at 17:00( :worried: :cry: :worried: ).
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby libensvolenspotens » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:24 pm

Coat in seasoned flour and fry in butter. Throw in a few sliced almonds to brown as the fish cooks and bingo! :thup:
libensvolenspotens
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:56 pm

TheSquire wrote:If it was me I would put them with salt, pepper, slices of lemon and knobs of butter, flesh sides together in a lightly oiled foil 'tent' in the oven for about 15 mins. If the skin comes off easily its cooked. Nothing complicated.

That will do nicely - cheers!!! :thup:

Don't have a 'real' lemon so a liberal squirt of a JIF lemon juice :oops: :oops: I am such a philistine!!! :grin:

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Viperteks » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:46 pm

Well guys - that was GORGEOUS !!!!! :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

Dave
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Tommo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Viperteks wrote:Well guys - that was GORGEOUS !!!!! :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

Dave

Why do I wish this thread had come up tomorrow night.... :grin: ;) :grin:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby Long shot » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:20 pm

I will go with Sean as i was brought up with the brownies from the local rivers done in oatmeal. A variation my wife did was to mix butter, oatmeal, onions and mushrooms in a small pan until the butter had melted and all the ingredients were mixed together. Then use this as a stuffing in the trout. Put them in tin foil in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes and the flavour of the stuffing has gone through the trout and is delicious. I actually had Rainbow trout last night. It was grilled with a coating of chinese spices. Lovely :thup: My stomaches rumbling now! :oops:
Long shot
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Steve Cover » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Viperteks wrote:Just caught (groan :roll: ) the mobile Fishmonger, bought two lovely Rainbow Trout fillets.

So, what is the easiest, tastiest way of cooking them please - nowt fancy, grilled or baked with some seasoning.

Steak - I can do - fish, I have no idea!!!!!!

Cheers

Dave

Way late on this but my 2 cents anyway.

First of all most people over cook fish.
I slow cook on medium low heat (What ever that means...)

My favorite way to cook trout fillets is simply put a pat of butter in a frying pan for each fillet and fry.
I start with the flesh side down, cook for a few minutes, then turn to the skin side, lightly salt and cook until the meat flakes.

This provides the most fish flavor for me.

If you don't like fish flavor, cut a piece of cardboard and cook as above adding overpowering lemon, grapefruit etc. and smother with a heavy sauce.
It sounds silly, but you will get exactly the same flavor as if you destroyed a decent piece of fish this way.

Steve
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW
Steve Cover
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Sidebyside » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:49 pm

Steve Cover wrote:Way late on this but my 2 cents anyway.

First of all most people over cook fish.
I slow cook on medium low heat (What ever that means...)

My favorite way to cook trout fillets is simply put a pat of butter in a frying pan for each fillet and fry.
I start with the flesh side down, cook for a few minutes, then turn to the skin side, lightly salt and cook until the meat flakes.

This provides the most fish flavor for me.

Steve

Totally agree , that pat of butter really does make a difference , my favourite fish rainbow trout :thup:
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby nickhornet » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:09 am

i cooked one on sunday....

Knob of butter,
Italian herbs,
Lemon juice,
Handfull of fried mushrooms,
splatter of olive oil,

Wrap in foil (leave a decent air pocket)
Place in the oven about 140.. for 60 mins

Serve on a bed of rocket
With an oven baked potatoe...

Om nom nom nom nom :thup:
SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI

Soylent Green is people and eating your own brain does not hurt so i'm informed
nickhornet
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:11 am

I could still taste the fish (yummy) as I didn't over do the extra bits, plus I only gave them about 20mins in the oven - stunning!

That' s why I asked for 'simple' recipes! ;)

Only bad thong, I haven't seen the fishmonger since, and want more!!!!

Thanks again chaps!!

Dave
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Nick T » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:00 pm

Best trout I had was when I was about 9 yr old in the cubs. Wrapped in horse chesnut leaves and clay, cooked in an underground fire and eaten with a small plastic spoon :thup: That was summer camp (read pi$$ing down for a week and sleeping on water bed) Wish I was 9 again :grin:
Nick T
Rifleman
Rifleman

Return to Recipes