divine

Looking for Binoculars-Overwhelmed with options.

Pretty much anything shooting related

Looking for Binoculars-Overwhelmed with options.

Postby ErikHimmel » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:23 pm

Reposting since I think my first may have been accidentally deleted.

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a pair of binoculars. I gave my now ex-wife a pair of Vortex Talons 8x42 for her birthday a few years ago. They were the first 'real' binoculars I've experienced and having used those I can't really go back to something super cheap. But I'm in the dreaded world of over-internet-analyzing and I'm hoping you folks might be able to help.

I'm not a frequent use of binoculars. I bet these will get used less than 10 times a year. And I don't really hunt much anymore (although if I found a local hunting buddy I would). I know this is super broad but I'm really looking for a good pair for 'general use'. They'll come along to scenic areas. I've taken a pair on a trip to the coast and can't imagine going back without them. Maybe hiking on occasion. I also live on a hillside in the city so the occasional..."what's that smoke coming from" viewing. Of course most of the interesting viewing happens early and late so low light performance is still important.

I'm a very value sensitive person. Not afraid to spend a bit of money but I want to get a lot of bang for my buck. Which leaves me here. I'm trying to decide what my budget is/should be. I know with optics you generally get what you pay for, but I'm not sure what my target $ should be. Keep in mind, I've only ever used those Talon HD 8x42's.

So, first question. Am I giving up a lot by going to an 8x32 over an 8x42? I've done my Googling homework and it sounds like not really, but I would really like to hear from some real world users. The smaller size is very appealing.

Second, if you were me (based on the limited info I've given you of course) what would you buy (and 8x32 or 8x42 or something else)?
Mavic C1 ~$325
GPO ED line ~$400
Meopta Meopros? ~$500
Zeiss Conquest? ~$1000 (I'd be buying these used and I can't imagine going over $1,000 given my infrequent usage).
Swarovski? Oofa. I mean...I see Doug has an open box model for around $1500 but wow, that's a price tag that's hard to swallow. Best of the best for sure but they have models that are more expensive than my first car.

Anyway, that's a lot of rambling. Thanks in advance for any info you guys might have. I've been reading around this forum a lot and it seems like a pretty well informed group. Looking forward to your opinions.
ErikHimmel

Return to General Shooting Topics