divine

17 hmr sound moderators

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Re: 17 hmr sound moderators

Postby sidesy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:17 am

just fitted a wildcat whisper on my hmr and its head and shoulders above the sak and JLS stalker, i have tried....light as a feather, easy to strip, well made.......quality of its manufacture is only beaten by its sound suppression....for its size its AMAZING!! 100% recommended :thup: :thup:
R7 Rapid S .22 , P.Wilson thumbhole AWT, CZ 452 .17 HMR MTC Viper 56mm / Ruger 10-22 Hawk red dot / Dedicated Ruger 10-22 NV / .223 Remy PSS 4200 tac 6/25 x 50 / .243 Remy Varmint Leup 8.5/25 x 50 mark 4 / .204 Remy Varm. Bettinsoli diamond 12g
sidesy
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Wabbit Icer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:04 am

DM80 for me!

Have had one on the Hummer when I bought it, only drawback of the old type is they can be a bit fiddly to remove the sleeve on for cleaning but still does not detract from the fact that they are excellent! :grin:
Be Vewwwwy Vewwwy Quiet I'm hunting wabbit...............With my Spear & Magic Hewmet!!!!
Wabbit Icer
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Erik Hamburger » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:27 pm

Expecting my FAC to be granted in the next 4 weeks, I am searching the market for a suitable silencer to buy for a .17HMR.
Searching the various forums, the following stand out and are often recommended:
DM80
SAK
ASE Utra
Wildcat
Prices range from £35 to £180, and the discussion which one is best continues. We could do with some proper test: How hard is it to get two guys together with 4-6 silencers and a Decibel meter and measure the sound signature from say 3 different points in relation to the rifle firing, average it out, and publish the results?
Shooting Magazines, take note! The argument could be settled.
(Obviously quality of materials and easy of cleaning should also be a factor in deciding which is the "Best Buy".)

As so many post say that there is no noticable difference between the silencers, or contyradict each other, I am inclined to go for a cheapish one...
Erik Hamburger

SGC and FAC, .17HMR, .243W, Basc Safe Shot, DSC1, and soon Centrefire/Fox control Level 2.
Erik Hamburger
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Beer Hunter » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:31 pm

Erik Hamburger wrote:...How hard is it to get two guys together with 4-6 silencers and a Decibel meter and measure the sound signature from say 3 different points in relation to the rifle firing, average it out, and publish the results? ...

How hard is is, well impossible. I don't believe its possible outside a lab environment.

Gunfire sound pressure rise time is unbelievably short at less than 4 usec and this is impossible to accurately measure outside a lab. There are no sound meters in existence capable of measurements anywhere near that quick and in the lab impulse noise measurements of such short durations are made using material stress tests.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby jamie » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:02 pm

most of the noise depends on where you shoot. on one shoot i have it sounds loud. its in a big dip between two hills and a big wood so it sounds pretty loud.

then on the other shoot by where there is a motorway that runs along the bank above the shoot if you face out in the fields with your back to motorway the hmr sounds very silent. the traffic noise must mute the sound :)
jamie
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby leadpig » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:58 pm

but how much of a difference is there,ie is there £90 worth of acctual noise reduction between the sak and the wildcat,as the sak has got some good reviews . :?
or is it the same old bling bling factor :roll:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Beer Hunter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:50 pm

leadpig wrote:but how much of a difference is there,ie is there £90 worth of acctual noise reduction between the sak and the wildcat,as the sak has got some good reviews . :?

There is a huge difference. You are comparing something with stainless baffles against plastic. Comparing a quality engineered item against something made to a price. Comparing a telescopic moderator to a muzzle can.
Is the Wildcat worth the extra? Yes - every time. I even have one on my .22 LR - other moderators will be as quiet on this application, but the Whisper will last me all my days.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby leadpig » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:38 am

Beer Hunter wrote:
leadpig wrote:but how much of a difference is there,ie is there £90 worth of acctual noise reduction between the sak and the wildcat,as the sak has got some good reviews . :?

There is a huge difference. You are comparing something with stainless baffles against plastic. Comparing a quality engineered item against something made to a price. Comparing a telescopic moderator to a muzzle can.
Is the Wildcat worth the extra? Yes - every time. I even have one on my .22 LR - other moderators will be as quiet on this application, but the Whisper will last me all my days.

Kev.

as someone who has never fired a hmr i do not know how loud they are,i am going for my first fac and trying to absorb as much info as i can on 17hmr as they dont like 22lr over her due to richochets.
the guy in what gun rated them highly,and i dont want to spend £££ on stuff i dont need on my first gun :)
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Beer Hunter » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:48 am

leadpig wrote:as someone who has never fired a hmr i do not know how loud they are,i am going for my first fac and trying to absorb as much info as i can on 17hmr as they dont like 22lr over her due to richochets.
the guy in what gun rated them highly,and i dont want to spend £££ on stuff i dont need on my first gun :)

The volume you will have to experience for yourself as its something that is almost impossible to describe.

However, the resulting volume from a moderator matters not a damn - only that your hearing is protected. The supersonic crack given from a supersonic bullet can never be silenced as it is external to the rifle. The muzzle blast reduction between the various mods is minimal. It can be heard, but only when comparing them side by side.

What you asked was if the Wildcat was worth the extra. Here there is no question - yes. Its a billion times better made than anything else out there and will last a lifetime. Yes it is also quieter, but that doest really make any difference to your quarry.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby leadpig » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:51 pm

thanks m8 :)

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Hornet 6 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:20 pm

Beer Hunter wrote:
leadpig wrote: You are comparing something with stainless baffles against plastic.

Kev.

Sure about that, I have 2 Sacs mods here both are made from alloy, no plastic in either.
You may be thinking of the £30 Wildcat Cub which is all plastic, and fairly crap and moderating a .22lr never mind an HMR

Neil. :)
Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Beer Hunter » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:24 pm

Hornet 6 wrote:
Beer Hunter wrote:
leadpig wrote: You are comparing something with stainless baffles against plastic.

Kev.

Sure about that, I have 2 Sacs mods here both are made from alloy, no plastic in either.
You may be thinking of the £30 Wildcat Cub which is all plastic, and fairly crap and moderating a .22lr never mind an HMR

Neil. :)

Niel,

I was speaking figuratively of course ;)
It is well documented how quickly the Sak baffles wear out with either magnum rimfire.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Bluelungbutter » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:35 pm

Thinking of replacing my SAK mod with a wildcat whisper on my .17HMR. I have a Varmint barrel on a CZ 452, will it fit on the wider barrel?

Cheers

DunK
Twitter @Bluelungbutter
Bluelungbutter
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby pierred » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:41 pm

Bluelungbutter wrote:Thinking of replacing my SAK mod with a wildcat whisper on my .17HMR. I have a Varmint barrel on a CZ 452, will it fit on the wider barrel?

Cheers

DunK
yep no problem there Dunk
pierred
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Bluelungbutter » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:29 am

Cool. :grin: :thup:

DunK