divine

Army Recruitment - have they got it wrong??

Anything goes - within reason.

Army Recruitment - have they got it wrong??

Postby Viperteks » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:14 am

Taken from Facebook, the guys got a point!

I am over 60 and the Armed Forces thinks I'm too old to track down terrorists. You can't be older than 42 to join the military. They've got the whole thing backwards.

Instead of sending 18-year olds off to fight, they ought to take us old guys. You shouldn't be able to join a military unit until you're at least 35.

For starters, researchers say 18-year-olds think about sex every ten seconds. Old guys only think about sex a couple of times a month, leaving us more than 280,000 additional seconds per day to concentrate on the enemy.

Young guys haven't lived long enough to be cranky, and a cranky soldier is a dangerous soldier. 'My back hurts! I can't sleep, I'm tired and hungry.' Were bad-tempered and impatient, and maybe letting us kill some ***hole that desperately deserves it will make us feel better and shut us up for a while.....

An 18-year-old doesn't even like to get up before 10am. Old guys always get up early to pee, so what the hell. Besides, like I said, I'm tired and can't sleep and since I'm already up, I may as well be up killing some fanatical son-of-a-bitch.

If captured we couldn't spill the beans because we'd forget where we put them. In fact, name, rank, and serial number would be a real brainteaser.

Boot camp would be easier for old guys.... We're used to getting screamed and yelled at and we're used to soft food. We've also developed an appreciation for guns. We've been using them for years as an excuse to get out of the house, away from the screaming and yelling.

They could lighten up on the obstacle course however..... I've been in combat and never saw a single 20-foot wall with rope hanging over the side, nor did I ever do any push-ups after completing basic training.

Actually, the running part is kind of a waste of energy, too..... I've never seen anyone outrun a bullet.

An 18-year-old has the whole world ahead of him. He's still learning to shave or to start a conversation with a pretty girl. He still hasn't figured out that a baseball cap has a brim to shade his eyes, not the back of his head.

These are all great reasons to keep our kids at home to learn a little more about life before sending them off into harm's way.

Let us old guys track down those terrorists..... The last thing an enemy would want to see is a couple million hacked off old farts with bad attitudes and automatic weapons, who know that their best years are already behind them.

HEY!! How about recruiting Women over 50.... in menopause! You think MEN have attitudes? Ohhhhhhhh my goodness!!! If nothing else, put them on border patrol. They'll have it secured the first night!

Send this to all of your senior friends in big type so they can read it.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Re: Army Recruitment - have they got it wrong??

Postby Sidebyside » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:33 am

:thup: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:48 am

They certainly have got the recruitment wrong.

They've spent millions of Pounds on advertising to recruit for the Reserves and managed to get 140 people.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2739360/Millions-spent-advertising-campaign-help-boost-Army-Reserve-just-140-recruits-join-six-months.html
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Viperteks » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:28 pm

Is there a age limit with the reserves?
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Keef » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:22 pm

Viperteks wrote:Is there a age limit with the reserves?

Age 43 for Soldiers for joining according to the Army web site.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tommo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:56 pm

Keef wrote:

Unless it's REME then the older the better as you're more likely to have a full set of your own tools... :grin: :razz: :grin:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby flintlok » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:09 pm

Keef wrote:
Viperteks wrote:Is there a age limit with the reserves?

I'm so far in reserve that they would take my cats before they would consider me. They likely would give me a deactivated guns to scare forks off. No matter, a cool spot and the shade and a six pack of beer and I'll sit and watch for hours. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:19 pm

Tommo wrote:Unless it's REME then the older the better as you're more likely to have a full set of your own tools... :grin: :razz: :grin:

But not a full set of teeth!
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby waterford103 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:48 pm

The other thing about us old farts is that we couldn't retreat , i can't run a hundred yards so why die tired , praise the Lord and pass more ammunition.
waterford103
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tommo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:50 pm

waterford103 wrote:The other thing about us old farts is that we couldn't retreat , i can't run a hundred yards so why die tired , praise the Lord and pass more ammunition.

Amen to that. :thup: :grin: :thup:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby Keef » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:15 pm

Some interesting figures on just how under recruited the reserves are:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/341685/20140805_FOI2014_03172.pdf

Just as interesting is how over recruited they are for Colonels!
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tommo » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:44 am

Keef wrote:
....Just as interesting is how over recruited they are for Colonels!

Not to mention Chaplains... :grin: ;) Going by the figures in the PDF it works out at 1 Chaplain per 3,918 soldiers at current strength or 1 Chaplain per 4000 soldiers at maximum strength. My wife is in the wrong bloody job then because our parish has some 10,260 souls residing in it...!!! (and ours is only the 3rd largest in the deanery area..)

Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby IXL » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:10 pm

Keef wrote:
Tommo wrote:Unless it's REME then the older the better as you're more likely to have a full set of your own tools... :grin: :razz: :grin:

But not a full set of teeth!

Yes they have !!!they are called False Teeth!lolo :lol:
IXL

Postby Paul. » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:31 pm

What is the point of joining now that the pension has been smashed to bits. They want people to join for 4-9 years and then move them on.

The reserve manning is a joke. If they want people to join then the financial incentive has to be much more lucrative than it is. Also as an employer, who could afford to release someone for 6-9 months? My mates who were made redundant keep on getting pestered to join the reserve, but why would they? Most of them have decent jobs, why risk your life and limbs for nothing? Apparently they were no longer required, so why the constant bombardment of 'join the reserve'...........

There is no point joining anymore.
I have stated it plain, an' my argument's thus
("It's all one," says the Sapper)
There's only one Corps which is perfect - that's us;
An' they call us Her Majesty's Engineers,
With the rank and pay of a Sapper!

Rudyard Kipling
Paul.
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter