divine

It's doe time.

Pretty much anything shooting related

It's doe time.

Postby mathspete » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:38 pm

Having not been out after deer since the buck I wrote about back in September, at last I managed to get the all clear to go to one of my patches in Lincs where I knew there were does needing to be culled. I loaded my portable high seat into the Landie and got there at 1.30 in what I thought was loads of time to get it fixed up in my favourite spot. I glassed the fields as usual to find 6 of the sods already out in the middle of their usual field. No chance of the high seat now and my stalk of last time was a no-go now the leaves have all gone :thdn: I took the next 20 minutes sneaking as slowly and quietly as possible down the other side of the field divide,using anything I could to hide behind,bales, crops,tall grasses and reeds all helped me to get in range. There were 5 does and a buck still in velvet about 200 yards from me and ambling towards the fence which is the farm boundary. The problem was finding a firm rest and the reeds on the other side of the ditch which I would have to aim and fire through :turd: not ideal. I crawled a further 30 yards to a corner where there is a large concrete fence post to give me a nice flat firm surface about 3 feet high. I kept scanning the field and saw there was a small gap in the reeds through which I could shoot, this was going to be a waiting game for one of them to stroll across this gap. The buck was not happy and so he and the does were heading for the fence, the last one gave me the shot and she dropped to a neck shot from my trusty 270. I walked back to the Landie and drove down the field to collect the carcass when I saw that some of the does were still hanging about near the body, but they ran on seeing the vehicle coming down the field. It was the biggest doe I have ever seen or shot,a real struggle to pick up, heavy and also nearly as long as I am tall. As my usual restaurant can't take this one due to covid I have arranged a private sale to my dentist, priced at only two bottles of single malt. I'm letting him choose which ones as a surprise, the shop he's mentioned has over 540 different malt whiskies :thumbs: :thumbs: I'll post a picture to one of the mods to post for me :beers:
Attachments
IMG-20210112-WA0000.jpg
Last edited by mathspete on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: It's doe time.

Postby leadpig » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:54 pm

:shotgun: :cheers: :cheers:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:46 am

Love the 270 and single malts. It's the best of both worlds. :cheers: :cheers:
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby libensvolenspotens » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:22 pm

Nicely done! :cheers:
libensvolenspotens
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mathspete » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:02 am

I delivered the butchered carcass on saturday morning to a very happy customer who has christened me as Deliveroe, and informed all his pals :thumbs: more possible customers. My payment was 1 bottle Talisker Skye, 1 bottle Auchentoshan American oak expression and 1 bottle of his own damson gin. Fair payment I think compared to the usual credit note from the restaurant. All three bottles are now seriously depleted :beers:
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter