divine

Introducing the gun

Introducing the gun

Postby Big-J-Williams » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:53 pm

Can some one help me???

I read earlier in the week on this site about a DVD that has shotgun noises a long side the music, which he used to get the dog used to the noise. He did mention the name of the disk, but I have had a sleep and now can not find the post.

Does any one know of the disk, thought it was a good idea..

Cheers
Smallbore Target Riffle
Fullbore Target Riffle
Centre Fire
Shotguns
Air-rifle

NRA and BASC member
Big-J-Williams
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Re: Introducing the gun

Postby 247sniper » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:22 pm

I have always found taking the dog to a clay range. At first leave them in the car park in the car at a sensible distance away from the guns, if the dog is happy then go for a shot yourself and leave the dog in the car. At a later date take the dog for a walk around the car park on a lead, hearing the shots in the back ground he will learn to ignore them :thup:

Until you can have the dog at your heal while you shoot away at the clays, but i wouldn't do it to soon or too often as the dogs ears are young and as you will probably know they are very sensitive. For training purpose though I works very well. :thup:

Steve.
247sniper
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby 247sniper » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:23 pm

Failng that, give this music a go :lol: :lol: :lol:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/-TC2xTCb_GU[/youtube]
247sniper
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tommo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:17 pm

I wouldn't try playing shotgun sounds, at a realistic level, in your house. Someone is likely to phone Plod..
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby Big-J-Williams » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:15 pm

247sniper wrote:I have always found taking the dog to a clay range. At first leave them in the car park in the car at a sensible distance away from the guns, if the dog is happy then go for a shot yourself and leave the dog in the car. At a later date take the dog for a walk around the car park on a lead, hearing the shots in the back ground he will learn to ignore them :thup:

Until you can have the dog at your heal while you shoot away at the clays, but i wouldn't do it to soon or too often as the dogs ears are young and as you will probably know they are very sensitive. For training purpose though I works very well. :thup:

Steve.

I thought that, however I was told not to at a range because there is potenialy to many bangs all happening at once and it could over load him. I was thinking about standing about 50 to 60 yards away with my miisis holding him. I would then let one off and if he does not react move slowly closer. if he does get bothered I would stop there for the day. and start again moving in closer.

I thought the dvd would be an added bonus so he gets used to the sound before a live fire??
Smallbore Target Riffle
Fullbore Target Riffle
Centre Fire
Shotguns
Air-rifle

NRA and BASC member
Big-J-Williams
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Big-J-Williams » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:18 pm

247sniper wrote:Failng that, give this music a go :lol: :lol: :lol:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/-TC2xTCb_GU[/youtube]

Very good :grin: :grin: . I could have done with the rocket launcher the other day when rabbit ran as I pulled the trigger just to turn and look back while in the cover of the bushes!!
Smallbore Target Riffle
Fullbore Target Riffle
Centre Fire
Shotguns
Air-rifle

NRA and BASC member
Big-J-Williams
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby humperdingle » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:42 pm

At what age on average is a dog's hearing mature enough to take the sound of gunfire?

My BT is 14 weeks old, and i'd imagined at least 6 months :?
humperdingle
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Big-J-Williams » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:43 pm

:roll: :roll: Just been told the cd is called starfire... Not the rock band with the same name..

Next question does any one know where to get it??
Smallbore Target Riffle
Fullbore Target Riffle
Centre Fire
Shotguns
Air-rifle

NRA and BASC member
Big-J-Williams
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby hungryrob » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:55 am

Sorry; not much help from me either but I do love the video!

I'd go with the visit to a clay ground; my mutt loves it now :)
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby mathspete » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:29 am

Agree with the clayground visit. I took mine along at 6 months with his mum, and he loved it :thup: . Just keep him on the lead :grin: . Every time there was a bang and a clay shattered they were itching to get out there and try to bring it back to me. :grin:
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby plugg » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:10 am

I took my lab out, loaded the shotgun and fired both barrels, one after the other, over the top of her and she was fine with it :thup:

Now when she hears a bang she gets all excited looking for downed quarry :)
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby SteveM47 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:35 am

This is the one we used, called Clix - Noises & Sounds, from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clix-Therapy-Fi ... 257&sr=8-1

It has everything from trains and planes, fireworks and whistles, to gunshots and crying babies.

When they were puppies, we used to put it on in the kitchen and leave the dogs in there with it when we went out, so it just cycled round for an hour or two. In theory you can crank up the volume each time until they aren't bothered by it at full volume.

I can't tell you whether it really worked, although our dogs (a lab and a cocker) are both unphased by fireworks, and they've also both been fine with gunshot from the first time we took them on the shoot, so it may well have done the trick. For £6 you can't really go wrong!

Steve
SteveM47
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby Big-J-Williams » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:09 pm

SteveM47 wrote:This is the one we used, called Clix - Noises & Sounds, from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clix-Therapy-Fi ... 257&sr=8-1

It has everything from trains and planes, fireworks and whistles, to gunshots and crying babies.

When they were puppies, we used to put it on in the kitchen and leave the dogs in there with it when we went out, so it just cycled round for an hour or two. In theory you can crank up the volume each time until they aren't bothered by it at full volume.

I can't tell you whether it really worked, although our dogs (a lab and a cocker) are both unphased by fireworks, and they've also both been fine with gunshot from the first time we took them on the shoot, so it may well have done the trick. For £6 you can't really go wrong!

Steve

Cheers I shall have a mooch on amazon now..
Smallbore Target Riffle
Fullbore Target Riffle
Centre Fire
Shotguns
Air-rifle

NRA and BASC member
Big-J-Williams
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Nick T » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:06 pm

I always bang and clatter at feeding time when they are pups. I'm lucky to have shooting permision at the back of my house so I let a few shots off over the weeks and gradualy get closer. I wouldn't take my dogs to a clay ground (not to say it's wrong) I just think it's too much. I only play at this game but I like my dogs to hear the bang, see the quary then retrieve on command (they will blind retrieve) but I think too many bangs at a clay ground and no retrieves, kills the dogs keenness. I may be wrong-I am no expert. This is just my gut feeling. I am open to advise.
Nick T
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Big-J-Williams » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:39 pm

I thought the same. Take him out to the field and slowly work my way to him..

cheers, you have made me jealous, having land on your door stop... :)

Nick T wrote:I always bang and clatter at feeding time when they are pups. I'm lucky to have shooting permision at the back of my house so I let a few shots off over the weeks and gradualy get closer. I wouldn't take my dogs to a clay ground (not to say it's wrong) I just think it's too much. I only play at this game but I like my dogs to hear the bang, see the quary then retrieve on command (they will blind retrieve) but I think too many bangs at a clay ground and no retrieves, kills the dogs keenness. I may be wrong-I am no expert. This is just my gut feeling. :) I am open to advise.
Smallbore Target Riffle
Fullbore Target Riffle
Centre Fire
Shotguns
Air-rifle

NRA and BASC member
Big-J-Williams
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Return to Working Dogs