divine

Best way to sharpen machetes and axes?

Re: Best way to sharpen machetes and axes?

Postby Judge Ali » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:10 am

Just bought a lansky 'puck' which I havent tried yet for a kukri. Hope it lives up to the good reviews I will be trying it as soon as I get home at end of month.

Might be worth looking into or seeing what's on YouTube for it being used on machetes and axes.
Judge Ali
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Yessir » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:37 am

Now I want some sort of diamond stone version of it, the standard stone is painfully slow after experiencing the metal shifting power of diamond.
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Nathan2312 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:30 am

I use the gransfors brucks puck for my axes, there a bit pricey in terms of an axe stone but I found give the best results, but when sharpening blades it's also about the type of steel, the profile and Rockwell scale, each one has different tasks, the steel I use from knife to axe is 01 high carbon I find it holds an edge and easy to sharpen, the profile depends on the task, Scandi grind is best for carving or game prep, convex is good for a general field knife, flat grind for food prep etc I only ever use water stones or in field I use a dc4 with strop and yellow compound. Grinders or power tools can ruin the temper and make the steel soft, I was given a tip a while back after sharpening finish with some news paper while leather can remove the micro bevel news paper is meant to polish the steel with out making a new bevel :)
Another tip for if in field is to use your car window, drag the knife as if your stroping across the top of the window, this won't remove steel but reshape a the bevel as a chefs steel dose
Honest honey this is the last gun I will ever need
Nathan2312
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Previous

Return to Knives, axes, other cutting tools and sharpening