divine

Gun Show Junk

Gun Show Junk

Postby flintlok » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:46 am

I go to gun shows occasionally and I’m always buying something that I hope is significant however sometimes tends to be junk on the shelf and just a big question mark. I bought an antique Chinese razor recently that was supposed to be a whaling artifact according to the dealer. That would be interesting enough however the fellow at the show stated without doubt that they were whaling artifact used for trimming blubber. Okay, I now have that Chinese razor that I doubt ever saw whaling blubber but who knows these things. I thought perhaps it would make an interesting patch knife for one of my black powder muzzle loaders. I paid $5.00 for it. You could find the same razor in the Smoky Mountain Knifeworks catalog for $12.99. Strangely an antique dealer on the net swears that it a 18th century patch knife and wants $150 for the razor. http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/pr ... RR234.html

Another item that I bought was a wooden handle knife. It’s stamped US with a naval anchor in between the lettering. I’ve never seen this knife in any book on US military knives or anywhere else however it appears old and genuine. I have no idea what it was used for or when it was made. The blade length is 4 ½ inches long a 7/8 inches wide and tampers to a point. The grip is 4 inches long. Sometimes I leave these guns shows with strange stuff and I have no idea why. I guess that it’s just me.

The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Gun Show Junk

Postby Sidebyside » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:28 am

flintlok wrote:. Sometime I leave these guns shows with strange stuff and I have no idea why. .

Neither do we Flintsy , neither do we :roll: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:43 am

Sidebyside wrote:
flintlok wrote:. Sometime I leave these guns shows with strange stuff and I have no idea why. .

Neither do we Flintsy , neither do we :roll: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Perhaps it's because I'm a sexagenarian just like you. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

So, do you need a Chinese razor? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:22 am

flintlok wrote:
Sidebyside wrote:

Perhaps it's because I'm a sexagenarian just like you. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

So, do you need a Chinese razor? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Oh come on Flintsy , I can cut myself bad enough with a standard Gillette :shock: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tommo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:32 pm

I remember seeing an item, very, very similar to the 'razor', but used by a florist for cutting bunches of stems. The blade was frighteningly sharp and was placed behind a bunch of stems and drawn forward cutting cleanly as it came towards the person cutting. This was over 50 years ago so it could have been something homemade for the specific purpose, but it does look almost a replica of the thing I saw... :hmm:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby Asher » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:57 pm

Is that an M5 bayonet thats had the blade shortened/ground into a rats tail tang and had a new handle fitted?
Asher
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby flintlok » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:53 pm

Asher wrote:Is that an M5 bayonet thats had the blade shortened/ground into a rats tail tang and had a new handle fitted?

i don't believe that it's a shortened M5 however I do have a M5 at home and I'll have to make a dimentional comparison.

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:56 pm

The fellow who sold the "razor" had about 30 of them and said that it came from of box of them found in a Cape Cod warehouse. He was adamant the whale men used them.

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby TheSquire » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:12 pm

I don' t know much about about whaling, but I would have though whale blubber was far too thick to cut with that razor. Would a curved blade not be better to cut something that thick? :?
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target.........
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." General John Sedgwick
TheSquire
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Asher » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:26 pm

Because I've read Moby Dick too often, I've been googling flensing knives and that appears to definitely not be a whaling tool: curved or hooked blades with a fixed handle appear to have been ubiquitous. Plus every image of an antique chinese razor looks just like it :grin:
Asher
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby flintlok » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:14 am

Asher wrote:Is that an M5 bayonet thats had the blade shortened/ground into a rats tail tang and had a new handle fitted?

It's close. The M5 blade is 30 thousands of a inch narrower than my mystery blade and the blade thicknesses are within a few thousands. It could be a reground of an earlier bayonet but why would anyone go through all of the trouble but it's certainly possible. GI's during WWII we known to make their own combat knives. But then there's the US and anchor stamp. It could have been fashioned by a bored machinist mate. It's possible it's a cut down M3. I had an M3 but unfortunately I gave it away to a friend. However my brother has a M3 and one of these days we will get together and compare notes on this knife.

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Knives, axes, other cutting tools and sharpening