divine

Semi-Auto advice

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Semi-Auto advice

Postby Smugley » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:49 am

Hi all,
Brand new to the forum and with time for some research (I'm 'sausage-side' with HM Forces).
I'm about to become a full member of my local club and am interested in practical shooting, so, which Semi-Auto for a starter?
I've got my eyes on a couple of s/h MagTech 7022s, which are v.cheap and seem a great starter semi??
Alternatively, Hammerli T1 or the Anshutz RX22 maybe.
Money wise, I think £500 is the upper budget. I like the 10/22 idea but I just know it's going to go sideways and my budget will go pot.
I've yet to put in a variation on my certificate so happy to take all and any advice.
Cheers
Smugley

Re: Semi-Auto advice

Postby Deallad » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:26 pm

I have a Ruger 10/22 great rifle out of the box that can be made better.

The good thing is there are loads of upgrades and you can do a bit at a time, some are not that expensive.

They have been around since the 60's and still going strong, they are a solid construction unlike some of the plastic guns.

Simple to tear apart and clean.

The target version will set you back a bit more than your budget but you get away with fewer upgrades.

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:33 am

The nearest you'll get to practical shooting in the UK will be gallery rifle and Civilian Service Rifle. As you are talking .22lr then you are talking gallery rifle. There is really only one rifle to get and that is the Ruger 10/22. My club runs what it probably the biggest gallery rifle event outside Bisley, the Derby Open. Two and a half days shooting with over 100 entrants. The vast majority, and just about all the ;eating shots are using 10/22s. Same goes for gallery rifle events at Bisley. The simple fact is, they work, and the ones that don't work too well can be made to.

There are two basic routes to buying one. One is to buy a basic bog standard rifle and customise it to suit. There easy to do and cheap mods are auto bolt release, trigger job, and extended magazine release. Two is to buy one already tricked out.

If you haven't already then take a look at the gallery rifle handbook, downloadable from the NRA's website. It'll give you the course of fire for all the comps.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Smugley » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Thanks chaps. I think I've got a route in my head, theres some cheap s/h 10/22s in one of my local gun shops around the £200 mark.
I'm assuming that this model is pretty bombproof?
I don't know if I like the tactical models or not, plus they seem to start pricey.
The three mods suggested seem to have a lot of variations from different manufacturers etc, any recommendations?
Smugley

Postby Coldfinger » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:16 am

There are many fancy tactical look rifles around, AR15 look-alikes, M16 look-alikes, Star Wars look-alikes etc etc etc.

But a nice 10/22 won't let you down :thup:
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Smugley » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:13 pm

10/22 it is. Thanks for the advice. Just need the variation now.
Smugley

Postby Bushdog » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:06 am

Just to put in a different point of view - I had a tricked out custom 10-22 with all the bells and whistles. I hated it. It was not super reliable (I think mainly down to the match spec chamber). I loathed the controls, even when extended, I found them fiddly and un-ergonomic.
I got rid of it and bought a Sig 522, which I found to be much more reliable and just as accurate, with easier controls, too. I have recently traded it for a Tippman M4-22 (an AR clone). It, too is just as reliable and accurate as my 10-22 and is also very ergonomic. It also seems much more reliable than any of the 10-22s used by other club members in our mini-rifle practical section.
Neither of these options cost any more than the tricked-out 10-22, and I have enjoyed both far more.
There - that's my point of view. Hope you enjoy whatever you end up with. :thup:
Bushdog
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:25 pm

Yup, what Bushdog said. The 10-22 is a great rifle out of the box. You can trick it out to make it a dedicated match rifle. I have a similar match rifle and it is very accurate however it's very heavy. I also have an AR 22 that is very similar to Bushdog's and I tend to shoot that much more often. I find that it just fits me better and light enough to shoot off hand all day. I can switch out the optics easily using the Picatinny rail system. It's a nice and handy set up.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Smugley » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:54 pm

Thanks guys, I'm pretty familiar with the AR-style of rifle (albeit full bore, auto, military-spec). I quite like the idea of tinkering around which seems to be part of 10/22 ownership. I've asked my local RFD to see if he can get any 10/22s for me to have a look at.
Given the relatively low cost of a s/h rifle, I think I'll start the journey there and then trade up perhaps.
Smugley

Postby Haggis » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:51 pm

For 10/22 you need to look over here.

https://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/

I think most of us owned a 10/22 at some point.

I run this now.

Haggis
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Nice!!!!
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Smugley » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:09 am

Now that's a piece of kit!
Out of curiosity, but why do use choose such a long barrel shroud/handguard?
There's clearly a reason but most, if not all, mil-spec AR-15 style rifles have a much shorter front handguard. I appreciate that a certain element of barrel has to protrude to fix a bayonet etc.
Is is to suit your style of hold?
Smugley

Postby Haggis » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:59 pm

A couple of things really, the barrel is free floated, you don't want it touching anything so a longer handguard sorts that out.
Positional shooting requires different points of contact, a longer rail allows for this and if you ever use a bipod you never attach it to the barrel so that's why there's a section of rail right at the muzzle end of the handguard.

If you shoot all the time on a square range it might not make sense to you.
Haggis
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Haggis » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:47 pm

Do have rifles with shorter handguards :grin:

Haggis
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Smugley » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:39 pm

Another nice looking rifle.
I've fired on a vast number of ranges with all sorts of military weapons, but as for practical shooting (or even civilian ranges) I'm very new.
It's interesting to see the variety of mods to suit individuals. I take it that these are very much competition practical firearms??
Since getting my FAC earlier this year, I've concentrated on seining and grouping practice from seated supported and rabbit work from prone or off sticks. I'm keen to try some practical stuff, it looks quite a challenge and a bit of a hoot.
Smugley

Next

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder