divine

.22 AR15 Comparison

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

.22 AR15 Comparison

Postby Daniel11 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Hi.

As you will probably know in recent years the UK market for .22lr calibre, AR-15 style rifles has recieved many offerings from different companies, and i was wondering which was best, out of:

S&w m&p 15-22,

Lanner Tactical's 'LanTac Raven',

CMMG's M4,

or the Spikes Tactical from North-West Custom Parts.

Any help would be greatly Appreciated,

Daniel
Daniel11

Re: .22 AR15 Comparison

Postby Keef » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:50 pm

What do you want to use the rifle for?
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby thibben » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:45 pm

Welcome Daniel,

First off introduce yourself, bit of back ground then, as already asked 'what exactly do you want it for?' :?

Brgds Terry
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
thibben
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Daniel11 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:02 pm

Hi again.

My name is Daniel, I have done shooting for most of my life, mostly .22 target shooting and rabbit shooting, but always with guns that weren't my own (Army Cadet Force, Family and Friend's guns etc) I was looking at taking up .22 shooting more with my own rifle.

The rifle would mostly be used for smallbore target shooting and rabbits etc.

thanks, Daniel
Daniel11

Postby Keef » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:42 pm

Smallbore target shooting and rabbit shooting are two completely different disciplines requiring totally different rifles.

For smallbore target shooting you are going to need a heavy weight rifle with target aperture sights.

For rabbit shooting you will need a lightweight rifle fitted with a 'scope preferably with a threaded muzzle and moderator.

The rifles you have mentioned certainly won't do the job for target shooting, you would need something like this:

For vermin shooting the rifles you have enquired about could be used but generally might be considered to heavy or cumbersome. The AR clones in .22LR have long magazines which will get in the way if you want to shoot prone, especially with a bipod support. Some will also, because of the design have the scope mounted high above the barrel which can be a disadvantage in a .22LR at closer ranges. Something like this might be more suitable:

Before you consider getting any sort of rifle for target shooting you will have to join a club and do a mandatory probationary period of between three and six months to become a full member before you can have a Firearm Certificate (FAC). During this probation you will be taught range safety and how to shoot safely.

If you choose to do vermin control you will need permission from a land owner before the police will grant you an FAC. Your FAC will be closed initially, which means you may only shoot on land cleared by the police.

One thing you might consider is that the rifles you mentioned are all military looking and this can put land owners off. The last thing you want is to lose your permission, as that means your FAC will be revoked if you have nowhere to shoot.

If you search my recent posts you will find a brief outline of what is required to get an FAC. Read it as it will give you a lot more background information about getting an FAC and what is required.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Daniel11 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:53 pm

I am aware of the process of obtaining an FAC, and valid reason , membership of a home-office approved club etc, and was merely wondering which of the stated rifles was better.

Fantastic post however.

Thanks, Daniel
Daniel11

Postby rarms » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:11 pm

Daniel11 wrote:I am aware of the process of obtaining an FAC, and valid reason , membership of a home-office approved club etc, and was merely wondering which of the stated rifles was better.

Fantastic post however.

Thanks, Daniel

Where are you based? What club were you thinking of joining?
rarms
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby thibben » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Daneil,

Welcome (again) now we have an idea of what your after then, personnaly, forget the AR clones, it is doubful if any of them will equal a CZ heavy barrel for both target or rabbits.

The AR's are no doubt fun would not do yourself any favours performance wise.

The laminated varmint CZ would be cheaper to buy and leave you more for a really nice scope - important for both target and rabbits.

Best bet is to go along to your club of choice and try other folks guns rarher than looking at adverts and internet speak :roll:

Brgds Terry
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
thibben
Hunter
Hunter

Postby 1in9 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:20 pm

Echoing previous comments your best bet for some hands on comparative opinon is down at your local club, ideally if you can find one active in mini-rifle / sports rifle disciplines where semi-automatic target rifles are more common.

With the exception of the LanTac the rifles you mention have all been reviewed in Gun Mart:

http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/smith ... _mp_15-22/

http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/cmmg/

http://www.gunmart.net/militaria/articl ... mber_2010/

http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/lan-tac_sig522_dmr/

That said, being written by a magazine their opinions are usually pretty 'advertiser friendly' so take it with a pinch of salt. ;)
The UK's biggest range of rifle magazines with FREE UK delivery http://riflemags.co.uk
1in9
Hunter
Hunter
Trade Member
Trade Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Milo » Wed May 29, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd chip in. I own a Lantac Raven, they're great guns, extremely well built with match barrels. They're very accurate. They don't really compare to the mass produced AR type .22's as they are custom rifles, and so each one is potentially different.

