divine

bullets at the airport

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

bullets at the airport

Postby Beer Hunter » Sun May 04, 2008 11:22 pm

I got back from the US late this afternoon with a suitcase full of new shooting gear - including my full allocation of .243 and .204 expanding heads.
The normal procedure is to go to the customs office and have them enter them on the certificate and that's that. Today, however, there was no one in customs and only a red phone to pick up. So, I pick it up and it's answered - "hello, customs Glasgow office". Me - "Glasgow? I'm looking for someone in Aberdeen!"
It turns out that there are no customs folk in Aberdeen airport on Saturday or Sunday and the guy on the other end of the phone simply wasn't interested. In the end, I wandered round the airport till I found a Police man and explained the situation to him. He just took a note and said he would contact my FEO.

Absolutely amazing! :angry: You cant take a baby's bottle of milk onto a plane, but you can travel the world with ammunition and no one seems to care :roll:

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Re: bullets at the airport

Postby Photoguy2910 » Mon May 05, 2008 1:08 am

Says it all, I was in Poland with my brother last year, checked in and then bro's name was called over the tanoy, he got taken to one side and asked about the bullets in his bag... there weren't any just batteries. Had to get everything out to prove it... he now knows the fear is brown... :turd:

Got home... nothing, not a sole in customs...

Glad you got back ok
Photoguy2910
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby RichardH » Mon May 05, 2008 2:23 am

Beer Hunter wrote:You cant take a baby's bottle of milk onto a plane, but you can travel the world with ammunition and no one seems to care :roll:

Kev.

Ah but since its .204 ammunition, which by definition is smaller than .224 and therefore as camp as a row of pink tents, are you surprised?

What self respecting terrorist would dare step out packing that.........

Do you see?

Rich
RichardH

Postby Tommo » Mon May 05, 2008 1:53 pm

RichardH wrote:....Ah but since its .204 ammunition, which by definition is smaller than .224 and therefore as camp as a row of pink tents, are you surprised?......Rich

Just a tad away from .260 then.. that's if you ever HEAR or SEE one being shot... there's a rumour going round that when certain people buy .260's they get a free display case with it.. :lol:

I brought 10.. yes, TEN boxes of .308 A-Max from the US (not by plane I hasten to add..) and had no trouble Stateside. Having said that I didn't get any hasstle when we landed in Southampton either.. guess the Customs people think those travelling on the QM2 are a class apart. :razz: :lol:

Just as an aside to this; I worked out that IF I'd turned up at the airport with my case and it's shipboard contents, it would have cost me in excess baggage fees the price of another seat... :shock:
I have to say that 'doing' the NY to Southampton trip is wonderful and sooo underated by 'ordinary' travellers. Ok so North Atlantic crusing is not everyone's cup of tea, but this is a means to an end guys. For less that £1000 you get six days at sea, all included except alcohol, the best food you'll ever taste in your life, and the air fare is included in the price.. Fly out, stay a week and sail back.. absolutely wonderful, and arrive in the UK in real time without the crappy jet lag. Oh and I now have another US shooting buddy in the form of a guy, who is a Commander with the LA Sherrif's Dept.. met him on the ship... Job done :thup:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby jeff » Mon May 05, 2008 3:11 pm

Yeah, had that in the past at both Teeside and Newcastle. On the positive side though, it's rather handy when your little shopping excursion doesn't quite fit within your duty free allowance. :lol:
Jeff

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
jeff
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Beer Hunter » Tue May 06, 2008 2:20 pm

Just off the phone to my FEO and he has problems as there is no legal obligation to enter heads on a certificate - even expanding ones.
I questioned this as it was my belief that S5 heads have to be on the certificate - however he is aliment that there is no legal requirement for them to be entered.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Guesty » Tue May 06, 2008 7:55 pm

Beer Hunter wrote:Just off the phone to my FEO and he has problems as there is no legal obligation to enter heads on a certificate - even expanding ones.
I questioned this as it was my belief that S5 heads have to be on the certificate - however he is aliment that there is no legal requirement for them to be entered.

Kev.

Aliment?
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/dictionaries/difficultwords/data/d0000590.html
Or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliment
Guesty
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby Beer Hunter » Tue May 06, 2008 8:38 pm

Should have been "adamant" - my typing often takes place with fingers and brain completely independent of each another :lol:

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby English » Mon May 12, 2008 12:44 pm

Kev,

I have heard this before and have had at least one RFD refuse to fill in the fac for just bullets because it wasnt necessary.

Despite the fact that I have brought back BOTH full ammo and heads from the USA customs havent been interested in getting it on my FAC.

As the main reason for having it is to demonstrate continued use of the firearms Ive never worried too much as I similarly buy sufficent ammo in the UK to do that.

In fact since those dum asses at the NRA wrote and told the police I hadnt been target shooting there for more than a year- which was wrong), I ALWAYS now make a point of buying some ammo whilst at bisley just to show my presence there!

As for the brain disconnect to the hands whilst typing - I have this Adam-Ant ailment too - its clinical name is tripe-writing! :lol:
If it has a trigger I'm gonna enjoy it!

Look - an eagle!

http://www.ukgunworks.co.uk/
English
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby foxshooter » Mon May 12, 2008 1:04 pm

I've yet to find a RFD who writes reloading bits onto my ticket.

However,

Expanding heads do count towards your 'hold' allowance whether loaded into a cartridge or sat in their box on the shelf so either dont have too many of them or hide the extras well :) especially if you are expecting a visit from your FEO

Mark
foxshooter
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mr smith » Wed May 14, 2008 4:12 pm

Spoke to Tayside firearms today about bringing back ammo from the states.The guy i spoke to says he couldn't understand why customs would enter stuff onto my FAC,he says the dealer in the states should do it.
Dundee rifle and pistol club
mr smith
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby jeff » Thu May 15, 2008 2:38 am

I thought you needed to add S5 bullets to your FAC as they counted towards your storage allowance? Anyway, I used to get everythgin listed to show use of all calibres, and I never once met an RFD not willing to do it - and if I had, he'd have lost the sale, as it's not exactly asking much on his part, is it?
Jeff

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
jeff
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder