divine

Civilian Service Rifle (CSR)

Pretty much anything shooting related

Civilian Service Rifle (CSR)

Postby airbrush » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:34 am

Interested if any of you guys take part, I know Terry (Thibben) does.
airbrush
Musketeer
Musketeer

Re: Civilian Service Rifle (CSR)

Postby Keef » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:01 pm

So what you want me to do is put some durable clothing on with boots and then stand around on Century waiting for my turn to run 600 yards in 100 yard sprints in the rain with mud clinging to said boots while carting a rifle with copious amounts of ammunition.

At the end of each sprint you expect me to fire multiple rounds through the rifle and hit a man shaped target while variously standing in six inches of water in a fire trench, lying in the mud, crouching in a very uncomfortable position trying not to get a wet arse or while standing gasping for breathe, all within some silly time limit that doesn't exceed twenty seconds at any one time.

Then I have to do it all over again but without shooting following another shooter to ensure he doesn't point his rifle at the backside of the guy next to him and give him an extra orifice.

I started doing that 47 years ago but they paid me to do it then, not me pay them! :) :) :)

At least I could use a semi auto then as well!
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby airbrush » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:44 pm

Lol, the clue is in the name Keith, 'Civilian'. You only have to run 300 yards in 100 yard stages it's not for 18 year old squaddies. :lol:

Apart from that not a bad description. :grin:
airbrush
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby Keef » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:40 pm

Sadly the ankles, knees and spine do not permit rapid movement let alone that running game. :shock:

Fire and movement for me now means getting closer to the radiator. :)

If they did a static version without the running I'd be there tomorrow! :thup: :)
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby airbrush » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:48 pm

There are plenty COF without any running involved, just positional shooting. ;)

And if a COF does involve a rundown you can always miss it out.
airbrush
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby flintlok » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:06 pm

Keef wrote:Sadly the ankles, knees and spine do not permit rapid movement let alone that running game. :shock:

Fire and movement for me now means getting closer to the radiator. :)

If they did a static version without the running I'd be there tomorrow! :thup: :)

The "closer to the radiator" stage keeps on getting better and better with age. :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby airbrush » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:15 pm

Hey Flintlok, just noticed you're from Tiverton, I've got family that live in the original Tiverton. :razz: :grin:
airbrush
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby flintlok » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:03 pm

airbrush wrote:Hey Flintlok, just noticed you're from Tiverton, I've got family that live in the original Tiverton. :razz: :grin:

Just about everybody in town knows that there is a Tiverton in the UK however I've yet to meet anyone who say exactly where it located in the UK. I've looked it up on the net and found it's website and then forgot as to exactly where it is. Tiverton is one of the early New England towns that originally belonged to Massachusetts that was given to Rhode Island to repay some sort of debt. The town is physically separated from the State of Rhodes by Mount Hope Bay to the south. I can see Mount Hope from my home. Mount Hope was once the center where the local indians lived and their chief was the one that welcomed the first English Plymouth Colony settlers to New England in 1620, the Pilgrims (you know, the English religious zealots with guns and a grand idea of manifest destiny). By 1675 those folks had the breath of New England at war with the Indians. The Indians lost and the center at Mount Hope was bought by some Bostonians Puritans, another group of reliigious witch burning English settlers. Massachuestts hasn't change that much in the last several hundred year other than they outlawed burning witches. That happened when somebody accused the Governor's wife of witchcraft. The still persecute folks though, especially gun owners.

In any case the Massachusetts type are good at driving folks out of the state. Most of Rhode Island was settled by folks who were driven out of Massachusetts and then they drove out the King when there was no one else to drive crazy and ban from the colony. Rhode Island was the first colony founded on religious freedom. We like our bats--t crazy witches.

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby airbrush » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:16 pm

Makes sense, Tiverton is in Devon as is Plymouth. ;)
airbrush
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby Bushdog » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:07 am

CSR sounds like fun, and involves "proper" shooting (i.e. not all prone from bipods, or with special shooting jackets and slings). Its one of those disciplines that I'd love to do if I had more time, but sadly can't right now.

I grew up and still live around 7 miles from Tiverton (Devon) and went to school there from age 11 - 18.

Its a nice little Devon town on the River Exe, slightly rough around the edges, with an interesting English civil war castle, and some very nice shooting estates situated not too far away.
Bushdog
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby airbrush » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:54 am

Bushdog wrote:CSR sounds like fun, and involves "proper" shooting (i.e. not all prone from bipods, or with special shooting jackets and slings). Its one of those disciplines that I'd love to do if I had more time, but sadly can't right now.

I grew up and still live around 7 miles from Tiverton (Devon) and went to school there from age 11 - 18.

Its a nice little Devon town on the River Exe, slightly rough around the edges, with an interesting English civil war castle, and some very nice shooting estates situated not too far away.

It is indeed great fun & very challenging, it will make you a better shot without a doubt. 8-)

Off down to Tiverton today, might take my .410 & go after some tree rats.
airbrush
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby Asher » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:59 pm

I've been thinking about trying CSR this year, but I need to sort my general level of fitness out first.

I also have concerns that I might be the only idiot to try and field an IBUS bullpup, possibly the most unwieldy, user unfriendly .223 ever built (albeit very accurate). It'd be the ugliest gun on the range if nothing else :grin:
Asher
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Keef » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:52 pm

Asher wrote:I've been thinking about trying CSR this year, but I need to sort my general level of fitness out first.

I also have concerns that I might be the only idiot to try and field an IBUS bullpup, possibly the most unwieldy, user unfriendly .223 ever built (albeit very accurate). It'd be the ugliest gun on the range if nothing else :grin:

How very dare you talk about a bullpup in that manner! :) :)
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:06 pm

Keef wrote:
Asher wrote:I've been thinking about trying CSR this year, but I need to sort my general level of fitness out first.

Perhaps he doesn't like thirty round detactable box magazines near his arm pit. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Asher » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:10 am

Keef wrote:

It's not the bullpup bit that's the problem :grin:

I don't know if you're familiar with the Ibus, but it's basically a straight pull, gen. 1 bushmaster m17s. They ( more or less) stuffed the action of an ar18 into a length of box section and attached a barrel with a screw at one end and a lock nut at the other . They need a fair bit of commitment to get them to behave, and even then they like to eject spent brass inside the receiver, just to keep things interesting, like :Facepalm:
Asher
Rifleman
Rifleman

Next

Return to General Shooting Topics