6mmppc

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:19 am

anyone using this calibre?
saw a sako 75 6mmppc for sale i really liked the look of this gun
but i know very little about this calibre
can anyone give me some advice?

Re: 6mmppc

Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:37 am

6mm PPC is a great calibre - possibly the most accurate calibre there is out to about 300 yards. Most short range benchrest rifles are chambered in this calibre.

It makes a great vermin and fox round, but it does have issues for deer stalking. The maximum bullet weight is usually limited by the twist rate which is typically 1:12 or 1:14. This effectively limits the maximum bullet weight to about 70 grain.
This weight limit immediately makes it illegal for anything but Roe in Scotland and the energy available makes it unsuitable for anything but Muntjac and Chinese Water deer in England.

Here is a good article on the calibre - http://www.6mmbr.com/6PPC.html

The Sako 75 is a very fine rifle though :)

Kev.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:33 pm

If you are looking to shoot something similar you might be better with a 6mbr. A very accurate, efficient little round, very similar to the 6PPC but a bit more user friendly - I dont think there is any comercial brass available for the 6PPC.

The 6br with a 1 in 8 barrel will easily handle .243 pills at 110 grain or so at about 3000 fps and only on about 30 grains of powder.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:25 am

i would have the 6br.

as the above post said more suited to deer if you shoot deer. not far off the accuracy of the ppc up to 300. and then over 300 yards its better due to better choice of bullets and better bc.

couple of lads on other forums have them. and the groups they have put up are superb. mind there is a nice cooper 6ppc on the guntrader bet that shoots well. just depends on what style of shooting you want to do i guess

Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:27 pm

I would also go for 6mmBR over the ppc unless you intend to shoot only 300 and don't mind fire forming brass.
I had a 6mmBR-super accurate out to 600y.Easy to load and shoot with low recoil,brass available.
Only down side with 6mmBR,is mag feeding 10 rounds its not reliable as the cartridge is nose heavy.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:58 am

can someone link me to the guntrader for cooper 6ppc for sale?

Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:59 am

wolfolson wrote:can someone link me to the guntrader for cooper 6ppc for sale?

hi mate just go in the search and then click the 6ppc box. there is only one on there.

links to gun trader dont allways bring up what your looking for when someone puts a link for from there site
Write comments