divine

Foxes , What is the law on shooting fox ?

Pretty much anything shooting related

Re: Foxes , What is the law on shooting fox ?

Postby Trex » Mon May 18, 2009 9:28 pm

Understood Kev and Happy Birthday to You!!! Old Git :lol:
Trex
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Keef » Mon May 18, 2009 9:32 pm

I edited out some parts before I got to your post Robbie! :oops:
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Judge Ali » Mon May 18, 2009 9:32 pm

well said kev although it has made interesting reading!

can i bring it back to the original issue? does anyone else have any input on the law on shooting foxes? i ask because i am interested myself if there is anything else i am unaware of

cheers
alex
Judge Ali
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby plugg » Mon May 18, 2009 9:33 pm

Thank you Keith :thup:

Phil
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Born Again » Mon May 18, 2009 9:43 pm

This isn't in the Ethics section, but I have to ask, is it humane to shoot at animals 1000yds away ? As an airgun hunter I obviously shoot 45yds max, when the 1 in 10 happens and quarry drops but kicks about I run over to it and stamp on its head or wring its neck. Despite my unfit state I can be there in seconds. What do you do if you wound quarry 1000 yds away ?

I've seen shotgun shooters on here that claim that shooting without a dog is inhumane, I don't agree with that one as the shotgun range is limited and you can get there and neck a pigeon, but a 1000yd shot is different.
Born Again
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby plugg » Mon May 18, 2009 9:46 pm

Alex Gibbs wrote:well said kev although it has made interesting reading!

can i bring it back to the original issue? does anyone else have any input on the law on shooting foxes? i ask because i am interested myself if there is anything else i am unaware of

cheers
alex

Having a quick read through Alex I think everything has been covered, at least there is nothing extra than what has already been said that I could add to be constructive.

Phil
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby plugg » Mon May 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Born Again wrote:This isn't in the Ethics section, but I have to ask, is it humane to shoot at animals 1000yds away ? As an airgun hunter I obviously shoot 45yds max, when the 1 in 10 happens and quarry drops but kicks about I run over to it and stamp on its head or wring its neck. Despite my unfit state I can be there in seconds. What do you do if you wound quarry 1000 yds away ?

I've seen shotgun shooters on here that claim that shooting without a dog is inhumane, I don't agree with that one as the shotgun range is limited and you can get there and neck a pigeon, but a 1000yd shot is different.

I would have said no, even shooting in/from a vehicle. At normal roadspeed of 60 mph it takes around 4 secs to cover 100 m times that by 10 and add in cross country, maybe 20 mph max thats a long time for a fox or bunny to be potentially lying suffering.

Phil
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Trex » Mon May 18, 2009 9:59 pm

Born Again wrote:This isn't in the Ethics section, but I have to ask, is it humane to shoot at animals 1000yds away ? As an airgun hunter I obviously shoot 45yds max, when the 1 in 10 happens and quarry drops but kicks about I run over to it and stamp on its head or wring its neck. Despite my unfit state I can be there in seconds. What do you do if you wound quarry 1000 yds away ?

I don't know that the original poster of the 1000yrd shot was entirely meaning an "animal". Maybe - maybe not? I think a lot of it comes down to using the appropriate tool for the job and having the skill to use if professionaly.

I am interested in trying wildfowling (the legal aspects are of particular interest) shooting on the foreshore without a dog could easily be inhumane, unless you were very careful in picking your shots. Far better to shoot with a dog owning partner.

It is too easy to forget that to some people humane or inhumane is not even a question.

For example one of the old boys that taught me to shoot was brought up during the war and his rule was "take it however it presents itself" but then I suppose the choice of eating crow pie or starving maybe makes that a mindset?

Rob - sorry for confusing your post as one from Kev, it's that red lettering that fooled me. :oops: Whens "your" birthday? :)
Trex
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Duncan » Mon May 18, 2009 10:14 pm

:thup:
Duncan
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby hungryrob » Mon May 18, 2009 10:27 pm

Perfect place to end this methinks ;)

Just tidied it up a little 8-)
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Previous

Return to General Shooting Topics