divine

Shooting the 'Real Deal' pistols..

Pretty much anything shooting related

Shooting the 'Real Deal' pistols..

Postby Tommo » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:13 pm

Hi guys... not been around for some time, the leukaemia's well gone but the malady lingers on (oh what a paraphrase that is..!!).

You're probably well aware that the Revd Mrs Tommo and I moved to my homeland, the Isle of Man, in January this year. "Oh goody", thought I, "I can get back to shooting pistols"... well, yes and no..!! I have joined a local club and, as is their wont, I am one visit away from completing my mandatory 12 visits as a probationary member.

Now if everything goes according to plan ( ok, naysayers and doom and gloom merchants can leave the room ), which they will, I'll be getting my first pistol in January. It's going to be a Ruger SP1911 in 9mm. What I'm interested in finding out (coz no-one here seems to know) is can I, legally, buy stuff like extra magazines from either Europe or the USA?

The dealer here informs me he can get me the pistol no problem, but ANY aftermarket additions he will not supply..!!!

Here's the specs... https://ruger.com/products/sr1911Comman ... /6722.html

Ruger 1911.jpg
Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander, 9mm Luger. Full size frame, 4,25" barrel, 29.3 oz, 6 grooves, 1:10 RH twist.
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Re: Shooting the 'Real Deal' pistols..

Postby flintlok » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:05 am

Hi Tommo, The Regulations that cover the export of gun parts from the US that you are interested importing follows

§ 123.17 Exports of firearms, ammunition, and personal protective gear.

(a) Port Directors of U.S. Customs and Border Protection shall permit the export without a license of:
(1) Parts and components for USML Category I(a) firearms, except barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames), or complete breech mechanisms, when the total value does not exceed $100 wholesale in any transaction, except to any of the countries or entities as provided in § 126.1 of this subchapter;

(2) Parts, components, accessories, or attachments for USML Category I firearms, except barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames), complete breech mechanisms, or fully automatic firearms and parts and components for such firearms, when:
(i) The total value does not exceed $500 wholesale in any transaction;
(ii) The export is to Canada for end-use in Canada or return to the United States, or temporary import into the United States of Canadian-origin items and return to Canada for a Canadian citizen; and
(iii) The exporter makes an electronic declaration to U.S. Customs and Border Protection pursuant to § 123.22(a), and the exporter is eligible to export under this exemption pursuant to § 120.1(c) of this subchapter, unless the electronic submission of such declaration is unavailable, in which case U.S. Customs and Border Protection will issue instructions; or
(3) Parts, components, accessories, or attachments for USML Category I firearms, including fully automatic firearms and parts and components for such firearms, when:
(i) The total value does not exceed $500 wholesale in any transaction;
(ii) The export is to Canada for end-use by the Canadian Federal Government, a Canadian Provincial Government, or a Canadian Municipal Government; and
(iii) The exporter makes an electronic declaration to U.S. Customs and Border Protection pursuant to § 123.22(a), and the exporter is eligible to export under this exemption pursuant to § 120.1(c) of this subchapter, unless the electronic submission of such declaration is unavailable, in which case U.S. Customs and Border Protection will issue instructions.
(b) Port Directors of U.S. Customs and Border Protection shall permit the export without a license of nonautomatic firearms covered by Category I(a) of § 121.1 of this subchapter if they were manufactured in or before 1898, or are replicas of such firearms.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:14 am

I believe that there is a 10 round limit on the magazines if memory serves me well. There is an export service from the US who can file arrange the export exemption filing for US Customs called "Bordeview International Firearms Logistics" www.borderview.com who charge $79 for their service. They mostly do US to Canada exports but they will do international. I believe that Brownells exports but I could be wrong.

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:20 am

Nice pistol. I was in a gun store today. It's all gotten to be all so expensive. I saw a Colt Gold Cup Series 70 1911 for $1900. I think that I paid $465 for for my Series 80 Gold Cup in 1983. It's tough when the cost of a Gold Cup approaches the same figure of the current year. Still, I've shot loads of pistols and the 1911 has always been my favorite semi auto. Nice move to the Isle of Man and enjoy your new found treasure. :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:15 am

From Gun Parts export page below. The Gun Parts Corp will not ship small parts overseas as they find the regulatory expense and hassle not worth the effort.
So the short answer is yes you should be able to buy 1911 magazines from the US as long as the cost is under $100 and you use an exporter who knows how to file an exemption request. I would start with Brownells. They have great customer service.

GOVERNMENT RESTRICTIONS
The United States Government has export restrictions in place for items such as barrels, barrel blanks, cylinders, receivers, frames, bolts, high capacity magazines (over 10 rounds), shotgun magazines, shotgun magazine extension tubes, shotgun complete trigger mechanisms, scopes etc.

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Haggis » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:26 pm

Good to hear from you Tommo! :niceone:

Is that pistol a single stack mag?
Haggis
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Coldfinger » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:41 pm

Have you spoken to Dom (1in9) at http://riflemags.co.uk ?

Sure it's not a rifle but he may have an idea.
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tommo » Thu May 09, 2019 2:01 am

Update...

Six months on from my original post...

P2.jpg

1911B.jpg

I now have two Wilson Combat 10 round mags and the two Ruger 9 round mags that came with the pistol. This pistol is a pussycat to shoot. Very easy recoil and hardly any muzzle flip. Very accurate when I do my bit. Swapped out the grips for some MagPul grips with the indent, allowing faster access to the mag release (which on this is oversize anyway) which enables faster reloads. One more 'addition' will be a fibre optic front sight. Well happy with this.. :thumbs: :thumbs:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby Matt H » Thu May 09, 2019 9:04 pm

Seriously envious.

Then again it is someone else to talk to at the range when I next make it over. Which club are you at? I have shot on the range on the mountain road (Peveril) a few times over the last decade or so. (Far too infrequently for my liking)
Matt H
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Tommo » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:19 pm

Update to my previous update...

Though I liked the Magpul grips I really had a hankering for wood. So I got these...

1911DD1.JPG

1911DD2.JPG

Oh and this.. last Wednesday. Taurus 669, .357Mag, 6" barrel, Target model.

P1060422.JPG

P1060423.JPG

Matt.. give me a shout if you're coming over. I am a member at Peveril. It would be good to meet up.. :thumbs:

Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to General Shooting Topics