divine

Rifle safes

Pretty much anything shooting related

Rifle safes

Postby Les1066 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:22 pm

I've recently managed to get a few extra slots on my FAC, and I've been thinking about changing my current arrangement of two gun safes for a single 9 or 10 gun safe.

I think we're all familiar with the "It holds X amount of scoped rifles" adverts where in reality you're lucky to get half the amount in without damaging something. Can anybody recommend a large gun safe that really holds scoped rifles comfortably, preferably side by side? (no, I don't want to put him in there! :shock: )
Les1066
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Rifle safes

Postby Tommo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:42 am

I too have two safes. When I 'downsize' to one safe it's going to be one of these...

https://youtu.be/Ee62ix2vFu4

LOKAWAY Not exactly the cheapest around but certainly well made and good value. I saw them at the Northern Shooting Show this year and was impressed. :thumbs:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby Deallad » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:48 pm

Hi Les,

I had a similar problem, I had 2 nine gun safes that at best could be described as lever gun safes, or fit for shotguns not deep enough, even though sold as deep enough for a scoped rifle

Every time I took a gun from the cabinet another gun took a hit, I decided this had to stop so went big.

While at the shooting show last year I saw a stand by an Australian company called Lokaway, they produce big safes with an internal top box capable of holding large quantities of ammo. Currently holding 500 rounds of 223 300 rounds of 300win mag 200 rounds of 45/70 and an odd box of 308

The next good thing is they do not have to be bolted down, with a weight of 175KG un loaded or just over a 1/4 ton with guns and ammo.

Build quality is good Racking fully adjustable so you set it as deep as you need, It is also approved by Kent police as holding 30 shotguns or 20 rifles

http://www.lokawayuk.com/ls1/

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Les1066 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:40 pm

Deallad wrote:Hi Les,
The next good thing is they do not have to be bolted down, with a weight of 175KG un loaded or just over a 1/4 ton with guns and ammo.
Mike

I have seen those at the gun show too, and I was very impressed. My biggest problem is that I would have to get it up a short flight of stairs, and I think they'd just end up peeling me off the floor, packing me into the safe and using it as my coffin! :worried: :lol:

I'll find a solution eventually. Perhaps I just need a raw meat diet and a gym subscription! :hmm:
Les1066
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Deallad » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:48 pm

Hire shops rent a good stair lifter

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Les1066 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:27 am

Deallad wrote:Hire shops rent a good stair lifter
Mike

Thanks, Mike. I've just done a 'Google' for powered stair lifters/climbers. I didn't even know they existed. It's true .... every day is a school day! ;) :thumbs:
Les1066
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mathspete » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:44 pm

Thanks for the info on that firm I'd never heard of them before. I'm awaiting the visit from the FEO for my renewal when I am going to ask him whether he'd prefer me to get a third safe or just sell my current safes and go for something like one of those monsters? I suppose it could be argued that three separate safes is more deterrent than one? I'll just have to wait and see what he says. I got my renewal letter over 4 months before expiry of my current one, with a request to turn it round and have it back to them in under a fortnight, this took me rather by surprise and it took me nearly a month to get everything signed and organised and back to them. So I'm waiting to see how this affects the renewal process, they've still got over 3 months to sort everything, or will I need to get an emergency cover or get everything out and down to my local RFD including all the 1000's of rounds of ammo. Ho hum, I'll keep people informed about the progress of the infamous and much criticised South Yorks Police.
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Deallad » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:56 pm

This is it full of guns

Don't know why it rotates the photo
Attachments
safe2.JPG
safe2.JPG (34.57 KiB) Viewed 10126 times
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:41 pm

Les1066 wrote: holds side by side? (no, I don't want to put him in there! :shock: )

I assure you Les if it doesn't hold a scoped rifle it certainly wont hold me :cry: :cry:
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:47 pm

Deallad wrote:
The next good thing is they do not have to be bolted down,.

I would be very doubtful on that one , a friend of mine had a safe in his house that weighed in excess of three quarters of a ton , the police said it still had to be bolted down and that was just for shotgun use .
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Hornet 6 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:53 am

Sidebyside wrote:
Deallad wrote:
The next good thing is they do not have to be bolted down,.

I would be very doubtful on that one , a friend of mine had a safe in his house that weighed in excess of three quarters of a ton , the police said it still had to be bolted down and that was just for shotgun use .

Same here, 1992 I moved house and acquired a really nice safe, weighted in at over 900 kilo, and police insisted it was bolted down, again this was for shotguns only at that time.

Neil. :)
Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby gonzo » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:50 am

I have a BrattonSound extra deep 9gun safe. And I expect it would take 7 scoped guns, as long as the scopes are not too wide.
I have a mix of wide and narrow scoped and iron sight guns. With a custom foam divider, I can get 7 guns in abreast. The non scoped guns can also go closer to the back wall, leaving me space to get extra guns in front of them. I also found that inside the door was mostly fresh, so I cut back the door covering plate (just a thin steel cover over the lock mech) and made a space for an extra non-scoped gun, in the door.
The police FEO looked at it and put the basic cab down as good for 11 guns, even before the mods.

I also buy up cheepo (3gun) safes as people upgrade. I have a backup/overflow store elsewhere in the building, and each time another safe appears, I just add one more to the queue. Fine for the guns that only come out of special occasions and keep the regular ones in the more easily accessible one.
My local police were very happy with that, as it spreads the guns and multiplies the amount of effort required for others to get access to them.

As a general observation...
In my experience, the top locking ammo boxes are far too small to be useful. Just get the full height safe (it saves having to take moderators off to get longer rifles in there) and have a separate safe for ammo/bolts etc.
Cheap safes are available from the high street chains, but avoid the electronic key pad ones. They really are not secure. the keyed versions are fine.

Someone mentioned asking the FEO for safe advice, when they visited? You will almost certainly find that the police will only give you permission for the guns that you have safe space for, at the time of your visit. So if you leave it till your FEO visit to ask advice, you may have missed the boat. And they will probably want to visit to inspect your new/additional safe once it is installed, so you will be waiting for another visit. So getting this sorted before the visit is to be advised.
gonzo
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Les1066 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:17 pm

Thank you to everybody for your ideas and suggestions - they have certainly given me a brain fritz, but in a good way! ;) :thumbs:
Les1066
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Les1066 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:21 pm

gonzo wrote:Someone mentioned asking the FEO for safe advice, when they visited? You will almost certainly find that the police will only give you permission for the guns that you have safe space for, at the time of your visit. So if you leave it till your FEO visit to ask advice, you may have missed the boat. And they will probably want to visit to inspect your new/additional safe once it is installed, so you will be waiting for another visit. So getting this sorted before the visit is to be advised.

Gonzo, like probably everybody else, I started off with a 6 gun (etc etc) safe, and quickly realised that it wasn't going to be big enough, so I bought an additional 7 gun safe. I emailed the FEO to tell them about the new safe, but I didn't hear any more from them so I assume they'll just check it at the next renewal. ;)
Les1066
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby gonzo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:21 am

Locally (Dorset), the FEO wants to see enough safe space to store what you are applying for.
I agree you can have multiple safes and change later. But I the way I read the posting, it was not clear if the person already had the storage or was waiting for the renewal visit before buying an extra/replacement safe.
Just making sure they were aware of the requirements (I assume most forces require similar) rather than them miss the boat on getting whatever they are asking for this time.

Here they do make visits to reinspect when people have moved. Visiting to inspect every change may be pushing it for us, as they are not well staffed. Whatever they may advise/request.
gonzo
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Next

Return to General Shooting Topics