divine

Caps & Nipples

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Caps & Nipples

Postby Coldfinger » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:32 pm

No, no, not that type but black powder caps & nipples

I gave my .36 1958 New Model Army revolver a go on Sunday morning in a timed & rapid comp (OK, Keef. Stop sniggering)

In the two shots in 4 seconds string at 10 metres I lost out on the second shot a few times due to the bashed caps dropping off and jamming the cylinder. I was using Remington No.10's with a pinch on them before application.

Is it that the caps are no longer made with a soft copper? Is there a brand of percussion cap better than the competition for not falling off?
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Caps & Nipples

Postby flintlok » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:23 pm

I would consider RWS as they are made in a strange land the uses something called the metric system where in the enlightened USA we use the inch pattern. Perhaps the RWS will fit you alien metric copy of Remington fine cap and ball revolver originally design on the inch pattern. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Note that I use Remington caps as well as CCI caps and they seem to hold fast on my nipples although I have had some problems in the past, The caps tend to fragment in my revolvers and the seems the jam up the works more often than loose caps. Perhaps you could replace the nipple with metric pattern American made nipples. They may fit the caps better. On my percussion Leman rifle I use no 11 caps with an American made nipple and the caps are very tight fit.

Didn't Keef just mention that he is now the proud owner of a cap and ball pistol? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby TheSquire » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:36 pm

I find that the RWS come in odd sizes, the 1075s are sold as 11s (which locally are hard to get) but are actually a bit smaller.

The only solution I have found to caps jamming is to use a wooden dowl to really push them on when loading. I have missed a target before now when a hot, used cap has fallen off and landed between my hand and the grips.
Someone has told me that if you dry fire the pistol to 'peen'(?) the ends of the nipples the caps stick on better but I have never tried it.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target.........
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." General John Sedgwick
TheSquire
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:25 pm

TheSquire wrote: ............Someone has told me that if you dry fire the pistol to 'peen'(?) the ends of the nipples the caps stick on better but I have never tried it.

If you flatten the nipples by dry firing a cap and ball revolver you will short the overall length of the nipples and therefore experience misfires. That was a dry firing mistake that I made early on with a cap and ball revolver. The shortened nipples wouldn't reliably fire a cap.

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby weebeestie » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:36 pm

Coldfinger wrote:bashed caps dropping off and jamming the cylinder

Had this problem as well on my Ruger Old Army
The existing nipples were worn, enlarging the flash hole. This caused backpressure on the caps, blowing them out and falling into the action
New nipples were fitted so now the fired caps mostly stay on.
Holding the pistol canted over to the right when cocking stops the occasional falling cap fouling the action.
weebeestie
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Coldfinger » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:42 pm

It's been a while since I started this thread.

If you don't like whining shooting posts then click "Back" now.

I bought a set of nipples only to find the flash holes were so tiny they were unreliable. I swapped those and got some which were just the same as the originals - crack, bang and jam.

Tried No 11's, tried 1075's, tried different 10's but all to no avail.

Nipping, pushing on with a lolly stick, swearing at them doesn't help.

In recent weeks, after not being able to get off several more shots in the Timed & Rapid competitions, I browsed several shooting sites and got the impression that Treso Ampco's were the nipples of choice so I bought a set. These nipples, suitable for the .36 Pietta Remington 1858 New Model Army Stainless, require No 11 caps. My local RFD got me some No 11's this week and today was the day to try them out (in competition).

The Timed & Rapid competition starts with 12 shots in 7 minutes. No time allowed for sighters just get on and shoot. Fired the first shot and the cap split, fell off and jammed between the frame and the cylinder. :(

Shots went all over the place... found the blade on the rear sight rattling about :( :bh:

One cap fell off unfired :bh: :bh: :bh:

More jamming :mad: :mad:

This gun used to shoot perfectly for me and now it makes me want to scream.

Timed & Rabid :cry:

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:10 pm

Just get rid of the gun and stop moaning so much :roll: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:22 pm

Well, I guess that you're having a good day. I check the SASS web site for their solutions to the problem. One fellow said that he found that the hammer wasn't squarely hitting the cap. Once he flushed the edges of the nipples for an even strike his problem went away. They also suggested polishing the hammer face to ensure it's smooth. Squaring the hammer face to the nipples sounds like a reasonable approach. Alternately you could sell the gun to Side-by-side. I haven't shot much cap and ball of late. It's been a problem for me too however it's only happened on occasion not as a routine issue. I have and original Colt Navy. I haven't shot it a much and it seems to handle the caps without issue. If you stop by Rhode Island some time you could see for yourself. ;) ;) ;)

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Coldfinger » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:30 pm

flintlok wrote:One fellow said that he found that the hammer wasn't squarely hitting the cap. Once he flushed the edges of the nipples for an even strike his problem went away. They also suggested polishing the hammer face to ensure it's smooth. Squaring the hammer face to the nipples sounds like a reasonable approach.

:hmm:

Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:01 pm

flintlok wrote:Didn't Keef just mention that he is now the proud owner of a cap and ball pistol? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Keef does not and never has possessed a black powder gun of any description.

The nearest ownership was a cast toy gun that used caps on a roll of paper when I was very young.

Black powder - loud, dirty and smelly and that's just the shooters!

:grin: :razz: :grin: :razz:
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Coldfinger » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:37 pm

If I lower the hammer it can either fall to the centre or to the left. Without dry firing I don't know if it usually lands in the centre or not. It never sits to the right.

Hammer.jpg

:?

Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:40 pm

Keef wrote:
flintlok wrote:Didn't Keef just mention that he is now the proud owner of a cap and ball pistol? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Keef does not and never has possessed a black powder gun of any description.

The nearest ownership was a cast toy gun that used caps on a roll of paper when I was very young.

Black powder - loud, dirty and smelly and that's just the shooters!

:grin: :razz: :grin: :razz:

Here's your golden opportunity. Coldfingers pistol will be up for sale soon and you can be next in line after SidebySide.

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:46 pm

Coldfinger wrote:If I lower the hammer it can either fall to the centre or to the left. Without dry firing I don't know if it usually lands in the centre or not. It never sits to the right.

Hammer.jpg

:?

Send to Keef so he can square up things. He needs a black powder pistol to play with. Those sleezy Italian guns always have a fatal flaw that needs correction. There are loads of guys working on or fixing those things as a cottage industry in the US. I have an Italian repro 1863 musket with a aftermarket barrel and lockwork. Their crap was junk.

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sidebyside » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:15 pm

flintlok wrote:
Here's your golden opportunity. Coldfingers pistol will be up for sale soon and you can be next in line after SidebySide.

I don't collect scrap metal , pleased to know you have a Cogswell and Harrison , I have had 2 in the past , both were reliable solid guns .
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:20 pm

FWIW I have a single action Colt .44 Cattleman. The bloke I bought it from had fitted shotgun primer nipples. Those things don't fall out for sure and they go with a hell of a bang. If you can get a set of such nipples that will solve the problem. The only thing I'm not sure about is the firing pin may need changing.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder