divine

Dodgy .223 Chamber?

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Dodgy .223 Chamber?

Postby Hares Ear » Thu May 01, 2008 9:18 pm

I have just cleaned the first lot of brass, that I have fired through a new Remington VSSFII .223. I have noticed that there is a mark on the cases just where the shoulder meets the neck. It's almost as if there is a radius in the chamber.

My problem is, the rifle shoots like a dream. I have not played with seating depth, primers or powder load, and it is shooting well under an inch at 3770 fps.
Do I ignore the badly reamered chamber, or send it back, and risk getting one that isn't as accurate?
Robin.
A Snider squibbed in the jungle,
Somebody laughed and fled,
And the men of the First Shikaris
Picked up their Subaltern dead
Hares Ear
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Dodgy .223 Chamber?

Postby Vermincinerator » Thu May 01, 2008 9:27 pm

Woah!
first lets establish what you are shooting that is giving you 3770 fps from a 223!!!
Either very light for calibre bullets (assumimg you handload???) massive over charge of your chrono is fecked.

Ian.
Vermincinerator
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby hungryrob » Thu May 01, 2008 9:36 pm

Vermincinerator wrote:Woah!
first lets establish what you are shooting that is giving you 3770 fps from a 223!!!
Either very light for calibre bullets (assumimg you handload???) massive over charge of your chrono is fecked.

Ian.

I get 4020 fps with mine using 36 grain varmint grenades, 3750 ish with 40 grain VMax....

It would help to know more about the load Robin. I'd be unhappy if I was getting the problem you describe but without load info it will be difficult to decipher the problem. If it's a heavy bullet then there is a very good possibility you are overloading it but otherwise I'd be inclined to consider the reaming job to have been a poor one..
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby Hares Ear » Thu May 01, 2008 9:43 pm

Rob.
Without doubt the reaming job is a poor one.
I am using 40 grain Vmax and Blitzkings. There is no difference in accuracy, the Hornadys are slightly faster than the Sierras. I am well over what Vihtavouri say is a full case with N133.
I wanted a rifle to shoot light bullets at stupid foot per second without going down the 22-250 route. I have a rifle that shoots heavy bullets quite well.

Incidentaly, I ran the barrel in with factory ammo. They have the same mark on them as my hand loads.
Robin.
Hares Ear
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Vermincinerator » Thu May 01, 2008 9:55 pm

Hi Hares ear,
Any chance of a photo buddy, seeing exactly what the radius looks like would help greatly in identifying whats wrong with your chamber.
Remmy barrels are chambered with pilotless reamers by semi skilled operators, if there was a chip in the reamer then it would create a ridge and extraction of the fired case would be difficult.
If you have a radius in place of a sharp corner where the shoulder meets the neck there would not be a problem if it was uniform and all round the case.
If however the area resembles a Wetherby case then regardless how well the rifle shoots it should go back.

Ian.
Last edited by Vermincinerator on Thu May 01, 2008 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vermincinerator
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby hungryrob » Thu May 01, 2008 9:56 pm

Hares Ear wrote:I wanted a rifle to shoot light bullets at stupid foot per second

Depending on your twist, the 36 grain Varmint Grenades are the ultimate stupid fast in .223. They are fairly long as well; approximately the same length as 50- 55 grain lead bullets so have a better BC than the stubby 40 grain alternatives. Their length also has advantages in the modern tighter twist .223's.

I'd have to agree with you about the chamber being damaged....
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby Beer Hunter » Thu May 01, 2008 10:03 pm

If the mark spans all or most of the circumference, then it could well be the dreaded "doughnut" forming in the brass. You get this if the chamber is tight (a good thing) and you are using hot loads.
You can tell by putting a straightened paper-clip in the neck and feeling for a thickened bump.
If this is the case, outside neck turning and inside neck reaming is the way forward.
If this is a "doughnut", be careful with your loads - the doughnut can effectively crimp bullets in the neck and pressures rocket.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Hares Ear » Thu May 01, 2008 10:04 pm

Vermincinerator wrote:Hi Hares ear,
If you have a radius in place of a sharp corner where the shoulder meets the neck there would not be a problem if it was uniform and all round the case.

Ian. You must be psychic. From my poor and brief description, you have just summed up the mark I am getting on the cases. Just bear with me while I find a digicam.

Rob. Who does the 36 Varmint Grenades? My twist is one in twelve, if it will handle them, I will give them a try.
Robin.
Hares Ear
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Hares Ear » Thu May 01, 2008 10:22 pm

If I have done it right, this should show a case i have just photographed. The brass is Lapua match.
Robin.
Hares Ear
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Vermincinerator » Thu May 01, 2008 10:47 pm

Thanks for the pic Robin,
Thats a bit more severe then i was expecting, take it back to your dealer with a fired case and have it changed.
In my opinion that is a faulty chamber, insist on a replacement or money back "DO NOT" except anything else.

Ian.
Vermincinerator
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby hungryrob » Fri May 02, 2008 12:09 am

Hares Ear wrote:
Vermincinerator wrote:Hi Hares ear,

Ian. You must be psychic. From my poor and brief description, you have just summed up the mark I am getting on the cases. Just bear with me while I find a digicam.

Rob. Who does the 36 Varmint Grenades? My twist is one in twelve, if it will handle them, I will give them a try.

My twist is 1 in 12 as well and they shoot very well.

Midway UK do them. I have load data: 23.8 grains N 120 with CCI 400 primers = very hot load at 4020. I did have it stoked up to 24.5 but got the bolt stuck :oops:

I'd say start at 22.5 and work up...

Oh, and that chamber looks fu**ed to me :shock:
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby Beer Hunter » Fri May 02, 2008 1:37 am

Looking at the pic, it's definitely not a doughnut.
Looks like you may get a smidgen more case capacity :lol:
I'd only be worried if the reamer error has eaten into the neck length as you will have less consistent neck tension as the brass gets older. If the neck is full length and its shooting well as you say, then what's the problem?

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder