divine

Ever been refused a moderator?

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Ever been refused a moderator?

Postby Keef » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:35 pm

Have you ever been refused a slot for a moderator for target shooting?

I've heard of some instances and been told that Derby have done this. One reason for refusal has been that target shooters should be wearing ear defenders.

I followed a link on another forum to a report done by the Health and Safety Laboratory and found this piece:

6 CONCLUSIONS
 Without the use of a moderator hearing protectors are required when firing full-bore rifles.
Of the rifles tested only a .22 rimfire could be fired without hearing protectors.
Hearing
protectors which were predicted to provide adequate protection according to standardised
methods, did not always reduce the peak exposure below 200Pa (140dB). Muff movement
during firing frequently caused low frequency sound under the muffs and in addition at least
one impact on the muff cups was recorded during recoil.

So if you are refused one this could be quoted as a valid reason for needing a mod.

Link to report:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/hsl_pdf/2004/hsl04-01.pdf
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Re: Ever been refused a moderator?

Postby Les1066 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:46 pm

Yes, I was refused a moderator by a Cheshire FEO. He said I should be wearing ear defenders, so why do I need a moderator. I wasn't quick enough to think of anything, so I lost that round. :Facepalm:
Les1066
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Blackthorn » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:02 pm

I prefer using a mod on my 308 even with ear defenders. Until I upgraded to some better defenders I used to wear ear plugs under the defenders.

There are many reasons for using a mod, keeping the noise down in the surrounding area (we can only use modded full bore rifles during the summer months at our range) and reducing muzzle flip for example.
Blackthorn
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Tommo » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:11 am

Like Les I was refused a mod for my .308 by Merseyside police about five years ago. And, as stated, it was considered that target shooters used ear defenders so why would you need a mod..!! The FEO in question is now retired (fortunately) and he was well known to the local shooting community for his adherence to wot was writ. To this day I can remember his words to me when I phoned to ask about a mod. "No chance mate, it's the rules, no-one gets them for target shooting. Anyway you have to show good reason..." :roll: :roll: :Facepalm: :roll: :roll:

Totally different story now though. Merseyside Police now have people in the firearms registry with brains, common sense and a sense of humour. Good people all round. :thup: :thup: :thup:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:44 am

and maybe it's to stop the rozzers getting sued later down the line when all the shooters are mutton Jeff due to them not granting a mod :hmm:

when I did my DSC there was a clown to my left on the range during all the course who was shooting a .30-06 with a muzzle break :shock:
I wore,ear muffs with my clay shooting ear plugs and a tin hat and he still blew me half a metre to my right.
AND IT WAS STILL LOUD :!:
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter