divine

North East Arms Straight Pull AR-15

Pretty much anything shooting related

North East Arms Straight Pull AR-15

Postby Jubbles » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:50 am

Hi all

I am looking into picking up a NEA AR-15, specifically the DMR variant with it's 18 inch barrel in 5.56.

I was wondering if anyone here could post their experiences with said firearms and the retailer Surrey Armouries.

I'm hoping to understand what accuracy to expect, ease of maontenace and duravility.
Jubbles
Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: North East Arms Straight Pull AR-15

Postby flintlok » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:51 pm

I shoot regular AR 15's and do shoot with fellows who own AR's that at bolt action rifles. With a stock AR 15 at 100 yards I tend to get 2 to 3 inch groups with average 55 grain ammo. They easily out shoot my AK's. Even with my AK chambered barreled in 7.62X39 AR's I get 3 to 4 inch groups with Wolf military ball with easily out performs the same ammo in my AK's. What I am saying is that the guns can shoot straight out of the box. With free floated match barrels your looking at minute of angle groups or less with a good and ammo. Once you remove the gas operations things tighten up even further. It then comes down to the ammo you use. I tend to use blasting away ammo and I'm happy to group with iron sights with a stock (more or less) AR. My favorite pastime is to shoot off hand, bondage fee, at a 16 inch steel disc at 200 yard with iron sights. I love "ringing" the bell when the round hits square on. The disc typically isn't painted and can be difficult to see so it's a personal challenge for me. With the 68 grain Sierra's match loads it in my completion rifle with match barrel and match iron sights I can get 2 1/2 inches from the bench if I'm careful do my part. That's about my personal best. The guys with the scoped bolt action AR's do better than I do. The AR 15 is the hands down most popular rifle in the US. I swear every who shoots owns one or wishes that they did. There's good reason for it as they are accurate and highly modular. You can build any style of rifle you want from that platform from a top shelf match rifle to a 22 rim fire for something to blast away with.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Haggis » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:45 pm

I wouldn't NEA are not a quality manufacturer.
Haggis
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Jubbles » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:06 pm

Haggis wrote:I wouldn't NEA are not a quality manufacturer.

Have you got anything substantive to back that up? Or any actual details?
Jubbles
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Jubbles » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:08 pm

flintlok wrote:I shoot regular AR 15's and do shoot with fellows who own AR's that at bolt action rifles. With a stock AR 15 at 100 yards I tend to get 2 to 3 inch groups with average 55 grain ammo. They easily out shoot my AK's. Even with my AK chambered barreled in 7.62X39 AR's I get 3 to 4 inch groups with Wolf military ball with easily out performs the same ammo in my AK's. What I am saying is that the guns can shoot straight out of the box. With free floated match barrels your looking at minute of angle groups or less with a good and ammo. Once you remove the gas operations things tighten up even further. It then comes down to the ammo you use. I tend to use blasting away ammo and I'm happy to group with iron sights with a stock (more or less) AR. My favorite pastime is to shoot off hand, bondage fee, at a 16 inch steel disc at 200 yard with iron sights. I love "ringing" the bell when the round hits square on. The disc typically isn't painted and can be difficult to see so it's a personal challenge for me. With the 68 grain Sierra's match loads it in my completion rifle with match barrel and match iron sights I can get 2 1/2 inches from the bench if I'm careful do my part. That's about my personal best. The guys with the scoped bolt action AR's do better than I do. The AR 15 is the hands down most popular rifle in the US. I swear every who shoots owns one or wishes that they did. There's good reason for it as they are accurate and highly modular. You can build any style of rifle you want from that platform from a top shelf match rifle to a 22 rim fire for something to blast away with.

Hi and thank you for your post but I was wondering you would perhaps be able to comment specifically on NEA rifles rather than AR-15s as a whole?
Jubbles
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Haggis » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:30 pm

Jubbles wrote:
Haggis wrote:I wouldn't NEA are not a quality manufacturer.

Have you got anything substantive to back that up? Or any actual details?

I was going to buy one, but the low quality of the receiver set, mismatched anodizing and reports of lackluster accuracy from their supposed DMR barrel.
The supplier I visited, not the one in your OP, soon after decided to stop selling them.
Haggis
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Jubbles » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:59 am

Oh dear that is a shame, I seem to be hearing conflicting reports about the rifle
Jubbles
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Haggis » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:08 am

What's the price on the NEA nowadays?
Haggis
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Jubbles » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:35 am

Haggis wrote:What's the price on the NEA nowadays?

£1600 for the DMR
Jubbles
Rifleman
Rifleman

Return to General Shooting Topics