divine

The perception gap

Pretty much anything shooting related

The perception gap

Postby Fenrir » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:27 pm

It is quite interesting to talk to people who have no idea of the complexities involved in taking up the sport of shooting using anything but air guns. Chatting with an accountant the other day I explained the rigmarole involved in progressing from somebody who fancies the idea to being an FAC holder and gun owner. He decided that it was far too much trouble.

He the shocked me a bit by asking if I would shoot a burglar. I told him I would if I could phone 999 and ask for assistance. I then had to explain that it would be quicker to wait for the police. If I was to even consider the self defence option I would firstly have to make a conscious decision about which firearm would be most effective, then locate the keys for the right cabinet then I would have to go to a different part of the house and retrieve the correct keys. I would then have to go to another part of the house to access the cabinet. I would then have to find the right keys to the right ammunition cabinet and then go to yet another cabinet to retrieve the bolt and a magazine. Then the gun would need to be assembled, the magazine charged and the gun finally loaded before it could be used. He was amazed at the security under which I keep my guns and had assumed they were just tucked away in wardrobes or shoved under beds. I suspect there are many who think this way.

At least he understood why waiting for the police could be quicker. ;)

I got the feeling all he wanted to do was get his hands on a gun he could use for home defence so I tried to make it sound as difficult as I could.
For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
Fenrir
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: The perception gap

Postby Keef » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:42 pm

I once put a piece on the net about driving and said that getting a driving licence and car should be subject to some restrictions.

I then wrote out the whole procedure for getting an FAC and firearm, including changing the guns but instead of using "Gun" "Ammunition" and "FAC" I substituted "Car" Fuel" and "Driving Licence".

I was told I was being ridiculous. They had no answer when I said that the system I described applied to having firearms and that as more people were killed by car drivers than gun owners why shouldn't it be applied to cars.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Jubbles » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:23 pm

Hi Fenrir

Just my opinion but that seems like a bit too much security. Just a presumption but i presume you don't take the spark plugs, steering wheel and wheels off you car in between use then lock them in separate cabinets :)
Jubbles
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Fenrir » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:25 pm

I was trying to get a message across rather than describe in perfectly accurate detail my security arrangements. Suffice it to say that the FEO is happy with what I have in place. I did not mention that there is no need to keep SGC ammo under lock and key, not to keep it disassembled. I did not mention that you do not actually need a cabinet.

This is not so much about what security individuals have, more about the perception amongst the wider public about what is involved in firearms ownership. There does seem to be a fairly widely held perception amongst many people I know that it is relatively easy to get a licence and about which I try to disabuse them.
For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
Fenrir
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Les1066 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:39 pm

I think this is probably why I never mention my 'status' as a FAC/SGC holder to anybody other than fellow shooters ....... it's a lot quicker, doesn't involve a lot of explanations, and saves lots of potential arguments. ;) :lol:
Les1066
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:15 pm

Fenrir wrote: .

He the shocked me a bit by asking if I would shoot a burglar.

Someone asked that of me once and before I could answer another fellow chirped in and said that they couldn't find a burglar crazy enough to try and find out. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby gun nut » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:17 am

flintlok wrote:
Fenrir wrote: .

He the shocked me a bit by asking if I would shoot a burglar.

Someone asked that of me once and before I could answer another fellow chirped in and said that they couldn't find a burglar crazy enough to try and find out. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

:lol: :lol: :thup: :thup:
A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range. - Paul Kirchner
A few acorns up the arse'd do 'em the world of good. It might even make them walk upright for a change. - Linegeist
gun nut
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Return to General Shooting Topics