Switch to full style
Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics
Write comments

Cheap .22LR ammo

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows of some cheap .22lr ammo for plinking on a range?
Iv tried Remington thunderbolt which were awful, inaccurate and I disappeared into a cloud of thick black smoke.
iv just bought and yet to try some SK lubricated ammo which was £69 per 1000, il lay down a hundred or so rounds tomorrow so we will see how that goes!

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers

Re: Cheap .22LR ammo

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:22 pm

Remington Subs work well out of my CZ452, and are also pretty cheap.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:43 pm

Nice one, they will mostly be used in my 452 so I will give them a try next time.

Thanks

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:49 pm

Having said that, if it's a proper club range, you might want to check hollow points are allowed.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:12 pm

Didn't even think of that. I'l have to ask when i'm there tomorrow. Cheers for the advice.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:40 pm

The cheapest stuff we use at our club is the Standard CCI which we sell for £5.00/100.(& the club makes a small profit on it)

Does your club not supply ammo?

btw I've never heard of any Clubs restricting what type of .22 bullets were allowed; the club's range safety certificate will usually just specify a maximum velocity for the ammunition permitted.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:21 pm

If the hollow points are Section 5 expanding ammunition then the normal condition on the FAC is that it cannot be used for target shooting.

Using it at the club for a test and for zeroing would fit the FAC condition but as stated the clubs range certificate needs to be checked.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:33 am

the SK works well in my CZ452 and my Ruger 10/22 it is also sub sonic so that when I use it in the range I do not have to adjust from my hollow points wher as the standard CCI has a different POI

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:34 am

shotgun sam wrote:the SK works well in my CZ452 and my Ruger 10/22 it is also sub sonic so that when I use it in the range I do not have to adjust from my hollow points wher as the standard CCI has a different POI

How are the CCI subsonics in the Ruger? Stucane recently bought a new 10/22, and the CCI were woeful - Wouldn't cycle more than a couple of shots in a row without jamming, but Remington subs had very few malfunctions.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:26 am

tried cci subsonic in both ther cz and ruger I could not wait to shoot all 200 of them so I could buy some more ammo remmington subs work well in both guns as do theSK ammo

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:38 pm

Remington subs are so far unbeatable in my 12" CZ 452, grouping better than eley subs, winchesters, cci subs, cci segmented, magtech subs, rem thunderbolts and sk subs. For reference I can get 1.5" groups at 100 yards with remington subs from the bipod in a good day..

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:56 pm

Ok, iv used about 150 of the SK's now & they seem to be fairly consistent. Id say that they were slightly better than both Eley Club & Winchester Subsonics.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:13 pm

Some clubs have a balistic curtain which would get torn to shreds by HP ammo just another reason for not using it on ranges . I find RWS geco to be very good quality and accurate at a reasonable price if your buying in bulk .
bondy66 are you a member at Cheshunt , if so ask the bench rest guys they will know whats a good round to use , I buy mine at Roding armoury .

Dave

Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:19 pm

the problem associated with hollow points is that they cut out a hole (bit like a spud gun) when fired through the red curtain used on some ranges. The stuff is called Linatex which is a self 'healing' material and can take up to .357 as I recall (possibly wrong but it is a fair size calibre that it can take) without being shredded. The hollow points take out a piece as they pass through and severley reduce the life of the curtain. At £80 per linear metre it isn't received well when HP is used.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:25 pm

Yes im a member at cheshunt, Iv not had a chance to get down there for a couple of weeks though & am hoping to get there on thursday so will have a chat with a few of them.

Thanks for your input.
Write comments