divine

Green sleeves shooting club

Pretty much anything shooting related

Green sleeves shooting club

Postby Jubbles » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:27 pm

Hi all

I'd like to go and visit Green Sleeves shooting club which is near Stoke Orchard, Cheltenham.

I've used Google magic to try and get a functioning email address, website or phone number but none seem to exist. Those I find link me to things that are not accurate (the website was for the sale of a painting!).

Can anyone put me in contact with them?

This is the third club I have researched and desired to join that has been a nightmare to get any contact details for> I've no idea how we can survive as a sport with so many clubs being so hard to find. How can someone without knowing another shooter get into this when local clubs can be so hard to reach?!
Jubbles
Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: Green sleeves shooting club

Postby Coldfinger » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:02 pm

"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby TheSquire » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:45 pm

I have similar issues with other clubs. They seemingly survive on local contacts/ introductions or word of mouth th.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target.........
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." General John Sedgwick
TheSquire
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Jubbles » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:42 pm

I managed to get in contact with the club but eventually chose not to join as the club's joining requirements were very very onerous.
Jubbles
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby flintlok » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Jubbles wrote:I managed to get in contact with the club but eventually chose not to join as the club's joining requirements were very very onerous.

I don't know why some clubs are like that. You would think that they would want to promote shooting sports rather than pretending to be the last bastion of overbearing gun control by regulatory rule. I guess that they think that they are saving shooting sports while all the time discouraging them. There's not much hope for those folks.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Coldfinger » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:44 pm

Our club has a 6-month probation with attendances and participation required in .22rifle, underlever rifle, full bore rifle, black powder and shotgun.

The rationale is that you may want to join the club and only shoot .22LR, but then you get your certificate and can go out buy something in larger calibres to use on our range. Almost every Sunday we have a competition of some sort in the disciplines listed above. If you want to use a club where we offer these facilities then you get trained in how to use them rather than come down and feck up.

When you are accepted as a member you can stick to one or two activities if you wish,that's up to you.

Other clubs are available, some may sign your NRA Shooter Certification Card for any and all disciplines even if you have never tried them but that's not us.
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby LeighEnfield » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:18 pm

Hi Flintlock and some others yet to read this thread. Clubs survive because they are already at or near maximum capacity, indeed many (all those I am involved with) could survive on half their existing number. If there is one thing a club does not need, it is too many members, meaning a lack of range shooting time for all members. That is why it's by word of mouth and recommendation. It's the lack of shooting club/shooting ranges which are the problems. Not jamming more members into existing clubs already at capacity.
You can tell the people on here who don't get involved in the nuts and bolts running of their/a/any club(s) by their bleating comments. More clubs + more ranges = more members and additional capacity.
LeighEnfield

Postby plugg » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:06 pm

LeighEnfield wrote:Hi Flintlock and some others yet to read this thread. Clubs survive because they are already at or near maximum capacity, indeed many (all those I am involved with) could survive on half their existing number. If there is one thing a club does not need, it is too many members, meaning a lack of range shooting time for all members. That is why it's by word of mouth and recommendation. It's the lack of shooting club/shooting ranges which are the problems. Not jamming more members into existing clubs already at capacity.
You can tell the people on here who don't get involved in the nuts and bolts running of their/a/any club(s) by their bleating comments. More clubs + more ranges = more members and additional capacity.

Straight in there on the defensive and with a tone of authority!

If there is a problem with too many members, why are clubs/committees accepting new applicants and sanctioning membership and ultimately a certificate for the lawful possession of firearms?

Is it also not the case that new membership days are requested by the club and therefore I’d presume that members are actually wanted/needed?
I make the presumption that you are a committee member by your knowledge of the “nuts and bolts” running of a club?
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby LeighEnfield » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:28 pm

Plugg, it seems as you've misunderstood this thread somewhat. The clubs I know (and I can only speak of those) run membership numbers to their capacity (as I said previously) and not over it (as I also said previously) so the problem is (as I said previously) with too few clubs/too few ranges available to take up the remaining excess demand.
Guest days are most often utilised to permit existing members to bring along non-FAC family members to experience what goes on and also as a vehicle to put across a positive message to others e.g. local MPs, local groups e.g. WI etc. I don't know of any local club struggling for membership numbers; if there are can they please let me know on here and I can send some interested parties their way.
I can clarify more if it helps your understanding?
LeighEnfield

Postby libensvolenspotens » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:57 pm

Unfortunately there're so many legal hoops to jump through nowadays it is not simple to join a club.
Open days are restricted and we have to inform the police prior to the event of those attending.
This means that turning up on the day, which is the easiest way to see the club and ask questions is not permissible!
Our club has a 200m indoor range for all calibre up to .50BMG.
Muzzle loaders using pyrodex or 777 were welcome although the re-classification of 777 as an explosive might mean that muzzle loaders other than those using nitro will be a no-go. (That is dependent upon insurance)
Probationary membership is 3 months during which time the probationer will receive training and supervision.
The training is based upon the NRA probationary membership training, modified for our range, rather than Bisley.
At the end of the 3 months there is a written & practical test after which, if successful, they will become Full members.
They may then be awarded a safe shooter certificate which will should assist with obtaining an FAC.
We have lost members through the pandemic but are seeing a resurgence of interest.
Potential members must have an interview prior to joining in an attempt to ensure suitability and FAC holders must also attend an induction course.
The website is down at the moment but anyone interested may PM me for details.
The Range is in a railway tunnel located at Barry Island in South Wales.
Cheers
Dave
libensvolenspotens
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to General Shooting Topics