divine

UN Ban on firearms

Pretty much anything shooting related

UN Ban on firearms

Postby 9mm » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:42 pm

Does anyone have any reliable info on this? There is lots of opinion on the web, but I cant decipher the UN's actual documents on this.

It is due to come into effect this Christmas.
Browning Silver semi-auto 12g, Side-by-side .410, Brno semi-auto .22lr, Smith Wesson 559 semi-auto 9mm, Walther PPK .22lr. NRA RCO & FAW Instructor
9mm
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: UN Ban on firearms

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:29 pm

9mm wrote:Does anyone have any reliable info on this? There is lots of opinion on the web, but I cant decipher the UN's actual documents on this.

It is due to come into effect this Christmas.

got a link :?:
sounds gonads to me :thup:
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby 9mm » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:38 pm

This is the official UN site: http://www.un.org/disarmament/ATT/

But Google the phrase and lots of fora and activist sites will pop up.
Browning Silver semi-auto 12g, Side-by-side .410, Brno semi-auto .22lr, Smith Wesson 559 semi-auto 9mm, Walther PPK .22lr. NRA RCO & FAW Instructor
9mm
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:12 pm

Ban on Firearms for whom, Police, Civilians, Army, terrorists - or ALL of them?????

Or just for UN council members :Facepalm: :Facepalm: :Facepalm: :Facepalm: :Facepalm:

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby 9mm » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:15 pm

From what I can see, the UN want all nations to give them control over legislating private gun ownership, sale, transfer etc etc...
9mm
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:24 pm

9mm wrote:From what I can see, the UN want all nations to give them control over legislating private gun ownership, sale, transfer etc etc...

That's hilarious, go on, tell me another :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Seriously, I doubt that would happen, but how does control equate with banning them in THIS particular instance?

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Keef » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:30 pm

I suspect that it is about the control of firearms for export which has been signed up to by a number of nations to prevent the sale of weapons to places like Africa where terrorists or rebels get hold of them.

It won't work of course because the primary suppliers of these guns haven't signed up to it.

The US has however and the main effect has been to limit exports of sporting firearms which were never going to end up in the hands of rebels.

Some detail is here:

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-nations
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Viperteks » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Thanks Keef!

Great idea :Facepalm:

Tell me again - how many AK47's are out there NOW... hmmmm! :shock:

Not going to happen!

Dave
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby flintlok » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:36 pm

Gun owners in the US strongly oppose the treaty especially the tracking provision where the government would introduce a gun registration provision. Nobody wants to register anything with the government as it could ultimately lead to confiscation. There have been localize mass confiscation of existing guns in the US before and no US gun owner wants to see that happen again. The treaty has not been ratified by the US Senate and with the Republicans currently in control oh the Senate as well as some pro gun Democrats I can't see that happening in the near future. There is always the very real issue of mass non compliance in the US. Add the fact that few US citizens have any respect for the UN other than Obama and his crew this would a highly unpopular treaty. Given that the US conforms to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) (a set of United States government regulations that control the export and import of defense-related articles including small arms rifles such as 22 rimfire) in conformance with the international Wassenaar Arrangement I see no need for the Arms Trade Treaty (ATT).

US gun owners have been caught up in this since we buy imported small arms from manufacturers whose companies reside in countries that are signatories of the (ATT). I have no idea how they intend the foist their UN idea of gun control on the individual shooter in the us who wishes to buy such a firearm.

Personally I feel the this treaty will have it's opposite effect of it's intent in the US. The American shooter is a skittish creature and when there any indication of a potential gun ban or new regulations prompts everyone to go on a buying frenzy. Obama is the best gun salesman in the US and he nearly alone with his opinions and policies have put more guns on the street than ever before. This treaty would have the same effect as well as create a massive black market of firearms in the US. Nobody want to register their guns.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby 9mm » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:29 am

Thats looks like the most common sense assesment yet, thank you :)
9mm
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to General Shooting Topics