divine

Newbie here - FAC question

Pretty much anything shooting related

Newbie here - FAC question

Postby Douggy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:00 pm

Hi all

I'm very interested in shooting, and have been for a good long while. However, I've never even considered joining a shooting club as I'm fairly certain that some foolishness in my youth would stop me ever getting a FAC, or even a shotgun licence.

Thing is, I really want to take the plunge. There are a few shooting clubs near me, but before I go along and try anything out I just want to make sure I'm not wasting everybody's time. No point starting if I'll never get licenced!

I'm in my 40's now, but I served 6 weeks of a 12 week sentence at a YOI aged 15 or 16. My last conviction was as an 18 year old, and it was a caution. Nothing violent, nothing related to any sort of firearms offence. I've always thought that this would automatically prevent me from obtaining a FAC, can anyone here please advise?

To recap: Idiot youth, responsible adult for over 20 years. Have I blown my chance for good?

Thanks all!
Douggy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Newbie here - FAC question

Postby Haggis » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:27 am

Join a club and they'll check for you. Just be honest on any applications and you should be fine.
Haggis
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:12 am

Imo you could possibly be ok,but you'll never know if you don't apply.
If you fail it won't cost you anything.
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:17 am

As has been said, one thing certain to bar you forever from having a firearms licence is to not apply for one. Join a club, you'll have to do a six month probationary period before you become a full member, which will be 'good reason' to own a firearm. Your incarceration means you will have been prohibited from possessing firearms for five years, IIRC, but that is now long gone, and by definition means you are at least eligible to apply. You might need some pretty good referees but you will probably get there. Whatever else, declare every wrongdoing in as much detail as you can. Many offences are acceptable from a long time back but failing to declare them is an indication to the police that you are seeking to deceive which is very likely to end in refusal.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Douggy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:58 am

Thanks all. I'm going to contact my local club asap and arrange a visit. I've only ever shot an air rifle before, and that's a badly stored and maintained old thing that will still hit a bottle cap at the end of the garden.

I'll absolutely declare everything, I have no intention of deceiving anyone and it's not like the police won't have access to my record anyway.

I'm really looking forward to shooting a real firearm. Exciting times!
Douggy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:27 am

As stated , honesty is foremost ,I do believe from what you have posted your chances are good, as Shootist posted , try and find a really good referee . :thup:
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Douggy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:24 pm

Right, I've had a chat with the Club Secretary and he's confirmed I'm legally able to come down and use their rifles and ammunition. They shoot Tuesdays, so tomorrow will be my first time shooting a real firearm!

Thanks for giving me the confidence to get started!

I'm now also looking for a local place where I can try out a shotgun. Google says there are a few decent-looking clay grounds nearby so that's next on the agenda.

So much to look forward to!
Douggy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby hungryrob » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:46 pm

Douggy wrote:Right, I've had a chat with the Club Secretary and he's confirmed I'm legally able to come down and use their rifles and ammunition. They shoot Tuesdays, so tomorrow will be my first time shooting a real firearm!

Thanks for giving me the confidence to get started!

I'm now also looking for a local place where I can try out a shotgun. Google says there are a few decent-looking clay grounds nearby so that's next on the agenda.

So much to look forward to!

Get your location up? You might find some of the local chaps here willing to take you out sometime.

Robbie
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby Douggy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:00 pm

Good point, I've listed it now.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow!
Douggy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Stavross » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:34 pm

Good luck, a little bit of advice that was given to me by a FAO before I applied was go for the SGC before you go for the FAC this worked for me and when I was a younger lad I was an absolute TW*T, be completely honest with them tell them your complete police history ( even though they already know it ) also finding a few mates that do what you want to do can help a lot, clay grounds are good for this, get to meet new people, maybe have a few lessons and there's always a chance you might get an invite to go beating on a game shoot, a young friend of mine has just applied for his SGC and FAC at the same time, he was granted the SGC but turned down for the FAC the reason given was lack of firearms experience, the FAO said off the record he could reapply anytime he wants, but if it is granted in the next two years it's likely to come with restrictions he also said joining a club will help and if you know someone who has a FAC that is willing to mentor you and show you the ropes even better :thup:
Stavross
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Douggy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:21 pm

Thanks Stavross, I'll bear that all in mind. The club I'm joining is Home Office Approved and they help with applying for your FAC after the 6 month probationary period. I'm also going to book in to a clay ground to try shotguns.
Douggy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Stavross » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:08 pm

Good luck with it mate, you might as well have it all
Stavross
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Longshanx » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:18 pm

As long as your are completely honest when filling in your forms you should be ok.
I think we’ve all done some stupid things when we were younger, I had a load of cautions up until I was about 20, put everything down where asked.
I even filled in another sheet and just said “ these dates are approximate as these were from over 20+ years ago so could you please take this into consideration”.( along those lines anyway)
I joined a club and and once my probation was up I applied straight away, had no issues even with a few cautions on file.
Honesty is key.

Good luck on your cert, hope your successful and get it.
In regards to shooting safety, until you are ready to fire, "Keep your booger hook off the bang switch."
Longshanx
Musketeer
Musketeer

Return to General Shooting Topics