divine

You just can't help some farmers.

Pretty much anything shooting related

You just can't help some farmers.

Postby mathspete » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:04 pm

I got a call over the weekend from a new permission saying the woodies were bashing some flattened barley. I went to the said field this morning and found several small (5 yard) patches of flattened barley along the edge of the field just 5 to 10 yards from the wood that runs along the field boundary. I set up some decoys etc and got tucked in to a hide (the wood is out of bounds) Over the whole morning I got 3 corvids and 1 pigeon as they all flew into and sat in the trees. I was trying to get them to come in to within a few yards of my hide, very hard. I packed up and went to the farm. On the way I called to check on a small barley field I had earmarked as promising as it was surrounded by excellent cover. To my horror it had already been cut and was covered in woodies, at least 200. I had asked to be told when he was going to harvest. When I got to the farm I reported the mornings work and asked when he had cut the other field. He said he'd done it over the weekend and to my horror he was hitching up the plough to his tractor and he was just on his way to plough it :shock: So I had wasted my morning when I could have been on a red letter day of possibly over 100 pigeons, all because he didn't tell me he was cutting certain fields despite me asking him to inform me. He was more concerned about a few birds on his standing crops than the 100s on his harvested fields, but the 100s will soon be on the other fields when I'm not there to shoot them :Facepalm:
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter