divine

A Running Springer.......

A Running Springer.......

Postby Big-J-Williams » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:01 am

Help..... Please......

I have a lovely springer who does not leave my side...while at home anyway...

He quarters well and responds to the whistle when he is on a long lead. However take him off and it is a different story.. sticks to fingers and bolts....

The worrying thing is he is now one year old this month and should be hunting around my feet. He is my first and I know I have made mistakes along the way.I just want a companion while out shooting who I can trust to stay with me and be save while I shoot.

Is there anyone out there that can pass on some advice I can try to curb him bolting??? I will try anything...
Smallbore Target Riffle
Fullbore Target Riffle
Centre Fire
Shotguns
Air-rifle

NRA and BASC member
Big-J-Williams
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Re: A Running Springer.......

Postby Bushdog » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:37 am

I used an electric collar to get my pointer pup to come back (he's meant to range, but should come back!!). They're controversial things, but used sensibly to assist with specific issues, I think they are very useful.
I got mine initially to try and reinforce the point about stock with my first bitch (who is as strong-willed as they come). It was never needed for her, but it worked a treat for the new pup (he's same age as your springer). A couple of months ago, he started to take it into his head to keep ranging and ignore whistle, call, treats and all.
The secret of electric collars in my view is not to treat them as if they are "remote controls for dogs", because they are not. You need to be very discriminating about when to use the punishment on them, to make sure you target the behaviour you are trying to alter, and make sure you are not applying punishment for behaviour you want to encourage (like hunting). And don't think of using them if you have a nervous dog.
Bushdog
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:57 am

I had a long extending lead (the lead retracted into the handle) for my Springer.

When training she was allowed to run and when the command "Stop" was given the lead was locked on the handle so it wouldn't extend further.

When the "Come" command was given I physically put the lead and her back to me if she didn't return.

It took a while but she did get brainwashed into knowing that she was going to come back one way or another.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Sidebyside » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:01 am

Keep her on a running lead , and I would use a reward system rather than a punishment system , a treat for obedience the command being obeyed , then take her in the field with the same reward for obedience off the lead , back on the lead if she does not obey , It is sometimes a long winded battle (depending on the nature of the dog ) but you will get there . Patience does pay off though .
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby polski » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:26 am

Go back to basics, get him 100% on the stop whistle, personally I don't like long leads so I would be training in a confined,scent free area, going through the basics, bit of dummy work etc,keeping the dog focused on you.Stop all hunting for the time being and no free running.I will pm you my number if you want a chat.

Rick.
polski
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Tommo » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:23 am

Big-J-Williams wrote:
... However take him off and it is a different story.. sticks to fingers and bolts....

Slightly off topic but I had a dog like that, rare breed called a 'Blacksmith'. Had to be kept on a lead all the time otherwise he'd make a bolt for the door.. :grin: :lol: :grin: ;)
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby Big-J-Williams » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:50 am

Tommo wrote:
Big-J-Williams wrote:
... However take him off and it is a different story.. sticks to fingers and bolts....

Slightly off topic but I had a dog like that, rare breed called a 'Blacksmith'. Had to be kept on a lead all the time otherwise he'd make a bolt for the door.. :grin: :lol: :grin: ;)

The old ones hay...

Sent from my iPhone

Smallbore Target Rifle
Fullbore Target Rifle
Centre Fire
Shotgun
Air-rifle

NRA and BASC member
Smallbore Target Riffle
Fullbore Target Riffle
Centre Fire
Shotguns
Air-rifle

NRA and BASC member
Big-J-Williams
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Big-J-Williams » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:52 am

That's an old one TOMMO... [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

Sent from my iPhone

Smallbore Target Rifle
Fullbore Target Rifle
Centre Fire
Shotgun
Air-rifle

NRA and BASC member
Smallbore Target Riffle
Fullbore Target Riffle
Centre Fire
Shotguns
Air-rifle

NRA and BASC member
Big-J-Williams
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Big-J-Williams » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:01 pm

polski wrote:Go back to basics, get him 100% on the stop whistle, personally I don't like long leads so I would be training in a confined,scent free area, going through the basics, bit of dummy work etc,keeping the dog focused on you.Stop all hunting for the time being and no free running.I will pm you my number if you want a chat.

Rick.

It all started after an op.. So I put him back on the lead for two months solid. Kept him hunting, and he stayed close, lovely. Thought it was time to get him back off and bang, back to how he was. I did put him on to ground with no cent for the months he was on the lead..

I am trying to mix it now.. Do a couple of hunts on the lead taking him in to the corner, keeping him close. Then I take him off. He listens to me on the lead, does what he is supposed to, but soon as he is off, ignores..

He is very strong minded like his mum, who has turned into a fantastic dog. I am getting concerned with October getting ever closer and I really don't want to go down the last option and put a collar on him and give him a jolt, rather do it naturally if I can.

They are bloody frustrating dogs springers!!

Sent from my iPhone

Smallbore Target Rifle
Fullbore Target Rifle
Centre Fire
Shotgun
Air-rifle

NRA and BASC member
Smallbore Target Riffle
Fullbore Target Riffle
Centre Fire
Shotguns
Air-rifle

NRA and BASC member
Big-J-Williams
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Big-J-Williams » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:04 pm

polski wrote:Go back to basics, get him 100% on the stop whistle, personally I don't like long leads so I would be training in a confined,scent free area, going through the basics, bit of dummy work etc,keeping the dog focused on you.Stop all hunting for the time being and no free running.I will pm you my number if you want a chat.

Rick.

Sorry, I forgot to say I will give you call on Sunday, if that ok, thanks John.

Sent from my iPhone

Smallbore Target Rifle
Fullbore Target Rifle
Centre Fire
Shotgun
Air-rifle

NRA and BASC member
Smallbore Target Riffle
Fullbore Target Riffle
Centre Fire
Shotguns
Air-rifle

NRA and BASC member
Big-J-Williams
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby polski » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:34 pm

He's become "lead wise", knows he has to toe the line because you still have contact with him, which is why I don't like the use of the long lead,you can waste so much time thinking everything is going great and as soon as you let the dog off you're back to square one.Is he a keen retriever? if he is that will help to focus the dog on you.Give me a bell and I will see if I can help.

Rick.
polski
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby moose man » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:58 pm

Rick.

+1 ...My 1st spinger did the same , running in , my fault entirely I started her in the field before she was 110percent steady .My 2nd never see game till she was 17 months ...was rock steady to voice ,whistle & hand signal .A long time in the coming but a joy to shoot over for 8 years . Patience is the secret I think with a springer ...good luck
moose man
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Return to Working Dogs