divine

An elusive roebuck

Pretty much anything shooting related

An elusive roebuck

Postby mathspete » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:32 pm

Over the last 4 or 5 visits to one of my permissions in lincolnshire I have noticed quite a few roe does,up to 6 last time, but I have never spotted the buck. Robbie assured me that if there were that many does then there would be a buck about somewhere. Tonight I parked up centrally about 6 and proceeded to eat my fish n chips bought en route. I then commenced systematically glassing all the surrounding fields, after spotting a few rabbits I checked the large field behind me to see 4 brown blobs about 800 yards away close to the tree line, this was going to be a long stalk. Fortunately the field divider is a dried out drainage ditch overgrown with brambles for 200 yards then with a thin strip of trees about 10 yards wide. I grabbed the 270 and ammo and walked down the next field to a corner from where I knew I could work my way through the ditch. After climbing the barbed wire and as quietly as I could getting past all the trees and dead twigs on the floor I started to climb the far side of the ditch. As my head cleared the lip I brought up the glasses and there about 50 yards away was, 1 doe then another, 10 yards to the side was another deer but this one had antlers and was staring straight at my location, he knew something was up, so I hadn't been as quiet as I thought. He spooked and ran to my left, this put a tree between us so I took the chance to climb out of the ditch and get behind some cover. He stopped and looked back at the trees giving me a side on shot, he then strolled 5 yards further and turned to face me head-on but also giving me a convenient branch to rest on. I put the crosshairs just under his chin and fired. There was a large smack and down he went. The 3 does now calmly strolled off and through the fence. I checked that he was dead, ( his neck was nearly severed the 140 grain V-Max had done its job). Now all I had to do was drag him the 800 yards to the truck :shock: :thdn: . Sod that, I went and got the Landy and drove back to load him up, he was a big boy and is now hanging in the shed waiting to be butchered. His antlers are undamaged, both with 3 nice points, and will make very nice tops for hazel sticks. I can't wait for November to come because all those does must have youngsters somewhere :thup: giving me plenty of venison for christmas :thumbs:
mathspetedeer.jpg
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: An elusive roebuck

Postby flintlok » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:31 am

Nice hunt. It's always great to fetch a nice buck. Deer season is still a distance off in New England. Congrats.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:55 am

nice report, and well done, wish we had deer, when i had my fac the three calibers i wanted was 30-30, 30-06 and 270
whats it like to shoot :shotgun: :shotgun:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mathspete » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:39 am

The 270 is a beaut of a calibre and very hard hitting, it is a 30-06 round that's been necked down to 270 so the lighter bullets go out at a fair old pace and carry more energy than the original 30 cal round :shock: There are several places in Scotland that insist on a 30 calibre rifle to shoot reds on their land. I tried to explain that my 270 was harder hitting but they were just jobsworths who knew no better :thdn: so what could I do? I got myself a 30-06 as well :thumbs: The FEO said they were numpties but was quite happy to let me have another rifle on that evidence :cheese: Mine is an old style Sako that has been responsible for dropping every deer I've ever shot, only one has failed to drop completely dead on impact and that was my fault due to a poorly placed 300 yard shot in heavy wind, it went down but needed a second round to finish it from closer in. Get yourself over here in November, I'll take you out for one of those does.
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:15 pm

mathspete wrote:The 270 is a beaut of a calibre and very hard hitting, it is a 30-06 round that's been necked down to 270 so the lighter bullets go out at a fair old pace and carry more energy than the original 30 cal round :shock: There are several places in Scotland that insist on a 30 calibre rifle to shoot reds on their land. I tried to explain that my 270 was harder hitting but they were just jobsworths who knew no better :thdn: so what could I do? I got myself a 30-06 as well :thumbs: The FEO said they were numpties but was quite happy to let me have another rifle on that evidence :cheese: Mine is an old style Sako that has been responsible for dropping every deer I've ever shot, only one has failed to drop completely dead on impact and that was my fault due to a poorly placed 300 yard shot in heavy wind, it went down but needed a second round to finish it from closer in. Get yourself over here in November, I'll take you out for one of those does.

would love to, but doubt it the way covid is going :bh:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mathspete » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:01 pm

I took the butchered carcass to my local Gastropub/restaurant and "gave" it to the chef, who was well pleased. He in turn to say thanks for the time spent on prepping the carcass said my wife and I could have 2 full 3 course evening meals with drinks for free ( up to £60), so everybody happy. I would have posted a picture of him in my original post but I don't know how to anymore :Facepalm:
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby hungryrob » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:33 pm

Great wee story Pete. Well done.

A couple of meals out is pretty good value for a Roe. I normally only get about 40 - 50 quid for them :)
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby leadpig » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:25 am

pic attached :grin:

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to General Shooting Topics