divine

Foxing on bonfire night

Pretty much anything shooting related

Foxing on bonfire night

Postby mathspete » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:30 am

I've always regarded bonfire night as a great chance to get into the spots where it's sensitive to shoot, as the tree huggers don't know you're there and can't tell shots from fireworks :thumbs: . Over the past 3 months I've been tasked to get rid of some town foxes released by the RSPCA near a friends smallholding. This is a regular occurrence and they know what to do, feeding every night in spots where it is safe to shoot and phoning me when the foxes are turning up regularly. Fox number one was easy, food in the middle of the horse ménage, me parked up on the terrace above and as he strolled in the shotgun with 50 gram BB's did the job. Number 2 was tempted in to a feeding spot in front of the dung heap, (to give me a good backstop), 30 yards away from the hidden Land Rover and he dropped to the 17HMR in this noise sensitive area. Number 3 took a while, about 12 visits before he and I were there at the same time for long enough to get a shot, the 22.250 sorted him when I got the chance when he couldn't resist some tuna and dog biscuits. I thought I'd got em all but 4 was eating the food the same night that 3 had bought the farm. Several more frustrating sightings over the last week, convinced me to play the joker, (sausages). I saw him on November 4th, but not enough firework bangs to mask my movement and he scarpered. Tonight he crossed in front about 7.30 as the fireworks died down, not enough light for a shot. At 8.15 I got a glimpse as he dashed out from behind some hedge clippings and grabbed a sausage. I settled behind the rifle and sure enough 5 seconds later he popped out again and as he selected his second banger the 50grain V-max from the 22-250 did its job and he dropped on the spot. That was it, or so I thought, I've just had a text from the owners saying there's yet another snacking at the food late tonight. Thank you to the Regular Suppliers of Pete's Cullable Animals, and I'll have to go back to get number 5.
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Foxing on bonfire night

Postby Shootist » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:49 pm

I don't have any particular grudge against foxes but will shoot them if need be. OTOH I loath and despise the RSPCA. It therefore warms my heart to tell the tale of a farm that was the regular release spot for the RSPCA to release foxes, particularly town foxes that had been trapped. One night they were going about there tricks, releasing a fox, which ran about 30 yards or so into a field before, to the dismay of the people releasing it, and doubtless the fox also, it was detonated by a 22-250. No moderator either! May all the gods protect us from well meaning fools.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:08 pm

Shootist wrote:I don't have any particular grudge against foxes but will shoot them if need be. OTOH I loath and despise the RSPCA. It therefore warms my heart to tell the tale of a farm that was the regular release spot for the RSPCA to release foxes, particularly town foxes that had been trapped. One night they were going about there tricks, releasing a fox, which ran about 30 yards or so into a field before, to the dismay of the people releasing it, and doubtless the fox also, it was detonated by a 22-250. No moderator either! May all the gods protect us from well meaning fools.

i wish someone had recorded there faces :clap: :die:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Deallad » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:11 pm

I set a small business in Kent dealing with foxes.

Cage trapping and dispatch with a 22 through the top of the head.
During the covid con lockdown many people were at home and see the unwanted critters in their gardens.
Buy quality traps with a vertical dropping door, caged foxes are very strong, advise customers not to put fingers through the cage (some like to touch)

The costs
The cage cost £100
bait (sardines) 35p a tin
22ammo the cheapest you can find (accuracy not important) though I have found CCI segmented quiet to be the best

The profit
£35-00 per fox

On most sites 3 or 4 foxes are caught within 3 days

I set and bait trap customer calls when they see fox in trap, on the down side you have to release the odd moggie

Double bag the dead fox, reset trap remove from site, place in wheelie bin

Mike
Attachments
XOLX1187.JPG
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:56 pm

Deallad wrote:I set a small business in Kent dealing with foxes.

Cage trapping and dispatch with a 22 through the top of the head.
During the covid con lockdown many people were at home and see the unwanted critters in their gardens.
Buy quality traps with a vertical dropping door, caged foxes are very strong, advise customers not to put fingers through the cage (some like to touch)

The costs
The cage cost £100
bait (sardines) 35p a tin
22ammo the cheapest you can find (accuracy not important) though I have found CCI segmented quiet to be the best

The profit
£35-00 per fox

On most sites 3 or 4 foxes are caught within 3 days

I set and bait trap customer calls when they see fox in trap, on the down side you have to release the odd moggie

Double bag the dead fox, reset trap remove from site, place in wheelie bin

Mike

so how much do you charge per fox :)
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mathspete » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:30 pm

Foxes numbers 5 and 6 went up to the great chicken run in the sky before Christmas, but more appeared early Feb and I got another call to pop down. Catching sight of them was tricky and it wasn't until last week that I saw two of them cross my kill zone but neither gave me time for the shot and ignored the dog biscuits put out to hold them for enough time. The biscuits had always gone by morning so they were returning to eat them sometime during the night. I asked if they could put out some canned dog food for a few nights, and this was also disappearing so I set up last night at 6.30 and settled in with the 22.250. Sure enough just before 8 one trotted through and snatched a chunk before hiding out of sight, 5 seconds later he crept slowly back in and was quite happy to select himself another choice piece of butchers dog food, the 250 did its usual job and he dropped without a twitch, a big dog will now not steal any more chickens or ducks. I await the call for the other one. Photo will follow :thumbs:
IMG-20210316-WA0000.jpg
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mathspete » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:40 pm

Number 8 met his maker tonight,appearing after only 15 minutes waiting, in fact I was still playing backgammon on my phone when I glanced up to see him tucking into the scattered food. Will check in the morning to see if the rest has gone.
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter