divine

Knife review and sharpening methods. What do you use?

Knife review and sharpening methods. What do you use?

Postby 247sniper » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:53 am

Guys,

Im into my knives quite a bit lately, a bought myself a Wicked Edge Pro ;) to keep them sharp.

I was fed up of sharpening knives etc only for them to get blunt after skinning a couple of rabbits etc, cheap nasty knives they were.

Last year i bough a Spyderco Endura 4 FFG with VG10 steel, after you get a proper edge on it with the WEP is is not only awesomely sharp but retains an edge which you could shave with, slice news paper and skin as many rabbits as you like with it. I put this down to two thing.

1) The Wicked edge, you can get exact and precise bevel angles, without leaving burs ( Very important for blade retained sharpness and durability) you are able to either get a "toothy" edge in many different grades from course - 100 grit too 1200 grit, the stones between these ranges produce a tooth edge ( Micro serrations not visible to the eye) which are spot on for cutting, slicing, basically every thing the likes of us fellas would use a knife for, like skinning. You can then go onto ceramics stones and a selection of stops to get a highly polished mirror finished blade, not much use for much but they do look ace.

2) Probably the most important factor for long life durability and long lasting edges is a decent knife with decent steel. I carried out a bit of research before buying my Spyderco and most of the "knife guys" suggested that VG10 steel is a great steel that sharpens well, does not rust and most importantly holds a good edge for a good length of time if sharpened correctly.

I sharpened my Spyderco properly a month ago when I got my Wicked edge Pro, again carried out some research before hand and thought about what I use my knife for and what edge I would need to put on it. I believe I got this one right ! I have skinned countless rabbits, carved some wood shavings and made a speer for the young fella lol, and cut thick rope to mark out a shooting layout. Even now it will still shave arm hair, newspaper and anything else that it touches.

Just though i would share my knife and knife sharpening experiences with you guys and though id ask what knives and sharpening methods you all use?

Steve.
247sniper
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Knife review and sharpening methods. What do you use?

Postby Cam » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:40 am

I am a fan of convex edges on my knives and the WE system does not seem capable of these hones. Also due to WE design (being similar to the Lansky) it is possible get varying angles of hone along the blade, especially on long knives unless one keeps moving the blade in the clamp.

IMO, the Edge Pro is a better system.

I can get a good consistent edge using a leather base with varying grit Wet Or Dry.

Cam
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby 247sniper » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:25 pm

Cam wrote:I am a fan of convex edges on my knives and the WE system does not seem capable of these hones. Also due to WE design (being similar to the Lansky) it is possible get varying angles of hone along the blade, especially on long knives unless one keeps moving the blade in the clamp.

I can get a good consistent edge using a leather base with varying grit Wet Or Dry.

Cam

You can do convex edges with the WE, YouTube it!

The bit you say about varying angle etc, the WE by far provides the most accurate out of all the other sharpeners in terms of consistent angles/bevels etc :roll:
247sniper
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cam » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:07 pm

247sniper wrote:
Cam wrote:I am a fan of convex edges on my knives and the WE system does not seem capable of these hones. Also due to WE design (being similar to the Lansky) it is possible get varying angles of hone along the blade, especially on long knives unless one keeps moving the blade in the clamp.

Cam

The bit you say about varying angle etc, the WE by far provides the most accurate out of all the other sharpeners in terms of consistent angles/bevels etc :roll:

I retract my comment re inconsistent hone angle :oops: I have looked at the youtube for the n'th time.

The convex edge capability appears to rely on multi angle sharpening, which is then blended. The result seems to damn good though.

I am going to re-visit the WE vs the Edge Pro comparisons.

There is a youtube re limitations of the WE:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-BjcYJnAWU

What's your take?

Cam
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby 247sniper » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:11 pm

Cam wrote:
247sniper wrote:

Cam

I retract my comment re inconsistent hone angle :oops: I have looked at the youtube for the n'th time.

The convex edge capability appears to rely on multi angle sharpening, which is then blended. The result seems to damn good though.

What's your take?

Cam

Lol.

You are correct regarding the convex edge, it's a combination of 3 or 4 precise angles blended in with hones and strops, far more accurate then any other sharpener and by any human hand on stones etc. :thup:

I have see the YouTube clip regarding limitations, small knives can be to small to use the depth key, I have come across this myself, however, simply lift the knife up a bit to allow the angle you desire, knives this small only takes a few minutes or so to totally re-profile and polish to a mirror finish anyway, so no problem regarding touch ups.

Again, true about FFG (full flat ground) blade, with the basic kit, precise touch ups is more complicated, however again this can be addressed by the use of an angle cube. There is a video on YouTube on how to do this, I may do my own video to show this and make it a bit clearer then the one on you tube already. You use the angle cube to work out and then cancel the blade cant (miss alignment) in the clamp then adjust the arm angles in accordance with the cube angle to get the desired bevel angle you want. Again not a problem to sort out.

I think most of the other stuff he is on about is just not picking, I mean talk about cons on the Edge Pro, Lansky, Spyderco Sharp maker systems and we would here for day.

Hope this helps you out?

Steve.
247sniper
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:55 pm

my god what have i started :shock: :Facepalm:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cam » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:55 am

247sniper wrote:
Cam wrote:
247sniper wrote:

Cam

What's your take?

Cam

Lol.

You are correct regarding the convex edge, it's a combination of 3 or 4 precise angles blended in with hones and strops, far more accurate then any other sharpener and by any human hand on stones etc. :thup:

I have see the YouTube clip regarding limitations, small knives can be to small to use the depth key, I have come across this myself, however, simply lift the knife up a bit to allow the angle you desire, knives this small only takes a few minutes or so to totally re-profile and polish to a mirror finish anyway, so no problem regarding touch ups.

Again, true about FFG (full flat ground) blade, with the basic kit, precise touch ups is more complicated, however again this can be addressed by the use of an angle cube. There is a video on YouTube on how to do this, I may do my own video to show this and make it a bit clearer then the one on you tube already. You use the angle cube to work out and then cancel the blade cant (miss alignment) in the clamp then adjust the arm angles in accordance with the cube angle to get the desired bevel angle you want. Again not a problem to sort out.

I think most of the other stuff he is on about is just not picking, I mean talk about cons on the Edge Pro, Lansky, Spyderco Sharp maker systems and we would here for day.

Hope this helps you out?

Steve.

HI Steve

Why did you opt for the Wicked Edge system and not the Edge Pro? I am confident you have a valid reason/reasons, but I would like to learn.

Cam
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby 247sniper » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:37 am

From research, the Edge pro you have to move the knife about, turn it side to side, this does not aid consistency, and that is exactly what you are after when sharpening a knife especially when your touching up a blade precisely you have already profiled, plus sharpening one side, then turning the knife over to the other side and then stroking it, not only lacks inconsistency but also takes up far more time.

I am sure the Edge Pro works really well, better then the likes pf the Sharpmaker and the Lansky system, it certainly gets good reviews etc, but the Wicked Edge just stands out far better for me and is the one I went for as it makes more sense, especially as you can do exact alternate strokes on each side of the blade in less then a second with out the need to move the blade at all. (When your competent with it ;) )

Hope this helps and answers your question? :)
247sniper
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Yessir » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:39 am

I watched the nutnfancy review and it looked slow and awkward to use accurately, that's a couple of reasons thats I rememember not going for it. They were still quite dear for a decent spec kit as well.
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby 247sniper » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:42 am

Yessir wrote:I watched the nutnfancy review and it looked slow and awkward to use accurately, that's a couple of reasons thats I rememember not going for it.

Exactly, if you have to move the blade position it looses accuracy and consistency. If you desire a properly sharp knife then you really need these two from the beginning. :thup:
247sniper
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cam » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:12 am

247sniper wrote:From research, the Edge pro you have to move the knife about, turn it side to side, this does not aid consistency, and that is exactly what you are after when sharpening a knife especially when your touching up a blade precisely you have already profiled, plus sharpening one side, then turning the knife over to the other side and then stroking it, not only lacks inconsistency but also takes up far more time.

I am sure the Edge Pro works really well, better then the likes pf the Sharpmaker and the Lansky system, it certainly gets good reviews etc, but the Wicked Edge just stands out far better for me and is the one I went for as it makes more sense, especially as you can do exact alternate strokes on each side of the blade in less then a second with out the need to move the blade at all. (When your competent with it ;) )

Hi Steve

Many thanks for your explanation.

I have been looking at sharpening systems for years (literally) and I had it in my head before this thread that the Wicked Edge was a Lansky-type system, but @ 90 degrees. After looking at the WE system again (and again), it is a completely different system offering a completely different result.

Steve, many thanks for the thread and please accept my apology for the incorrect and somewhat arrogant comment in my first post.

ATVB

Cam
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby 247sniper » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:29 am

Cam wrote:
247sniper wrote:From research, the Edge pro you have to move the knife about, turn it side to side, this does not aid consistency, and that is exactly what you are after when sharpening a knife especially when your touching up a blade precisely you have already profiled, plus sharpening one side, then turning the knife over to the other side and then stroking it, not only lacks inconsistency but also takes up far more time.

Hi Steve

Many thanks for your explanation.

I have been looking at sharpening systems for years (literally) and I had it in my head before this thread that the Wicked Edge was a Lansky-type system, but @ 90 degrees. After looking at the WE system again (and again), it is a completely different system offering a completely different result.

Steve, many thanks for the thread and please accept my apology for the incorrect and somewhat arrogant comment in my first post.

ATVB

Cam

Hi Cam,

No problem what so ever mate and im glad you enjoyed and found the trend useful. :)

I also have a Lansky system too, whilst it is a good cheap system and works well, its not a patch on the WE trust me ;)

Go on treat yourself or put it down on your Santa's list ;)
247sniper
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Knives, axes, other cutting tools and sharpening