If you want something a bit special then buy one, you'll have to wait a while I expect before it arrives but it will be worth it.
If you want a gun to use and abuse, rough shooting etc this isn't it, as was mentioned earlier they have longish mags (though short ones are available) so it will be harder to get low to the ground. As low as a traditional rifle anyway.

If you check out the build quality between all the .22 AR's out there i doubt you'll find one as good as a Raven.
When deciding what to buy I looked at the CMMG and a Heckler .22. The CMMG is very good, (the bolt assembly is used in the Raven) however the Raven has a CNC machined receiver and is more accurate because of the quality of the barrel.

The heckler looked and felt cheap by comparison to both the Raven and the CMMG.

Hope this helps

:thup:
Milo

Postby madmat » Thu May 30, 2013 3:13 pm

Hi Daniel,

This is a very good question and I've found the responses very interesting. I myself am just waiting for my FAC to arrive through the post before I go out looking for an AR (although I'm being tempted by a 10/22 with a bullpup stock :hmm:).

For me target shooting covers two distinct groups, you've got the competition shooters who want accuracy above all else to enter and win comps and then you have the recreational shooters who just want to shoot some paper with a fun gun and enjoy themselves (in a safe and responsible manner of course). I most certainly fall into the recreational category so an AR is perfect for me but think about which group you fall into, or perhaps I should say which group you fall into most as the majority of people I shoot with tend to flick between the 2 depending on the phase of the moon....we're a fickle bunch lol

As far as rabbit shooting goes I'll let others have their say as this is not a discipline I've had any experience in.

If it helps any my preference is for the S&W M&P 15-22 mostly down to the faithfullness to the original and also the all polymer construction making it incredibly lightweight which is a must for me as I'm fairly lightweight myself!

Hope this helps a little bit!
Mat
madmat
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby rgs101 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:50 pm

I have the carl walther colt M4 ops carbine. Which i use at the club mostly for fun..

I only have a standard red dot sight on it, even so it groups quite well bearing in mind the red dot is larger than the black on the target at 20yards its getting about 2" groups (standing without aditional support). If i had a proper scope it could be better.

On the otherhand, standing shots from my cz typically fall within the size of a 5 pence coin... And the ruger about a 10 pence coin.

While i love the colt, i think AR style rifles look a little agressive, and i dont think i would take it hunting, particularly if there was a chance of being seen by a member of the puplic

Zombie survival kit by rsearley, on Flickr

20yards with the colt
photo.JPG by rsearley, on Flickr
.243 Howa 1500
.17hmr browning t-bolt
.22 Ruger 10/22
.22 CZ 452
.22 Colt M4 OPS Carbine
.22 HW100 with pulsar N550
12g mossberg 500A pump
.410 hushpower
rgs101
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Rancid Badger » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:59 pm

Just my tupence worth...

I own a TacSol AR22 which came from NWCP, it took some time to break in, but now shoots very reliably & accurately (bearing in mind that the barrel is only 12.5" & I soley fire subs).

Never been interested in target shooting (they're just someing to aim at when zeroing!), but I can say that it has notched up a fair few rabbits, rats, pigeons & greys - my best was a 100yrd head shot through an unmagnified Eotech (rabbit).

If you're seriously considering an "AR", personally I'd stear clear of M&P, HK416, Colt & any other non-milspec clone. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with them (I have no personal experience), but if you want to be able to use the plethora of AR goodies out there, you'd find that some/most will not fit.

So, my suggestion would be to go with a Spikes or Lantec, which will both be milspec. If you happen to see a BAR22 up for sale, either bite they're arm off or tell me so that I can!
Charles S Rosson 1963 12g BLNE
Henry Monk 1913 12g SLE
Benelli Super Sport 12g
Mossberg 590 12g
Tac-Sol AR-22
Custom Varmint CZ452
Rancid Badger
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby 1in9 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:04 pm

rgs101 wrote: I dont think i would take it hunting, particularly if there was a chance of being seen by a member of the public

Definitely not one for land with much public access, nothing like a Police helicopter to ruin an afternoon's rabbit shooting!

I do my best to remain within public farming perception if walkers are about. That said, I do shoot foxes with a Steyr AUG but that's mostly at night and it's not as instantly recognisable as an AR15-a-like.
The UK's biggest range of rifle magazines with FREE UK delivery http://riflemags.co.uk
1in9
Hunter
Hunter
Trade Member
Trade Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby TJC » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:16 pm

I might be wrong but get a sense the OP is really after a 'tactical' looking AR for the range and the odd bit of rabbit. Something for fun more than winning competitions or clearing all the vermin in his 'hood. No shame in wanting that...if that is what you are after just say and you will find a willing response.
TJC
Rifleman
Rifleman

Next

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder