divine

Tricycles...

Anything goes - within reason.

Tricycles...

Postby Tommo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:55 pm

OK, heads up for anyone who knows me - you might want to consider sitting down to read this post... :worried:

It's been over 30 years since I last drove a car and I am loathe to begin all over again. I'd have to do the whole bloody thing as I had an Isle of Man licence which, in those days, had to be renewed every five years. But I want to get a bit more mobile locally and as the Southport quelque part près de la mer terrain is very flat I'm considering getting a tricycle to bimble around on. Question is: do any of you chaps have any experience of trikes (as adults, or as near to adults as you'll get...).

I've found a couple which look pretty good, I like the idea of a large luggage basket at the back, camera bag, tripod, flask, sarnies, couple of pies, slice of quiche etc., and off you go in to the wide blue yonder.. :grin: ;) :grin:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Re: Tricycles...

Postby flintlok » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:21 pm

I've always found tricycles as a bit unwieldy. You can't take a corner as smoothly as you can on a bicycle, the rear is much wider so you have a larger foot print on the road that an inattentive driver can hit and finally I find that they require more energy to pedal. You should try one before you commit and buy a trike.

I've been looking at bicycles lately as I really don't want to drive very much once I retire. I want to be 16 again, ride a bicycle, go out to play with buddies, and have a drive in a car as a special treat.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:45 pm

Tommo wrote: slice of quiche etc., and off you go in to the wide blue yonder.. :grin: ;) :grin:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
real men don’t eat quiche, especially not on tricycles :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tommo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:13 pm

leadpig wrote:
Tommo wrote: slice of quiche etc., and off you go in to the wide blue yonder.. :grin: ;) :grin:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
real men don’t eat quiche, especially not on tricycles :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahh but that's the beauty of a trike.. you don't have to balance. So when the 'moment' takes you it's possible to enjoy said quiche, or any other MANLY food item you might enjoy. :grin: :thup: :grin: With the right sort of customising it could be possible to install a Kelly Kettle in the back luggage space.. The possibilities are endless.. and as for motorists - I wonder if it's possible to run a taser off a dynamo.. :grin: ;) :grin:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby flintlok » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:41 am

Tommo wrote: I like the idea of a large luggage basket at the back, camera bag, tripod, flask, sarnies, couple of pies, slice of quiche etc., and off you go in to the wide blue yonder.. :grin: ;) :grin:

Well, okay, here you go..... :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cam » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:45 am

:shock:

Hi Tommo

Tricycle/Bicycle + Southport = Injury/Death!

Cam
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby leadpig » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:59 am

Cam wrote::shock:

Hi Tommo

Tricycle/Bicycle + Southport = Injury/Death!

Cam

what from mobility scooters, or biscuit crumbs
:lol: :lol:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Andy.I » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:08 am

If you absolutely must get a tricycle Tommo, why don't you get what's known as a tadpole trike, with two steering wheels at the front and one drive wheel at the back. Not only is this type of tricycle far, far more stable and manoeverable (and thus much safer) they don't suffer so much from that "old and decrepit" rider image and they are usually capable of carrying relatively large loads, which makes them much more practical than delta trikes. :)
http://www.veloelectrique.co.uk/product ... -tricycle/

Further, you could even go for a recumbent tadpole trike. They are usually ridden by mature and portly gentlemen with whiskers, frequently between countryside licensed premises, which might suit your preferred image down to the ground. ;) :razz: :thup:
Last edited by Andy.I on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything not invented by God is invented by an engineer." HRH Phil the Greek.
Andy.I
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:19 am

what you want is one of the "big boys" trikes that say Harley Davidson or Honda on the petrol tank :thup: :idea:
"petrol" and "tank" being the operative two words 8-)
now you know it makes sense,you've already got the obligatory beard :grin: ;)
on the downside with this type of trike though you will have to replace the quiche with jack daniels :shock:
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby gun nut » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:42 am

You could always borrow SBS' trike!
trike.png
trike.png (43.17 KiB) Viewed 4170 times
A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range. - Paul Kirchner
A few acorns up the arse'd do 'em the world of good. It might even make them walk upright for a change. - Linegeist
gun nut
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Tommo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:38 am

Andy.I wrote:If you absolutely must get a tricycle Tommo, why don't you get what's known as a tadpole trike, with two steering wheels at the front and one drive wheel at the back. Not only is this type of tricycle far, far more stable and manoeverable (and thus much safer) they don't suffer so much from that "old and decrepit" rider image and they are usually capable of carrying relatively large loads, which makes them much more practical than delta trikes. :)
http://www.veloelectrique.co.uk/product ... -tricycle/

Further, you could even go for a recumbent tadpole trike. They are usually ridden by mature and portly gentlemen with whiskers, frequently between countryside licensed premises, which might suit your preferred image down to the ground. ;) :razz: :thup:

Andy.. It appears that you have my 'image' down to a 'T'. However this 'mature and portly gentleman with whiskers' rails against the cost of one of these tadpole trikes.. I wasn't planning on spending much more than £400 for one. I do like the look of those tadpoles though, trouble is the larger that carrying capacity the more you will ultimately want to carry..!!! :roll:

Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:04 am

gun nut wrote:You could always borrow SBS' trike!
trike.png

So it was you who pinched it :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ;)
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Coldfinger » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:55 pm

What strange sort of a Jessie eats quiche when a good old-fashioned egg & bacon pie loaded with good old-fashioned salt & and good old-fashioned calories can still be bought from the butcher's shop??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Hornet 6 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:06 pm

There seems to be two options for you, first is the cool custom.

Trike.jpg

Second is the useful custom option, if you fancy the second option it was built by a mate, and yes he does do them to order.

Norms Trike.jpg

Anything else is just silly :razz:

Neil. :)
Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Coldfinger » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:12 pm

But if you do want to be plain silly......

"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next

Return to General chat