divine

Shot Placement On Foxes With a .17HMR

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Re: Shot Placement On Foxes With a .17HMR

Postby 247sniper » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:33 am

Bushdog wrote:

I'm afraid I am not into super-fast bullets that blow up -I prefer to leave 2 holes in everything (1 in, 1 out) and if I balls up, I've usually got a good blood trail to follow.

Are you saying you don't use fragmentable bullets on vermin or softpoint on deer, what do you use?? :?

At least my super fast rapid expansion .22 Hornet puts thing down stright away and for good, I dont have to spend hours following a blood trail to a wounded animal.

Steve.
247sniper
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby caspertguk » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:44 am

247sniper wrote:
Bushdog wrote:

I'm afraid I am not into super-fast bullets that blow up -I prefer to leave 2 holes in everything (1 in, 1 out) and if I balls up, I've usually got a good blood trail to follow.

Are you saying you don't use fragmentable bullets on vermin or softpoint on deer, what do you use?? :?

At least my super fast rapid expansion .22 Hornet puts thing down stright away and for good, I dont have to spend hours following a blood trail to a wounded animal.

Steve.

I'm with you!!!!!!! Thought everyone who shot especially at small game used expanding??
caspertguk
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Bushdog » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:23 pm

No - thats not what I'm saying - do try to keep up.

I use well-constructed expanding bullets that will fully penetrate my targets, (while expanding). It does not take massive velocity. Clearly on deer any thing else would be illegal. On small game/vermin other live animals, anything else would be immoral - if you knew me, you would know better than to ask.

Try it sometime before you judge.
Bushdog
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Bushdog » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:57 pm

Guys - I am going to admit I am a little peeved at your responses.

You have leapt to a lot of conclusions, just because I basically said I did not believe velocity was the only ingredient to good ammunition.

I specifically made the point that I have different experience than the need for max velocity and highly expansive bullets. Does not mean I am shooting at anything with solids or doing anything illegal, or unethical either. Be aware that not all expanding bullets are designed the same.

If you had seen bigger animals with superficial wounds from light bullets at high velocity, you might agree with me. I would argue that load based on sensible velocities with suitably constructed bullets is more humane and versatile than any max. velocity load with a lightly constructed bullet designed to blow up on impact.
Bushdog
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby firepower » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:18 am

True about excessive velocity and plastic tipped rounds. I won't use them for deer at all. Good old lead tip mushrooming bullets all the way for them.

Fast is not always better. Giving up energy is the important factor along with penetration of course.

ATB
Mick
ATB
Mick
firepower
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby plugg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:42 pm

firepower wrote:True about excessive velocity and plastic tipped rounds. I won't use them for deer at all. Good old lead tip mushrooming bullets all the way for them.

Fast is not always better. Giving up energy is the important factor along with penetration of course.

ATB
Mick

Agreed, keeps the bullet flat though :thup:

The 36gr varmint grenades out of my '250 are doing around 4440fps and always do the job very well indeed. The aren't plastic tipped though and the core is tin :hmm:
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Culchiemick » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:22 pm

Love my hmr I shoot foxes alot with it but I do alot of calling which brings them in that's where the fun is for me 60-70 yards is fine. I use a 223 as well but use the 17 more . weather conditions can make or brake it
Attachments
20160211_001807.jpg
Hmr foxing
Culchiemick

Postby Deallad » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:41 am

I will only use CCI Gamepoint and Winchester XTP which are 20 gn without the ballistic tip, these rounds give deeper penetration and do the job well.

Would not use it beyond 50 yards though.

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Bushdog » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:10 pm

Necropost - last discussed in 2012 :shock: .
Bushdog
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Foxman » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:05 am

Hi Chris

My to go to fox rifle is my 222. Out to silly ranges it's the top drawer, so accurate 50 Grn v max perfect foxing round, out to hundred I use my 22 WMR it's perfect out to 100 yds with H&L or head shots far outshines the HMR in my opinion

I changed to the WMR from the hmr after a H&L shot at a fox, at 60 yds the shot placement was bang on and I found the fox 80 yds away still trying to get away. - that was the last time I used it, as a long range rabbit rifle the hmr it's perfect albeit noisy but I don't think it's fit for purpose for H&L shots on foxes 17 Grn bullet as opposed to the wmr 30 or 40 Grn both have the near same muzzle energy but the heavier bullet follows on to make a terminal shot rather than a runner which is really what's it all about

WMR has its limits after a 100 yds it drops off dramatically, I have mine set at 90 yds bull, it's just perfectly accurate anywhere out to a 100, ninety yards is still a nice distance for foxing, I guess most foxs shot are within that range
Foxman

Previous

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder