divine

Shooting big things with horns or tusks.

Pretty much anything shooting related

Shooting big things with horns or tusks.

Postby Shootist » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:15 pm

OK, I've been shooting for many years, both target and vermin, and now have my first stalk booked. I've been looking around for some more opportunities, both deer and wild boar, before taking my DSC1, who knows, I may not enjoy it. I have already encountered the first problem, that is I'm not a millionaire . The pricing of stalks / hunts that are available seems complex to say the least. At first the prices seem manageable, but then there often follows extra money for shooting a big one, a little one, horns, no horns, spoiled meat, I half expect to see having to pay extra if the bloody thing is left handed.

All I want to do is to hunt, (or ambush) and shoot a beast that needs shooting, with the prospect of getting some meat at the end of a pleasant day out. At the moment it's starting to feel a bit like going to the butchers for a couple of pounds of steak, paying for it to be told it's out the back, probably, go find it, if it's there kill it, and choose the bits you want and we'll sell it to you.

It's not quite like that I know, but sometimes it feels a little like it.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for deer or wild boar hunting? I'm not looking for traipsing up hill and down dale as all I am likely to get is a helicopter ride in an air ambulance. A little bit might be OK. If the right syndicate came along, for deer, boar and vermin I'd even have a go at that. I don't mind travelling for the right venue.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Shooting big things with horns or tusks.

Postby Keef » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:52 am

So ideally you want to be able to track a beast of some sort on a quad bike, take the shot from about 50 yards with a 45/70 over open sights, carve off a bit of meat, mount the horn or tusk on a bit of wood and pay £50.00?

:)

Like me it's the stalk that's going to hurt you (as well as the wallet). Maybe driven boar might be a better prospect?
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Shootist » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:13 am

Keef wrote:So ideally you want to be able to track a beast of some sort on a quad bike, take the shot from about 50 yards with a 45/70 over open sights, carve off a bit of meat, mount the horn or tusk on a bit of wood and pay £50.00?

I've got a scope on the 45/70. The last thing I'd want is bits of dead beast hanging off my wall. I don't even like spiders. A decent bit of meat would be nice.

Keef wrote:Like me it's the stalk that's going to hurt you (as well as the wallet). Maybe driven boar might be a better prospect?

It's hard enough tracking them when they're on foot. They'd be a bugger to shoot if they're being chauffeured around.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Ray7756 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:48 am

If you fancy a trip to Scotland have a word with Robbie he is very reasonable on price, and he even manages to get an old cripple like me on spot for a shot :shotgun:
Cheers
Ray
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Shootist » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:02 am

Ray7756 wrote:If you fancy a trip to Scotland have a word with Robbie he is very reasonable on price, and he even manages to get an old cripple like me on spot for a shot :shotgun:
Cheers
Ray

sounds good. What's his board name?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Ray7756 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:08 am

Shootist wrote:
Ray7756 wrote:If you fancy a trip to Scotland have a word with Robbie he is very reasonable on price, and he even manages to get an old cripple like me on spot for a shot :shotgun:
Cheers
Ray

sounds good. What's his board name?

hungryrob
Cheers
Ray
Ray7756
Hunter
Hunter

Postby libensvolenspotens » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:49 pm

Try having a look at www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk There is stalking offered and even the chance to join syndicates.
There is also wild boar on offer both in UK & Europe.

Cheers,
Dave
libensvolenspotens
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tommo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:00 pm

Cheers
Ray

+1 for Robbie.. :thumbs: :thup: :thumbs: And I would go as far as to say that, when I was out with Robbie last, Ray was also in the shooting bus.. so that makes TWO old cripples.. :die: :cheers: :die:

Got this little fella with Robbie..

100_0861.JPG
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby flintlok » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:18 pm

I believe that SidebySide is cheap as well as having horns and tusks. Coldfinger can direct you to his stomping grounds. ;) ;) ;)
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Coldfinger » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:15 pm

If you are very tight on the budget you could try these
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:39 am

Coldfinger wrote:If you are very tight on the budget you could try these

He'd miss.

(Sorry Steve, I couldn't resist the temptation)
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:07 am

With the 45/70 it could probably fit down the barrel. I'd get the bugger then!
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:58 am

Shootist wrote:With the 45/70 it could probably fit down the barrel. I'd get the bugger then!

If it was the bullet you showed me at the club last night it would fit inside the hollow point, let alone the barrel!
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to General Shooting Topics