divine

Choosing a rifle: .243 versus .223 for foxing

Pretty much anything shooting related

Re: Choosing a rifle: .243 versus .223 for foxing

Postby leadpig » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:15 pm

hungryrob wrote:
As an occasional stalker and regular fox hunter, if I could only have one rifle apart from my .22lr it would be the .243.

can of worms...check,,,tin opener...check ;)
why 22lr :hmm:

personally it would be 17mach2 and .222 but we have no deer
one rifle only = hornet :thup:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Cottontail killer » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:29 pm

Recently I been experiencing some inconsistency in my shooting. I use a T8 silencer, CZ527 .223, 6-18x42 scope and 50grain remingtons. but recently I have been struggling to put close range foxes down instantly, even with a frontal brisket shot. any shot past 100yds seem to be bang on. Any body give me any advice, is my silencer playing havoc with my shooting?

I don't know about your foxing but I shot 2 bunnies the other night with the 223 and both were thru and thru with no damage to the rabbit at 80ish yards the next one I took at just over 150 yards and it exploded couldn't work that one out that was a 55g vmax

Paul
I shoot more bullets than Topper Harley in hotshots part deux

Big Gun
Big Gun
Bigger Gun
Little Gun
Another Little Gun
Another Big Gun
2 More Little Guns
Another Little Gun
Cottontail killer
Hunter
Hunter

Postby leadpig » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:41 pm

Cottontail killer wrote:Recently I been experiencing some inconsistency in my shooting. I use a T8 silencer, CZ527 .223, 6-18x42 scope and 50grain remingtons. but recently I have been struggling to put close range foxes down instantly, even with a frontal brisket shot. any shot past 100yds seem to be bang on. Any body give me any advice, is my silencer playing havoc with my shooting?

I don't know about your foxing but I shot 2 bunnies the other night with the 223 and both were thru and thru with no damage to the rabbit at 80ish yards the next one I took at just over 150 yards and it exploded couldn't work that one out that was a 55g vmax

Paul

i have had the same with hornet and hmr,its down to the density of what you hit and at what speed :?
i shot two rabbits with two shots sat within 2 metres of each other with the hornet,one completley blew up,but i could not find a mark on the other one :? :hmm:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Previous

Return to General Shooting Topics