divine

April silhouette match results

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

April silhouette match results

Postby Calfed » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:39 am

I used my scoped 1909 Argentine Mauser in the monthly silhouette match last Saturday and had some luck...39/40. I missed a turkey on my 39th shot... To add insult to injury, after the match I discovered that my scope mounts were a little loose. :(

Here are the match results. Note that the match director erroneously listed my rifle as an M-96 Swede. It was, in fact, my '09 Argentine.

A picture of my '09 (please note that the previous owner drilled and tapped it...)

Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Re: April silhouette match results

Postby flintlok » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:03 pm

Not bad shooting at all. Boy the bell on that scope just makes the clearance off the barrel. Still, it's a nice looking rifle.

Have you bought anything new lately? The last thing that I picked up was a LC Smith Specialty Grade double gun in 12 gauge manufactured in 1925. It takes two and a half inch shells. That was about a month and a half ago.

I've been looking to find the new Remington pistol, the R51. I have an older beater circa mid 1920's Remington Model 51 that looks likes somebody bled all over the exterior. I believe that it was improperly stored in a leather holster in the summer humidity for a couple of seasons. The internals are however pristine so it's a shooter. The R51 would complement that nicely.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Les » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:22 pm

Respect to you for that result, even with tight mounts. :thup:
Les
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Calfed » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:01 pm

Thanks, guys. I tightened up the scope bases last night and took all the slack out. I'll shoot it again next month and see how it does.

The scope does sit high, Flinty. I could probably get it lower if I removed the rear sight and slid the scope forward a bit. I have a Persian Mauser that had been drilled and tapped by the previous owner, who had also removed the rear sight. The scope is on a Redfield base, but sits considerably lower than the one on this Argentine.

Here is the auction pic of the Persian...

And after I put a scope on it. You can see it sits lower.

I've shot a 39/40 with the Persian also. Here is why it shoots so well...

And here are the rifles, side by side

Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Calfed » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:06 pm

Les wrote:Respect to you for that result, even with tight mounts. :thup:

Thanks, Les.

The silhouettes are chickens (200m), pigs (300m), turkeys (385m) and rams (500m). My sons usually shoot the match with me, but couldn't make it this time.

Here is the range...

We also shoot these same rifles in a " long range" vintage military match. This is a match shot at paper bullseye targets at 300, 500, 600, and 800 yards.

The long range match is shot at the 1000 yard range at the top of this satellite picture

http://binged.it/LRzsfF
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder