divine

My Camera Tripod Shooting Rest

Pretty much anything shooting related

My Camera Tripod Shooting Rest

Postby bigfellascott » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:52 am

Here's the Camera Tripod Rest I made today - Took about 10mins and she was done. I got a piece of 3mm Aluminium Plate from the Engineering place down the road (they gave me it for nothing and cut it to size) :D it measures 240mm long by 100mm wide, then then went home and found dead centre, drilled the hole to suit the tripod attachment, then measured 50mm in from each end, drew a line and then put that plate into my vice and proceeded to bend it using a piece of wood and hammer, repeated the process on the other end and she was ready to mount the attachment too.

I will trim the bolt I used and also put some Styrofoam to put on the base to cover up the bolt completely this eliminating any chance if it damaging the sand filled bag (made from old jean legs) I'll also round the sharp edges off to eliminate any damage that could come from that.

There's plenty of flexibility in the Camera tripod too, with the 3 diff leg lengths being fully adjustable to any length and configuration so will be hand off the sides of some of the hills I shoot on too I would imagine, the head is completely adjustable from up/down side to side and rotates 360 deg so plenty of flexibility there too.

The little base plate that came with the Tripod is very quick to attach and remove so packing up will be a breeze also. I can use it whilst sitting on the ground and standing up and sitting down if I wish so plenty of flexibility there too.

Anyway I'll let you know how it goes when I get out and test it on some bunnies (which is what its for - just snipping little ol bunnies.

Setup to shoot in the sitting position from ground

Setup to shoot from the seat

Tripod head with lots of adjustability and is able to be fully locked up also to reduce movement

The quick detach setup
bigfellascott
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Re: My Camera Tripod Shooting Rest

Postby Hornet 6 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:10 am

Nicely done, they work well and at sensible cost.

Neil. :)
Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby bigfellascott » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:21 am

Hornet 6 wrote:Nicely done, they work well and at sensible cost.

Neil. :)

Cheers Neil, I'm sure it will do the job well enough for my needs. :thup: I already had the Tripod sitting there doing nothing so figured I might as well put it to use, the rest of it cost nothing so she was indeed cheap enough to make. I saw one advertised on some Tactical Site and they wanted $160 + postage :shock: I wasn't paying that for one when I could make it myself for peanuts. :shock: ;)
bigfellascott
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Les1066 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:25 am

I use two that I bought from Aldi and modified. I've had them a few years now, and they are still going strong. Definitely a good idea if you have problems shooting off-hand. :thup: :)
Les1066
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby bigfellascott » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:00 pm

Les1066 wrote:I use two that I bought from Aldi and modified. I've had them a few years now, and they are still going strong. Definitely a good idea if you have problems shooting off-hand. :thup: :)

Cheers Les, another good place to pick Tripods up at times are Garage Sales - I've seen a few lately in my hunts for cheap power tools - both only around $10 so not expensive to make if you find one at the right price, this one should work fine I reckon, well enough for my needs anyway.
bigfellascott
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby The_Dogge » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:32 pm

I liked the look of this sort of thing, for a military version google "hog saddle" and the same companys cheaper "pig saddle" I think it was.

I saw this http://www.bushwear.co.uk/primos-2-point-gun-rest.html
and thought it looked a good idea, but I wasn't paying £50 to try it! so I knocked one up in wood and mounted it on an old camera tripod I usually use for my chrony. Sorry havent go a pic handy. I think it should work great, with it on a tripod you are using a really steady rest and the tripod's "damped" pan/tilt head for aiming adjustments. I cant comment on real world results as to be honest I haven't fired a shot off it yet.
The_Dogge
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby bigfellascott » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:37 pm

The_Dogge wrote:I liked the look of this sort of thing, for a military version google "hog saddle" and the same companys cheaper "pig saddle" I think it was.

I saw this http://www.bushwear.co.uk/primos-2-point-gun-rest.html
and thought it looked a good idea, but I wasn't paying £50 to try it! so I knocked one up in wood and mounted it on an old camera tripod I usually use for my chrony. Sorry havent go a pic handy. I think it should work great, with it on a tripod you are using a really steady rest and the tripod's "damped" pan/tilt head for aiming adjustments. I cant comment on real world results as to be honest I haven't fired a shot off it yet.

I was only thinking about something like this today, I tend to wobble about abit without a rear rest, that's not a bad setup, looks a little flimsy maybe but who knows really until you give em a go hey.
bigfellascott
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby bigfellascott » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:38 pm

I've just finished mine, thought I might duck out and give the corners and bolt a trim with the grinder and a quick file and that was sorted, as I sat there looking around I spotted a Blue Dish Washer upper thingy and though that should fit, and it did all I have to do is sit my Jean's Sandbag on top and she's good to go :D

Now to take it and and hammer some bunnies :lol:

bigfellascott
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Return to General Shooting Topics