divine

What's it to be then?

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Re: What's it to be then?

Postby RichardH » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:46 am

GH

If you must have an HMR can I suggest you look at the Weihrauch HW60J

The build quality is terrific (as is the Anschutz) and you could probably puck one up for about £420 if you shop around.

Regards

Rich
RichardH

Postby hungryrob » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:27 pm

RichardH wrote:GH

If you must have an HMR can I suggest you look at the Weihrauch HW60J

The build quality is terrific (as is the Anschutz) and you could probably puck one up for about £420 if you shop around.

Regards

Rich

Great to see you onboard Richard :DD :DD

I an't got an HMR either but I do like them and was shooting a CZ HMR last night; it was awesome
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby Keef » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:17 pm

Slightly more seriously here are a few options with what I have seen.

CZ - Rather plain looking with a dull finish. The bolt can be stiff and the safety catch even more so. The action is sometimes slightly off in the stock and some wood needs to be removed to get the barrel floating. Trigger mech is very basic with no adjustment. A Brooks kit can be bought that gives adjustment by fitting pivots and springs. When set up it is capable of very good accuracy, more so than the price would suggest.

Marlin. Very plain wood, typical US metal finish that doesn't look too durable. Basic trigger mech no adjustment. Any improment requires stripping and stoning. Good accuracy though, the son and heir has just sold his to finance an LBR but he was satisfied with it and so is the person who bought it.

Anschutz - I have one, nice finish, nice wood and an adjustable trigger mech. Feels slick when operating the bolt. Accurate but you pay a premium for it. I have the cheaper carbine but some models cost two arms and a leg for not a lot more gun.

HW - Haven't seen the 17HMR but I have handled the .22 Hornet. Nice everything. I was told by another RFD that there were some problems with the HMR round feeding from the mag, unconfirmed by me.

Ruger - A friend has one and invested in me making a stock for it as he liked it so much. Replacement trigger bits are needed to improve the trigger pull = more money. His was very accurate. He fired so many rounds through it he put a carbon fibre wrap barrel on it.

Savage - I have had one and worked on another. I couldn't get either rifle to group well. Bedded, pillared, trigger mech shimmed and worked on, neither gave the accuracy that I expected.

Those are the ones I have experience with. Personal choice would be the Anschutz.

Edited for typos
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Tommo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Greyhair wrote:
RichardH wrote:......P.S. My solar powered electric fence has now been running for 10 months non stop

Ah yes.. in the land of the never setting Sun. I presume you use a very large, very high mounted mounted mirror to reflect the sunshine when it's passed over your horizon then :razz: :razz: Either that or you're sneakily using batteries... :lone:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby Greyhair » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:02 pm

Keef wrote:
Those are the ones I have experience with. Personal choice would be the Anschutz.

Cheers Keith, much appreciated
Greyhair
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Greyhair » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:09 pm

Tommo wrote:
Greyhair wrote:
RichardH wrote:......P.S. My solar powered electric fence has now been running for 10 months non stop

Ah yes.. in the land of the never setting Sun. I presume you use a very large, very high mounted mounted mirror to reflect the sunshine when it's passed over your horizon then :razz: :razz: Either that or you're sneakily using batteries... :lone:

Nope.
A tenners worth of solar panel and a second hand motor cycle battery. (which wouldn't stand up to ten month's use if the charge wasn't being maintained, particularly during winter months)
:)
Greyhair
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Greyhair » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:24 pm

So, from what I have read I expect to be able to surgically castrate a money spider at a 1000 yds with one of these things, what power scope am I likely to need? ;)
Greyhair
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Keef » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:48 pm

Greyhair wrote:So, from what I have read I expect to be able to surgically castrate a money spider at a 1000 yds with one of these things, what power scope am I likely to need? ;)

Definitely a Nightforce 12 to 42 or an S & B 5 to 25.

More sensibly I have a 4 to 16 on mine, no not Nightforce, a Burris Black Diamond.

If you opt for one of the short barrel Anschutz then something compact will suit. A Nikko Nighteater 6 to 24 will dwarf the rifle and unbalance it, so 12 to 16 mag should do.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Greyhair » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:38 pm

Keef wrote:
Definitely a Nightforce 12 to 42 or an S & B 5 to 25.

More sensibly I have a 4 to 16 on mine, no not Nightforce, a Burris Black Diamond.

If you opt for one of the short barrel Anschutz then something compact will suit. A Nikko Nighteater 6 to 24 will dwarf the rifle and unbalance it, so 12 to 16 mag should do.

Short barrel? ..... short barrel? ..... I'm an Axsor shooter Keith, I'm used to having the end of the barrel at least halfway towards a 30 yd target. ;)

Thanks again for the info.
Greyhair
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Beer Hunter » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:34 am

I would not go for a shorter barrel HMR unless you intend to keep all your shots to within 160 yards.
I don't have time to go into it now, but it's about the 100-200 fps of muzzle velocity loss and transonic effects. The theory is sound and I've seen the problem on paper targets.
Keep to 20"+ is my recommendation.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Keef » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:44 am

I'm going to try to put this in a delicate way but Greyhair and myself are what might be termed "mature" in our years.

I don't know about him but I have a problem seeing 160 yards, let alone shooting that far! That's why I use 16 mag for the 30 yard shots! :)
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Greyhair » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:10 am

No ..no... I'm fine at 160yds.

It's being able to see where the rifle is, in-board of 1.6 yds is where all the trouble starts ;)
Greyhair
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Keef » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:51 am

Greyhair wrote:It's being able to see where the rifle is, in-board of 1.6 yds is where all the trouble starts ;)

I have that problem but in my case it not down to eyesight.

It's the waist line. :(
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Previous

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder