divine

185lb crossbow V fox?

Pretty much anything shooting related

Re: 185lb crossbow V fox?

Postby leadpig » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:09 pm

jeff wrote:
247sniper wrote:Im my day when I use to compete for the GB squad I would be confifdent and qutie capable of dropping a fox at 100 yards and more (Not that i would do it) with my highly tuned compound bow, but like has been said, its not leagal over there and we have no fox over here. ;)

Can't remember if we did this on one of the other threads, but can you bow hunt in the IOM??

no,ive asked already ;) :lol:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Born Again » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:26 pm

Fair points about the shotgun, but I'll wager more foxes have been killed with 1 1/4oz birdshot from a 12g than with any other calibre rifle or shotgun. Not that I would suggest that loading if going after a fox specifically, there are some hefty loads in No1 or No3 that would do the job at close range.

Not ideal, as you say, but for a one off job a lot less hassle than getting FAC without a mentor.
Born Again
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby humperdingle » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:35 pm

Born Again wrote:Fair points about the shotgun, but I'll wager more foxes have been killed with 1 1/4oz birdshot from a 12g than with any other calibre rifle or shotgun. Not that I would suggest that loading if going after a fox specifically, there are some hefty loads in No1 or No3 that would do the job at close range.

Not ideal, as you say, but for a one off job a lot less hassle than getting FAC without a mentor.

Suppose you could say the same about snares or other traps.

Maybe i've just been put off by past experience.

The OP has set up his website to cope with such instances, I would imagine, and I wouldn't have thought he'll have much trouble getting somebody with the right tool for the job to carry out the work. He just needs to check the SF ads.
humperdingle
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:59 pm

Born Again wrote:Fair points about the shotgun, but I'll wager more foxes have been killed with 1 1/4oz birdshot from a 12g than with any other calibre rifle or shotgun. .

i would think that the 22lr has taken more than anything ;)
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby plugg » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:12 pm

leadpig wrote:
Born Again wrote:Fair points about the shotgun, but I'll wager more foxes have been killed with 1 1/4oz birdshot from a 12g than with any other calibre rifle or shotgun. .

I personally shot in the region of 85 foxes last year, one of them 398 yards (lasered) with my .22-250; I'd struggle to believe any farmer/landowner has shot 85 foxes with a shotgun in his lifetime nevermind an a year
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Born Again » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:28 pm

plugg wrote:
leadpig wrote:

I personally shot in the region of 85 foxes last year, one of them 398 yards (lasered) with my .22-250; I'd struggle to believe any farmer/landowner has shot 85 foxes with a shotgun in his lifetime nevermind an a year

Very impressive :thup: . However, in the grand scheme of things your 85 foxes won't stack up against the thousands of farmers and smallholders who reached for the nearest gun and shot the fox that was trying to get into the chickens, since before you or your Dad were born :grin: .

That's not an insult, by the way, just pointing out that the trusty 12g has been very popular for a very long time.
Born Again
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby plugg » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:53 pm

Born Again wrote:
plugg wrote:
leadpig wrote:

Very impressive :thup: . However, in the grand scheme of things your 85 foxes won't stack up against the thousands of farmers and smallholders who reached for the nearest gun and shot the fox that was trying to get into the chickens, since before you or your Dad were born :grin: .

That's not an insult, by the way, just pointing out that the trusty 12g has been very popular for a very long time.

No insult taken :thup:

I see what you are saying.

Think of it this way-

You get a call from the landowner saying he has seen a fox and he reckons its one that has ravaged his chickens for the second time and he wants you to kill it.

You would have to be in range with a shotgun to kill it, its not going to hang around if you are walking around the land looking for it and if its already heard the supersonic crack of few pellets winging its way towards it, it certainly isn't going to give you another chance to get inside that 50 yards for another shot.

Whilst I agree with your points a shotgun is just so inefficient on many points for the task (not the killing part) where a rifle greatly increases the range and it usually does the job first time.

That said, if you know where and when the fox will be in a particular place, as they are creatures of habit, the shotty might be the best tool.
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Wackerrat45 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:52 pm

Wow this has certainly opened a discussion hasn't it. Lol.
I will not be hunting with bows, and as for FAC's I will probably look into that more seriously but would like to get more permissions that will justify the need. I also will need to look into what type of FAC rifle to get? Lots to think about. Rimfire or centre fire, I don't think I will go for a shotgun. :grin:
Thanks for the many contributions you have made.
http://www.verminhunters.co.uk

Ruger 10/22
Crossman 2240
AA S410 TDR.
Wackerrat45
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby supersnapper » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:32 pm

I have a 150lb crossbow that would bring down a deer, but as stated bow hunting is illegal in this country. Not that I want to hunt with mine anyway. It would definately be capable of killing a man too ( not that I want to do that either).
supersnapper
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Yessir » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:14 pm

How come you can kill an animal with a knife, but not a bow/X-bow? :hmm: .

SG loads from a shotgun, I've pattered my home loads so I'd go with a max of 25Y but watch your backstop :shock: :grin: (9-15, 8.6mm lead balls ;) ) . That's what I'd have for around hen pens, or a close range bait point, etc. Not really what I'd select for use in the feild though. So it would depend on the circumstances.

Steve your forgetting the wallabies :grin: .
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby leadpig » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:13 pm

Yessir wrote:How come you can kill an animal with a knife, but not a bow/X-bow? :hmm: .

It was stopped in the UK with the 1981 Wildlife & countryside act,to many idiots ruined it and the anti's went mad

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Yessir » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:29 pm

leadpig wrote:
Yessir wrote:How come you can kill an animal with a knife, but not a bow/X-bow? :hmm: .

It was stopped in the UK with the 1981 Wildlife & countryside act,to many idiots ruined it and the anti's went mad

So now the same idiots just carry on regardless probably.
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby leadpig » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:35 pm

Yessir wrote:
leadpig wrote:

So now the same idiots just carry on regardless probably.

yup and without any governing body,sounds familiar ;) :roll: :thdn: :thdn:

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Coldfinger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:25 am

The bow has a draw weight of 185lb crossbow, the fox (and other animals) has the full weight of the law behind it. To avoid the latter forget about using the former.
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby plugg » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:28 am

Thats technically not correct, Billy. You can kill an animal with a knife because usually the animal will be static and unable to move, an example of this is HD or when the animal is contained in a device to prevent it from moving eg at a slaughter house.

If you was however to attach a knife to a long stick as in a fashioned spear that is illegal. (AFAIK it is still legal to kill marine animals in the UK waters (fish, not mammals) with a spear (and harpoons)).

In cases of say deer HD with a knife then you are doing the animal a favour and it would probably be unlikely that you would be prosecuted for doing it, provided that the way it was done was seen as humane. Stabbing it in the chest a dozen times to kill it, in my mind is not humane, however cutting its throat is.

Im pretty sure it comes down to the ability for the animal to bugger off and die suffering why bows/X bows and spears cant be used for hunting.
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Shooting Topics