divine

Getting started with a Lansky set up

Getting started with a Lansky set up

Postby Fenrir » Mon May 26, 2014 4:56 pm

I treated myself to one of these the other day and the first problem I found was getting the clamp to grip the blade properly. I followed the instructions but could not seem to get the clamp to grip the blade sufficiently to stop it moving as the hone was pushed across the edge of the blade. I did not want to force things too much and risk stripping threads and pondered adding some tape to the inside face of the clamps to add a bit of friction but decided to see f there were any tips on here how I might be doing it incorrectly.
For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
Fenrir
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Getting started with a Lansky set up

Postby bedwards1966 » Mon May 26, 2014 5:35 pm

My approach is to tighten the clamp further.

I suppose tape might work, rubber certainly would (any elastic bands you could stick in for packing?).
bedwards1966
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Triffid » Mon May 26, 2014 9:25 pm

Gripping the blade firmly enough has never been a problem for me. . . pop the blade in the clamp either fully in or just in the outer lips, turn down the middle screw with my thumb - doesn't have to be tight. Then turn the outer thumb-screw until the blade is held firmly.
Triffid
Triffid
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Mon May 26, 2014 11:04 pm

Fenrir wrote:I treated myself to one of these the other day and the first problem I found was getting the clamp to grip the blade properly. I followed the instructions but could not seem to get the clamp to grip the blade sufficiently to stop it moving as the hone was pushed across the edge of the blade. I did not want to force things too much and risk stripping threads and pondered adding some tape to the inside face of the clamps to add a bit of friction but decided to see f there were any tips on here how I might be doing it incorrectly.

i had to ducktape the spine ;)
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Beer Hunter » Wed May 28, 2014 11:25 pm

2:40 in here:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/SNWZaQmY2gU[/youtube]
I've never had an issue with a blade slipping in the Lansky.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Cam » Fri May 30, 2014 9:20 am

I have a Lansky and IMO it's only OK.

IMO, the Spyderco Sharpmaker is better. The problem with the Lansky is that when used on longer blades (9-12 inches) the bevel will increase as one moves out from the centre of the clamp due to the angle change. If you are not bothered then fine, otherwise one has to keep moving the clamp in order to get a more even bevel.

Where the Lansky does excel over the Spyderco is when it comes to the sharpening of the tip of the blade.
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby leadpig » Sat May 31, 2014 10:54 am

if the spine has a square section to clamp to ie taper grind the lanskys are ok, if the blades are scandi ground or full hollow ground then they can be a pain in the ass :shock:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Knives, axes, other cutting tools and sharpening