divine

Barrel length

Pretty much anything shooting related

Barrel length

Postby tignme » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:03 pm

when measuring barrel length where do i measure from.
Want rimmie as short as possible to forend but legal. thx
tignme
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Barrel length

Postby Yessir » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:13 pm

Bolt face.
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby mr smith » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:15 pm

Yeah basically the start of the chamber.
Dundee rifle and pistol club
mr smith
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:17 pm

Yessir wrote:Bolt face.

:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby bedwards1966 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:49 pm

Don't try to leave less than 1/2 an inch more than the legal limit though.
a) you want to make it easy so that any idiot can measure it and clearly tell it isn't less than 12"
and
b) you should leave a little room at the end in case any work ever needs to be done in the future, such as if you damage the crown or moderator thread.
bedwards1966
Hunter
Hunter

Postby tignme » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:08 am

Thx all.
tignme
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby ozone1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:53 pm

Can the barrel length include a muzzle break?

ozone,

ozone1
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Yessir » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:01 am

Yes or moderator, as long as it's fixed.
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Cam » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:02 am

ozone1 wrote:.

Can the barrel length include a muzzle break?

ozone,

NO! It can't. Unless there has been a change since August 2014. IIIRC,There was/is a case involving a De Lilse carbine (short but shrouded barrel) where the owner was/is facing a s5 prosecution.

I have a very recent letter from the Home Office concerning this very matter. EDIT: See below

Cam

Reference: T10705/14
26 August 2014

Dear Mr Ross,

Thank you for your email of 10 August about the legislative controls on air weapons.

In your first question you ask whether air rifles that have a barrel of less than 30cm and are capable of discharging a missile in excess of 12 foot pounds would be classed as a section 5 prohibited weapon. Paragraph 2.44 of the Guide on Firearms Licensing Law 2014 sets out that an air rifle with a muzzle energy in excess of 12 foot pounds must be held on a firearm certificate. Any air pistol which either has a barrel less than 30cm in length or is less than 60cm in length overall, with a muzzle energy in excess of 6 foot lbs is a prohibited firearm.

In your second question you ask whether shrouds, silencers or any “add ons” can be claimed towards the barrel length. I can confirm that these items cannot be included within the overall length of the barrel.

I hope this has provided you with sufficient clarity.

Yours sincerely

B Mehmet
Email: Public.Enquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Yessir » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:22 am

You must be talking about detachable?, as there's dozens of examples of rifles being sold where a fixed moderator (or its one piece baffle stack) makes up a large portion of the legal barrel length.
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Cam » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:17 am

Yessir wrote:You must be talking about detachable?, as there's dozens of examples of rifles being sold where a fixed moderator (or its one piece baffle stack) makes up a large portion of the legal barrel length.

Hi Yessir

Some shrouds are permanently fixed, but as you can see from the HO reply, they are not counted as part of the barrel length. Furthermore, back in August 2014, BASC's opinion was that silencers, even though permanently fixed, don't count as part of the OA barrel length.

Cam
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Postby GHE » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:20 pm

Cam wrote:
Yessir wrote:You must be talking about detachable?, as there's dozens of examples of rifles being sold where a fixed moderator (or its one piece baffle stack) makes up a large portion of the legal barrel length.

Hi Yessir

Some shrouds are permanently fixed, but as you can see from the HO reply, they are not counted as part of the barrel length. Furthermore, back in August 2014, BASC's opinion was that silencers, even though permanently fixed, don't count as part of the OA barrel length.

Cam

In this case BASC seems to be erring on the side of caution, and personally I think that they're probably right on this - but remember that their opinion counts for squat, and anyone who ends up following their advice but breaking the law will end up still breaking the law, and up the creek without the proverbial paddle.
God is not on the side of the big batallions, but on the side of those who shoot best - Voltaire
GHE
Hunter
Hunter

Postby smellywelly » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:22 pm

whats the definition of permanently fixed ? .. screw on, welded, push on (I doubt :) ) ? Screw on is not readily removed for example ?
Black powder smoke ....... the shot seemed ok... but it takes ages to find out :D
smellywelly
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Asher » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:12 pm

Cam wrote:

Hi Yessir

Cam

Interesting stuff. There were quite a number of Mossberg 590 S1 shotguns available in the UK which had 18" barrels which had been extended to the legal 24" with permanently fitted (welded) birdcage or solid tubes prior to import & proof. These were, as far as I know, considered to have 24" barrels and therefore legal.

That HO reply doesn't specify a distinction between permanent and removeable add-ons, and I initially took it at face value that "add on" infers a temporary fixture. Is there a specific definition in the firearms act (given the Home Office are not immune to looking at things their own way)?
Asher
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Cam » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:49 pm

Asher wrote:
Cam wrote:

Hi Yessir

Cam

Interesting stuff. There were quite a number of Mossberg 590 S1 shotguns available in the UK which had 18" barrels which had been extended to the legal 24" with permanently fitted (welded) birdcage or solid tubes prior to import & proof. These were, as far as I know, considered to have 24" barrels and therefore legal.

That HO reply doesn't specify a distinction between permanent and removeable add-ons, and I initially took it at face value that "add on" infers a temporary fixture. Is there a specific definition in the firearms act (given the Home Office are not immune to looking at things their own way)?

The HO states that "any" odd-ons do not count! I would suggest that you email the HO.

Cam
Cam
Hunter
Hunter

Next

Return to General Shooting Topics