divine

My new Ruger 308 with X24 scope needs Zeroing

Pretty much anything shooting related

My new Ruger 308 with X24 scope needs Zeroing

Postby Longshanx » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:02 pm

Hi Fellas,
Just purchased a 308 Ruger American with x24 viper scope, haven’t had a chance to zero this bad boy in yet.
I was wondering when I get a chance to get it zeroed on the outdoor ranges ( hopefully soon if I join Tees valley )
Will the other guys on the range be in a rush to get to the 600m mark as I’m sure they will all have zeroed there rifles?
Or would they be patient and allow me to get zeroed, within reason?
It’s a bit of an out there sort of question but just thought I’d ask.
I’m sure most of you guys are frequent visitors to the military ranges?
I will be popping in to see coldfinger tomorrow to have a look round his club and will be asking the question when we have a natter.
I was just wondering what your thoughts are when it comes to waiting on other shooters zeroing in.
In regards to shooting safety, until you are ready to fire, "Keep your booger hook off the bang switch."
Longshanx
Musketeer
Musketeer

Re: My new Ruger 308 with X24 scope needs Zeroing

Postby Graham M » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:40 pm

You will never zero a rifle in a 600yds; the margin of error is far too great for you to even see where the shot is landing (could be 20ft either side of the target and 20ft low/high).:Facepalm:

You really need to start off at 50yds and get the rifle shooting @ 1/2" low but in line. Once that is established then 100yds with a nice big witness board. Then if you do have to move up to 600yds I think (and don't quote me on this because I haven't shot 600yds for years) that you have to wind up @ 24 minutes. Scorers in the butts should be able to tell you if you are low because you can normally hear the impact in front of the butts. From there it is just a case of walking them in providing you have someone who can spot the impact on the backstop for you.

G
Never argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Graham M
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Longshanx » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:32 pm

Graham M wrote:You will never zero a rifle in a 600yds; the margin of error is far too great for you to even see where the shot is landing (could be 20ft either side of the target and 20ft low/high).:Facepalm:

You really need to start off at 50yds and get the rifle shooting @ 1/2" low but in line. Once that is established then 100yds with a nice big witness board. Then if you do have to move up to 600yds I think (and don't quote me on this because I haven't shot 600yds for years) that you have to wind up @ 24 minutes. Scorers in the butts should be able to tell you if you are low because you can normally hear the impact in front of the butts. From there it is just a case of walking them in providing you have someone who can spot the impact on the backstop for you.

G

Thanks G

Not been on the military range since I was 18, I think I remember zeroing at around the 100 mark.
The guys in the butts use to use there pointers to show where you were hitting. I remember the days in the Butts when you use to get covered in crap when someone was shooting low lol, also the sound of ricocheting bullets haha!
I’m just hoping the other guys have a bit of patience while I zero, otherwise I’ll not hit a thing when we start moving back :Facepalm:
I use to love the military range, I was quite lucky to have fired a number of different stuff including a Bren gun, 303 Lee Enfield, SA80 and SLR.
In regards to shooting safety, until you are ready to fire, "Keep your booger hook off the bang switch."
Longshanx
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby Graham M » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:23 am

SA80 was before my time but I do remember the SLR very well, although it was back in the 70s. 7 major parts to take apart if I remember correctly. :shotgun:

G
Never argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Graham M
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Deallad » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:25 pm

The quick way to zero a 308 at 600 yards is to boresight, look through the barrel at the target put the cross hairs on the centre then come up 13 moa

you should be on the card

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:06 pm

I usually zero my gun in close starting at 25 yards just to get them on paper. Once centered, I move the target to 100 yards and set my zero. Most of my shooting is done on a 200 yard range and lots of time I set my 100 yard zero too two and a have inches high. That will put me on center or near to center at 200 yards and will require a 9 to 11 inch hold over at 300 yards. I'm I live in the US in New England which is heavily forested. Hunting shots at typically fired at 50 yards and often less. The hunting is quick as sometimes it's a fleeting target easily lost in the brush. Most states in my area limit hunting season to shotguns and most hunters use slugs. In northern New England where high powered rifles are allowed the guns are light and very handy such as lever guns. Loads of guys use lever guns up north and it was once the standard. That not the case so much anymore. The now pretty much use anything that shoots.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Longshanx » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:05 pm

Thanks Fellas
Longshanx
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby Graham M » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:10 pm

Deallad wrote:The quick way to zero a 308 at 600 yards is to boresight, look through the barrel at the target put the cross hairs on the centre then come up 13 moa

you should be on the card

Mike

That sounds a little out. I remember coming up @ 11-12 MOA from 200yds to 500yds and then @ another 6 or 7 from 500 yds to 600 yds.
That was with a 158grn bullet and aperture sights. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly. :hmm:

G
Graham M
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Deallad » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:06 pm

Bullet drop of a 308 at 600 yards =93 inches (using jbm ballistics figures)

so if you boresight then adjust by 13moa +13moa = 78inches taking the target backer as 6 foot you will be on the card

There will be some final adjustment needed for the V-bull

Used this method last 3 weeks ago at bisley on Century range

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Coldfinger » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:28 pm

Longshanx wrote: I will be popping in to see coldfinger tomorrow to have a look round his club and will be asking the question when we have a natter.

Well, that's one thing you forgot to ask about :die:
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Longshanx » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:03 am

Coldfinger wrote:
Longshanx wrote: I will be popping in to see coldfinger tomorrow to have a look round his club and will be asking the question when we have a natter.

Well, that's one thing you forgot to ask about :die:

Yeah lol, got talking about so much other stuff instead :grin:
Longshanx
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby Longshanx » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks for all the info fellas,
just need to get it out for a test run and put it all into practice.

Cheers Glenn
Longshanx
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby Coldfinger » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:49 pm

You can use a collimator to scope your rifle at up to 30 metres on our indoor range then at a full bore shoot adjust your zero at 100 yards.
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Longshanx » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:39 am

Coldfinger wrote:You can use a collimator to scope your rifle at up to 30 metres on our indoor range then at a full bore shoot adjust your zero at 100 yards.

Great stuff.
I’ll be coming back over soon to have another chat regarding membership CF.
Already got my forms filled, just need to have a chat with the lads this weekend. :niceone: :thup:
Longshanx
Musketeer
Musketeer

Return to General Shooting Topics