divine

UK "legal" carry knifes

Re: UK "legal" carry knifes

Postby leadpig » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:44 pm

Cam wrote:Please forgive my ignorance, but why do locking knives attract such legal restrictions as opposed to non-locking?

Cam

because some idiot judged that a locked penknife was in fact the same as a fixed blade
:roll: :Facepalm:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:32 am

leadpig wrote:
Cam wrote:Please forgive my ignorance, but why do locking knives attract such legal restrictions as opposed to non-locking?

Cam

because some idiot judged that a locked penknife was in fact the same as a fixed blade

I do believe there was a lot more that ONE idiot involved! :grin: ;) ;) :thup:

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby leadpig » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:27 pm

Viperteks wrote:
leadpig wrote:

Cam

Dave

but only one judge ;) :grin: :grin:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:22 pm

leadpig wrote:
Viperteks wrote:
leadpig wrote:

Cam

Dave

Actually, you have raised a bloody good point, is a Judge even involved in this process of putting these stupid acts on the book or is it a committee, I thought a Judge would only be involved once a prosecution was brought... :? :? :? :? :? :?

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby leadpig » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:47 pm

Viperteks wrote:
leadpig wrote:
Viperteks wrote:
leadpig wrote:

Cam

Dave

I thought a Judge would only be involved once a prosecution was brought... :? :? :? :? :? :?

Dave

i thought that was what happened :hmm: :? :?

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Texasproud » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:59 am

Viperteks wrote:
The_Dogge wrote:I recently acquired a Spyderco Delica, I'm pretty impressed with it, the blade is marked Seki City Japan, which I see is a reknowned knife making center, "sharp" seems an inadequate description of the edge, it is, well.... "Really really bloody sharp!" :grin:

That said, the hole in the blade is a bit rough, there are machining marks visible inside it, but it definately has the finish where it needs it.

That's my EDC too, but it is a locker!

Kevin, the Spyderco UK range is simply one of the BEST out there, it has a modified (longer) basic spring lock, so it require far more effort to close (on your fingers that is). Get it you wont be disappointed! If your not happy - I WILL buy it off you I am that confident!

Dave

Dave, I still like a hatchet in the pickup. You know the one I'm talking about.
Texasproud
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Viperteks » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:09 am

Texasproud wrote:
Viperteks wrote:
The_Dogge wrote:I recently acquired a Spyderco Delica, I'm pretty impressed with it, the blade is marked Seki City Japan, which I see is a reknowned knife making center, "sharp" seems an inadequate description of the edge, it is, well.... "Really really bloody sharp!" :grin:

That said, the hole in the blade is a bit rough, there are machining marks visible inside it, but it definately has the finish where it needs it.

That's my EDC too, but it is a locker!

Kevin, the Spyderco UK range is simply one of the BEST out there, it has a modified (longer) basic spring lock, so it require far more effort to close (on your fingers that is). Get it you wont be disappointed! If your not happy - I WILL buy it off you I am that confident!

Dave

Dave, I still like a hatchet in the pickup. You know the one I'm talking about.

LOL, I have a Axe (Gerber) and a Machete (Branch Lopper), as they both reside in my First-Aid Recovery Bag (Large Dive Bag) with food (ration packs) water, stove, the reasonable excuse is 'obeyed' ;) As I am 'always on my way to, or back from a camping trip... ;) ;)

Hope you and yours are well Kevin! :thup:

Dave

Dave
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby jsangel » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:12 pm

I carry a folder at all time, even to my own wedding where it was surprisingly useful!

My current EDC is a Svord Peasant Mini.

svord.jpg
svord.jpg (9.12 KiB) Viewed 9561 times

The long "reverse" to the blade acts as a lock by hand pressure alone. I should also say that from Heinnie Hayes these are around £14!

In my little works Fiesta van i have at least one chain saw, one folding hand saw, one fixed blade "Silky" saw (the best for tree work i have found), one small hand axe, one large bilhook, a machete and at least one sheath knife.

Gomtaro.jpg
Gomtaro.jpg (15.13 KiB) Viewed 9561 times

This would be the worst to be hit by, as i can attest, having had a surgeon digging around in my hand to find the ends of my tendons! :worried: That was just a glancing cut. :Facepalm:

Each of these is used frequently for work.
jsangel
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Previous

Return to Knives, axes, other cutting tools and sharpening