divine

Iver Johnso rifle

Pretty much anything shooting related

Iver Johnso rifle

Postby Tomdhu » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:51 pm

Back in the 1950's I used to use my dad's Iver Johnson .22 rifle. It must have been the cheapest thing going and was decidedly dangerous as it had an over-centre safefy catch on the bolt. On knoch on the bolt and the safety came off and the round went off.
Did anyone else ever come across an Iver Johnson?

https://trapbarn.com
Tomdhu

Re: Iver Johnso rifle

Postby flintlok » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:10 am

Iver Johnson Company was located in Fitchburg, Massachusetts. It's the neighboring town next to my home town. I tried getting a job at the factory in the late 1960's. They wanted nothing to do with me. The company was known for very low end guns and near junk revolvers. In the 1950's the major manufactuer's made a plethora of inexpensive single shot "boy's" rifles. They are interesting to collect. The guns were all cheaply made and seemed to have fatal flaws but were surprisingly accurate. The safety features back then would never "fly" now due to product liability laws. I would have never considered buying one of those low end guns in the past but of late I picked up several of them. I just bought a 1950's Winchester Model 67 single shot. I missed an opportunity to pick a Remington Model 510 22rf single shot. The all seem to feature nice black walnut stocks. The Iver Johnson version is worth several hundred dollars on the collector's market. Strangely these thing become worth real money as sufficient time passes.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Iver Johnso rifle

Postby Eianz » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:32 pm

Love those old Iver Johnson but as i see it they don't evolve much with safety....
Eianz

Return to General Shooting Topics