divine

Shot Placement On Foxes With a .17HMR

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Re: Shot Placement On Foxes With a .17HMR

Postby plugg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Bushdog wrote:
If this is the case then the advice only to shoot foxes at close range may not be helpful as velocities at closer ranges would remain higher, meaning that the chances of bullet break-up before penetration would be higher.

I wish there was a 25-30 grain soft-point bullet option at 2200 for the HMR - I reckon that would be excellent for foxes at close - moderate range.

You might be right there Brian :thup:

Last year, summer time, I was lying in a field with a .22LR pinging bunnies as they descended from a railway bank. It wasn't particularly sporting but it was clinical pest control and it needed to be done :thup:

Im sure all of you reading this will be familiar with the feeling you get when you are being watched?

I had the .22-250 with me (I am conditioned to take ground game with it) as the embankment extends another 200 yards or so, plus the fact that I know the field I was lying in was a major transit route for fox en route to a nearby chicken farm...So there was always a chance of shooting a fox.

Anyway, I digressed there a little.

As I was saying, that feeling when you know something is watching you?

I looked over my shoulder and there stood not 40 yards away was a fox! The '250 was loaded, with the chamber empty. As stealthily as possible I picked the '250 up, racked the bolt, quick check for a backstop over the top of the scope and shot at the fox with a 55gr Vmax. As another little digression, the 55 gr bullet travels at ~3850fps and around 1700ft/lbs at the muzzle.
On impact the bullet floored the fox, knocking lumps out of him and after a high pitched squeal the fox took to his heels and I never saw him/her again.

The point is, there is a massive difference in the velocities and muzzle energy of a .17HMR with a 17 or 20 grain bullet and a .22-250 with 55gr (VMax) bullet at 40 yards.
Im sure, and as pointed out by Leadpig IIRC, that the bullet didnt get a chance to open up OR never met enough resistance to open up on the fox. I am however sure that I seen an impact in the ground beyond the fox which could have very well been the bullet exiting.
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Triffid » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:18 pm

Bushdog wrote:It seems to me that the issue with .17 HMR is not one of power, but of bullet construction for adequate penetration on bigger animals like a fox.

Absolutely spot on. That's why I'd happily take a fox at short range (50m) with a .22rf, but not with an HMR.
Triffid
Triffid
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby hungryrob » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:21 pm

I've seen a young fox shot at 50 yards with an HMR in the head..

The bullet struck an upper tooth, travelling to the back of the jaw and no further. Poor sod ran off dazed and was promptly shot again in the chest. It took another shot to put it out of it's misery. The shooter at that point decided never to shoot another fox with the HMR as it was a pretty horrible experience.

He sold the hummer shortly afterwards :(
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby Stinkfoot » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:09 pm

I owned an HMR for less than a year but found it inconsistent on bunnies.
Some would explode as though hit with a centrefire bullet while others would barely show entry and exit holes.
I can't actually recall a rabbit getting away after being hit by such a force but I'm sure that some of the wounds, had they been on foxes, would not have been fatal.
I'll be buying another one in the new year for corvids and rabbits but I'll never raise the barrel to a fox.
Stinkfoot
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:16 pm

Stinkfoot wrote:I owned an HMR for less than a year but found it inconsistent on bunnies.
Some would explode as though hit with a centrefire bullet while others would barely show entry and exit holes.
I can't actually recall a rabbit getting away after being hit by such a force but I'm sure that some of the wounds, had they been on foxes, would not have been fatal.
I'll be buying another one in the new year for corvids and rabbits but I'll never raise the barrel to a fox.

thats why we switched to hm2/mach2 the hmr was to inconsistent it would either blow rabbits apart or just pass straight through,all the energy from hm2 stays inside bugs,very little mess and very dead bugs ;) :thup: :thup: :thup:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mathspete » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:33 pm

South Yorkshire will not condition ANY rimfire calibre for foxes, end of story. When out rabbiting with both 22lr and HMR I have had to decline shots on foxes because I want to keep my ticket :thup: . However if they happen to wander in front of the 204 or the 250 its goodnight charlie :grin:
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby 1in9 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:57 am

Bushdog wrote:Before I start, I will say I have never shot a fox with my HMR. This is all therefore theoretical, and you must take it or leave it.

It seems to me that the issue with .17 HMR is not one of power, but of bullet construction for adequate penetration on bigger animals like a fox.

Agreed, with the regular V-max if you're trying to put one in the engine room and hit a rib there is no guarantee it'll do the business as desired.

That said there are the 20gn CCI gamepoint rounds which mushroom rather than fragment. So better penetration. :thup:

I have a five shot mag in a back pocket in case I run into an unlucky fox...
The UK's biggest range of rifle magazines with FREE UK delivery http://riflemags.co.uk
1in9
Hunter
Hunter
Trade Member
Trade Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Stewartyg » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:10 am

mathspete wrote:South Yorkshire will not condition ANY rimfire calibre for foxes, end of story. When out rabbiting with both 22lr and HMR I have had to decline shots on foxes because I want to keep my ticket :thup: . However if they happen to wander in front of the 204 or the 250 its goodnight charlie :grin:

We are the same here!!
Stewartyg
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Stinkfoot » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:10 am

Stewartyg wrote:
mathspete wrote:South Yorkshire will not condition ANY rimfire calibre for foxes, end of story. When out rabbiting with both 22lr and HMR I have had to decline shots on foxes because I want to keep my ticket :thup: . However if they happen to wander in front of the 204 or the 250 its goodnight charlie :grin:

We are the same here!!

Are you sure?
I had heard the same thing about our police but thought there would be no harm in asking. I had a long conversation with the head of the firearms department about it and, although reluctant at first, I guess he thought I was trustworthy enough to stick to my side of the bargain and granted me conditioning for fox with WMR. I had no intention of asking for fox with HMR but it seemed obvious he wouldn't have agreed to that since his primary concern was muzzle energy. IIRC, he said that 500 ft/lbs was the acceptable minimum for fox.
My argument was that I wasn't looking for a fox calibre, but rather the authority to shoot fox with a rabbit gun if I happen to come across one at close quarters. He asked me to call back in a few hours while he considered my request. I'm pleased to say the answer was yes.
If you don't ask..........
Stinkfoot
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Bushdog » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:53 am

1 in 9 - yes I've tried the 20gn hollow points on rabbits and to be honest I can't tell a difference from the Vmax.
I would like to try the FMJ bullets that I believe are available - not on animals, but in side by side penetration tests.
Bushdog
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:09 am

Bushdog wrote:
I would like to try the FMJ bullets that I believe are available

you got any info on these :?:
weight/speed etc.
i can`t find any info anywhere
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Bushdog » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:15 am

Henry Kranks has them, apparently. All they say is 20gn FMJ, made by CCI. From other sources on the net I have seen 2350 quoted for velocity.

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?mai ... ts_id=4753
Bushdog
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Buffy Vampire Slayer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:22 am

Bushdog wrote:Henry Kranks has them, apparently. All they say is 20gn FMJ, made by CCI. From other sources on the net I have seen 2350 quoted for velocity.

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?mai ... ts_id=4753

thanks for that :thup:
they`re not cheap though :shock: @ over £9 more than what i`m paying for hornady v-max.
on the plus side kranks aren`t too far from me ;)
MY BABIES
HOWA 1500 .308 BOYDS THUMBHOLE/PREDATOR MOD
BROWNING A-BOLT ECLIPSE .22-250/A-TEC MAXIM MOD
WEIHRAUCH HW60 HMR/ PREDATOR MOD
.22 FAC MK2 RAPID/AWT MOD
BROWNING 525 O&U 12g
ZOLI COLUMBUS GOLD 0&U 12g
REMINGTON 1187 FAC SEMI AUTO 12g
Buffy Vampire Slayer
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Bushdog » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:27 am

Bloody long way for me - I keep hoping one of the dealers down here will have some in when I remember to ask, but no lluck so far!

If you try them, I'd be interested to hear the results.
Bushdog
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby plugg » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:32 am

£28 for 100 rounds?

That is shocking!
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder